“great location, rooms need fine-tuning”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #44 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My mum and I stayed for the night in a twin room with a view as we had tickets for a show. Location is perfect, only 5 minutes from James street station, and comfortable walking distance to the Albert dock, Liverpool one, the cavern. Reception staff very friendly, we arrived just after 11am expecting to just leave our bags but were told our room was ready which was a nice surprise.

We were on the 10th floor and the view was fab, the room was small, only enough walking space for 1 person around the beds, the beds moved too easily that i almost fell off when sitting on the edge however they were very comfortable. the bathroom was a tiny space and a real letdown, the sinks enamel was cracked and peeling and looked very dirty as did the rest of the bathroom, the rim wooden rim around the sink and the bath had chunks missing and there were fingerprints and limescale everywhere, the shower could also do with updating. The TV had only 5 working channels which didn't bother us for 1 night but could bother those staying longer.

Breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice for either a hot or cold breakfast, toasters not great and could do with more as there was a bit of a que forming. The price was good and i would stay here again purely for that and the location.

Room Tip: choose one with a view and as high up as possible, i can imagine the average rooms being a bit gloom...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lpitman
Catherine S, Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Iptman

Thanks for the comments, I am glad you loved the views and are breakfast.
The hotel at present is having some maintenance done on it i.e. with the sinks and the bathrooms so hopefully when you return you should see a marked improvement.
If you are planning another trip please ask our reservations department what the supplement is for an executive room as these are more spacious and may be more suitable if you are sharing again.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,360)

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel as I have never stayed in a hotel before and this for my first experience was bad first of all I booked a superior room with a river view and an apparent balcony I didn't even see a balcony on this hotel and I was looking at a car park the room was freezing cold when we got there I also booked for 2 people and when we arrived they said it was for 1 and I had to pay more the bathroom was dirty I had to clean the toilet before we could use it, the food was not as they said we paid £13 for a sandwich that said was all freshly made with fresh ingredients the bread was hard and the meat was from a packet also in the morning we were woke by a house keeper entering our room at 8:20 without knocking we had no apology no refund no offer of anything I wouldn't pay to stay here again and with this being my first experience of a hotel I was truly disappointed

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank Tezzagee

Dear Tezzagee,

Thanks for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the disappointing stay perhaps you could contact our Relationship Manager nikki.palmer@thistle.co.uk. So I can investigate why you didn’t experience the normally high standards you have every right to expect and clarify some inaccuracies.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Average 3 star hotel in Liverpool with acceptable rooms. We stayed for new years eve 2013 booking the Gala dinner with the hotel and the room through a website which was cheaper than the hotel. Meal was fine, as was breakfast .Entertainment dreadful, did not cater for audience and 5 minutes before minute group were messing around on the computer and not attempting to build any atmosphere. We ended up in the residents bar. Reason i have given 1 star is hotel took money they said I owed without telling me from my debit card on 02/01/2014 without informing me. I only spotted this on a bank statement. The hotel took a week to investigate this which I had to chase and admitted their error. To date 25/01/2014 I am still waiting for my refund. Be very careful if you give your card details to this hotel. Will not stay again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisBarbara

Dear ChrisBarbara,

Thank you for your feedback. The entertainment has been very popular with guests for many years on New Years Eve, I am sorry it wasn’t to you liking and have fed this back the F & B Manager along with your other comments.

We do offer best rate guarantee on all our rates for guest’s peace of mind. Not all online travel agents follow the same accounting procedures and it appears this is where the error may have occurred. Whilst we can refund a charge relatively quickly it does depend on the bank and can vary in the length of time taken to be received by the company. Please contact our accounts team directly to get closure on this refund. However please do accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We came over for a game at the weekend, a group of 4 lads staying in two twin rooms.

The rooms were clean and tidy but very small and cramped.

The hotel bar is extremely small but charges very big prices, 8 bottles of Bud cost £36.

We got taxis everywhere which cost around £5 a time and this was purely for handiness for us as we do not know Liverpool.

We paid over the odds for the rooms but that was down to the fact that there was a match on.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 10th floor and it was a box room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris M

Dear Chris M,

Thank you for your comments, I hope the match result was a good one. I do sympathise that bar prices are higher than many local pubs and that on event days in the city hotel stays will be at a premium. Guests that can be flexible with dates will be able to get some great deals on our promotional rates. Executive rooms do offer more space and might be a better option in the future. Reception has detailed maps and the team can advise to save you getting taxis in future.
I do hope we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Have stayed here a number of times and always enjoy it. The girl on reception was very friendly and helpful as well as efficient and was checked in in a matter a few minutes. The room was nice and big with a sofa and couple of chairs so was very comfortable.

The restaurant was nice and bright and recently been refurbed, however the breakfast the time we ate wasonly warm and was not the greatest we have had, just passable. The ladies in the restaurant were very friendly and efficient.

Overall a great stay and look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, Operations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear J0hnC0sta

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, which are much appreciated.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, Apologies that the breakfast was not at our normal standard, I have passed this on to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I awarded this hotel 3stars because of its location. Just a few mins. walk from the shops Ecco Arena, river side etc.(I was there to see Andre Rieu concert.) bedroom was functional and clean although cold when we arrived. Breakfast was adequate. Car parking however is not attached to the hotel but around the corner in another building. This is not obvious when you arrive. Customers need to enter the hotel to request directions (not easy with very limited parking space outside of the hotel) Worth researching other hotels in the immediate area.
I saw but did not use the fitness centre.

Room Tip: A room at the front would offer a view of the river.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Culley42
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Culley42,

Thanks for your review, and I am sorry that you were less than enthusiastic about your stay.
We are one of the few hotels in the City who have a car park and endeavour to ensure that price is significantly more attractive that the Privately operated Car Parks nearby.
I do recognise it is not on site, though there are bays at the front of the hotel to drop luggage off and it is very close by.
I’m glad location was ideal for you, though we do not have a fitness centre on site as your review suggests.
We also have a number of different room types available with small supplements for larger corner rooms.
I do hear your comments regarding temperature on arrival. During the winter months we do have the maids activate the in room heating prior to guest arrival in rooms, and I am sorry if this did not happen in your specific room and will follow up with housekeeping to ensure this happens consistently.
Thanks again for your comments,

Alistair Risk

Reviewed 15 January 2014

With our 2 hungry boys we popped into the Thistle for dinner before catching the ferry to Dublin. The restaurant was booked for a function and we were directed upstairs to the bar, where we were told that the same menu was available to us, but that with the function the kitchen was very busy and we might have to wait longer than usual. We explained that our time was limited as we had the ferry to catch; the bar staff undertook to 'do their best'. They duly did - we were served as quickly as we could have hoped for, with a fresh, tasty meal.
Simply, good and responsive customer service. With the friendliness I'd hope to find in Liverpool...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bus_and_fam_traveler,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, which are much appreciated.
I am so pleased that despite the event taking place my team were able to respond positively to your individual needs and did so with a smile!

Many thanks for spreading the word online.
With best regards