“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

a) good location
b) reception staff friendly and helpful
c)bedroom was very hot even thought we reduced the room temperature
d) bar area needs someone in charge. The tables had been wiped, but all the wipe marks were visible on the tables ... perhaps a dry cloth might be needed to buff up? When we visited papers and empty plastic bottles were on the floor - looked at by the bar staff - who seemed totally disinterested in clearing anything up. Bar staff (evening) were unwelcoming
e) food in the bar was ok but expensive and the lettuce and tomato garnish looked as though it had been out on the town for a few days before being plonked on to a plate

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ratty2014
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Ratty2014.
Thank you for your comments I have spoken with my Food & Beverage Manager who would like to be associated with my apologies for the lapse in standards. Please do get in touch when you are next in Liverpool and we can hopefully demonstrate our normally high standards.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My friend and I had another wonderful stay last week, everything was perfect as usual from the friendly check in to our favourite room 715 with fabulous views over the river, extras included chocolates, fluffy bathrobes and complimentary slippers. The staff at this hotel are some of the friendliest and helpful you could wish to meet. Delicious meal in the restaurant and a well stocked breakfast buffet will more than set you up for the day. I have seen some adverse comments on this site but in my own experience (over 15 stays) I cannot fault it.

Room Tip: Twin rooms 714 & 715 spacious with great views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Dear Duney.
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments which I have shared with the team. It is always a pleasure to get such great recognition. We hope to welcome you back soon.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is a clean and efficiently run hotel. The staff were very friendly and responded to requests quickly. The only drawback is that is does not have atmosphere. The breakfast was exceptional especially the fried eggs, which in other places go hard under the lights.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet349
Dear Janet349
I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and stay recently. I am new to the hotel but intend to keep working on improving on all guest feedback .Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

My boyfriend suprised me with a valentines night meal and stay in a beautiful panaramic room overlooking the Mersey. Pre drinks at the bar were slightly spoilt by the sherry that had been there a tad too long and flat beer but both were swiftly sorted. The meal however was perfect. The potato and leek soup was honestly the best Ive tasted and I like my soups! The chicken in mustard and honey sauce beautifuly juicy and the veg perfectly al dente. The double choc dessert was nice and rich with a bit of density showing good quality ingredience. Kevin our waiter was very profesional and delt well with the couple at the next table who were out to complain about anything and everything. He was attentive but not intrusive and added to our dinning experience. After a night on the town we returned to our room and took stock of the breath taking views across the Mersey and of the Liver building at the side. We left the curtains open to admire the view and orderd sandwiches from room service. 45 minuets later they arrived which was a tad too long to wait when your hungry! The room like the rest of the hotel had undergone a referb unfortunately the woodwork painting was of a very poor standard and some what spoilt the huge panaramic window but not the view. The bathroom was clean and functional and there was an iron provided. Not sure if there was a hairdryer as I didnt look. Hotel breakfasts are something we look 4ward to but unfortunately due 2 accomodating a diverted plane load of people it turned into a rugby scrum. Not enough staff, not enough food, tables left uncleared leading 2 long queues were unaceptable when u remember my boyfriend had paid a couple of hundred pound for a one night stay, no bacon!!! I understand that the chain probibly has a contract with the airlines but they should have emergency staff coverage 4 this situation. The mark for service would have been very low except 4 Kevin pulling it up 4 his individual effort. All in all though t was a great way 2 spend a valentines day!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Jan P
Dear Jan P .
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Please accept my apologies for areas were we felt short of the standards you should expect from Thistle Liverpool. The unexpected delayed flight arriving very late did cause the team some operational issues. The Department managers have taken steps to avoid any repetition in the future. I am pleased in general you enjoyed your Valentines Day at the Hotel. An extensive part of our menu uses all fresh food cooked to order. Chef has shared your kind comments with his team. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon and you can enjoy more romantic nights with the great view.

Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 3 nights room only accommodation.on arrival out room was not ready however it did not take long and we were quickly escorted to our room.the room itself was large with a view over the docks.the room was very clean and spacious for a city hotel.it is approx 5-10mins walk to Liverpool One and we did a lot of our sight seeing on foot.if I was to return to Liverpool I would consider staying again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Tracy A
I am pleased you had a great stay at the hotel and enjoyed your time in Liverpool. Check in, is from 2.30pm but we do try to get all our bedrooms ready earlier and will always store bags free of charge so guests can get the most from their day. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Always made very welcome we stop here a few times a year it is very handy for the Albert Dock And all other places of importance. Great breakfast. The staff are very helpfull. Very nice restaurant the dinner was just ok, but again the waiters could not do enough for you.

Room Tip: Don't pick the side of the hotel were the church bells are ( Sunday )
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear John W
Thanks for your lovely review. I have to agree the breakfast is great. In the future if dinner isn’t to your liking, please do let any member of staff know straight away as you know we are all keen to please so will be happy to change it.
We do look forward to welcoming you back and giving you a perfect stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I visit Liverpool every 3 to 4 weeks and always stay here - its usually very good, the staff are great and for me - its familiar.

This week however, I woke up to no water supply in my room - not in the washbasin, bath, shower or toilet.

Now, I know these things can happen anywhere and I have read recent reviews so I know the hotel had recently had some difficulty with its water supply.

The real problem was no one seemed remotely bothered or aware of the impact this had on guests. I was told that this was a widespread problem and I would have to bear with them. They were trying to get people in early to have a look at it but could give me no idea if or when the water would be restored.

I eventually left for my meeting unwashed, unshaven with unbrushed teeth - not a pretty sight and certainly not feeling good. I did get a token apology from the receptionist as I was calmly charged the usual £8 parking fee. Quite unbelievable.

On this stay (and I must be fair and say unusually) some surfaces in the bathroom were covered in dust and dirt from the extractor fan and there were hairs in the bottom of the bath.

Perhaps its time to check out some of the competition !

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mike2016852
Dear Mike05
I am sorry that your concerns haven’t been addressed sooner. I have recently started at the hotel and so am most concerned to hear that you didn’t receive the service and standards you have every right to expect from the Thistle Liverpool. I would be very keen for you to give us another opportunity to put things right and would really appreciate if you would contact either myself or nikki.palmer@thistle.co.uk.