“Great hotel but those damned bells!”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #43 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great location with great views of the Mersey and the famous liver building. Check in was extremely smooth and the staff were very pleasant and friendly. Booked a twin room and we were allocated a room on the tenth floor. The room was small but tidy and everything was as it should be.
I did not eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food. The city centre and shopping area is a brisk 10 minute walk away. The only complaint I could have was the fact that at 8.45 on a Sunday morning the Church bells started to ring out. This lasted for a solid 30 minutes and would have tested the patience of a Saint! If you are looking for a lie in on a Sunday morning then don't stay here. I guess I should have had an idea of what to expect considering the hotel is on Chapel Street!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Irish_Tourerist
I am sorry your lie in was disturbed by the bells. There has been a church on the site for over 800 years and so getting it changed is beyond our control. Obviously the rooms closest to the church are affected but in fact some guest actually like the bells and find it uplifting. The church does also have a lovely peaceful garden and you can spot the Liverpool’s 3rd Liver bird from there too.
I am pleased you found the staff pleasant and friendly and enjoyed the views of the city.
Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Can you believe it, we booked 3 rooms for the weekend without realising it was the last weekend of the football season and Liverpool were playing at home! Never mind.......
This hotel has plenty of plus points and a couple of niggles: first, the bed was superb - very comfortable indeed. Room aircon works well. Room is small but perfectly functional. Breakfast is exceptionally good and not to be missed at £10 per head. The bar is a nice space and offers great views over the Mersey. Friendly staff on reception.
Those minor niggles: the room door closes with a bang and we feared a noisy night from our neighbours (happily this did not happen) and the room cleaning was not quite up to scratch - not enough to make any complaint but odd crumbs etc. did not disappear when they should have done.
Room prices vary according to what's going on in the city: because a high proportion of Liverpool FC supporters live outside the city (and a surprising number come regularly from the Nordic region) hotels get busy and room rates rise when the team's playing at home so avoid these peak times if you want a lower room charge.
The hotel is well placed for the ferry, the Liver building and the Liverpool museum etc, and the stop for the sightseeing tour bus (recommended) is not too far away.
We shall undoubtedly visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a better view of the river
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear tonyinbrighton,

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed review of your stay. I am pleased you liked many of the good points in the hotel. You over looked a few crumbs on the carpet. This lapse in our standards is unacceptable. Our Housekeeping Manager takes the cleanliness of the hotel very seriously and isn’t happy that this was missed, we are sorry it wasn’t addressed promptly.
You sound as if you made the most of your visit to Liverpool, it is a great destination and our location means we are really convenient for the business and leisure traveller; including our National and international football fans too. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the room, We paid just under £200 including breakfast for 2 and car parking and when we got to the room my reaction was - is this it ? It was small without anything to make it stand out certainly nothing special, it was however clean and I found the staff to be friendly and helpful - our key card would not work and the housekeeper let us in without hesitation - she did check it was our room first - so the staff are security conscious, The breakfast room was light and airy and the breakfast was tasty the quality of the bacon/sausage was good and there was a lot of choice. If you want to stay quite central then this hotel is in a good spot for most places and it offers lovely views of the liver building and ferry terminal but its not an outstanding hotel it was in my opinion average with no wow factor hence my title I felt it was definitely overpriced and we felt underwhelmed by the room. We wont stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TracyH63
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear TracyH63,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry you were disappointed and felt the hotel room was overpriced. I suspect your trip may have clashed with an event in the city and similar to other industries demand does increase the price. Airlines and rail companies can double the price of seats for the same journey just hours later, but customers can get great prices by choosing alternative dates. We do have great promotions which offer exceptional value for money if you can be flexible on when you stay.
I am pleased you found the hotel clean, breakfast tasty and service good. I would dearly love you to give us another try when you next come to Liverpool. Please contact me on jonathanmarsden.@thistle.co.uk and I will make every effort to ensure you feel highly satisfied with your stay.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is very good for visiting Liverpool. It is located just over the road from the ferry terminal for the Isle of Mann and the Mersey Ferry, which allows easy access to the Liverpool waterfront. The city centre is around 10 minutes walk away. The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable and the rooms had a good view over the River. The staff were friendly and very helpful and in the morning the breakfast on offer was very substantial and had a wide range of food.

There is a car park located just behind the hotel which you do have to pay for at the reception. The downside is that it's also shared with several other companies. When we arrived there were only 2 spaces left, so I imagine that at peak times there would be nowhere to park the car. There is another pay and display car park located opposite the hotel.

All in all this hotel is the perfect place to stay in Liverpool.

Room Tip: Due to the shape of the building I think all rooms overlook the River Mersey in some form or another...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fish_LON

I agree that the hotel is excellent for visiting Liverpool and quite rightly very convenient for a trip to The Isle of Mann or even a ‘ferry across the Mersey’ experience to the Wirral and back.
Our car park is a great facility for a city hotel and generally is adequate. Many guest come via train and with 2 Mersey rail stations only 5 min’ away very convenient ,that a car isn't needed in Liverpool.
I am pleased you found the breakfast plentiful and the team very helpful and friendly.
Thanks for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

So many things wrong with this "4star" hotel:
1). Poorly staffed and lack of service (twice is the MAX num of times you can call reception about things, afterwards, they wouldn't pick up your call)
2). Dirty bathroom and VERY dirty furniture
3). Paid ~$280 for very subpar hotel,
4). Lobby wasn't clean

You know something's wrong when all other hotels are booked while this one still has room, only STAY here if you must, the poor experience (besides the money) alone can ruin your trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank wacked_fish

Dear wacked _fish,

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointing stay. From your comments there appears to have been a lapse in service and standards which I am very keen to investigate.
I would encourage any guest to contact the manager on duty at the time if there is an issue that they are unhappy about, that way we can get things resolved and allow you to enjoy your stay. Perhaps you would be kind enough to contact me - jonathanmarsden@thistle.co.uk and I can address your complaint.

On a separate note as one of the largest hotels in the city, our bedroom inventory can change daily, so having rooms available is not indicative of the service of the hotel. City events dictate prices and so if you can be flexible on dates there are great bargains to book.

We genuinely want all our guests to be highly satisfied with their stay and on behalf of the team I am sorry we failed on this occasion.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed overnight with my fiancé to celebrate my birthday and it was a perfect location to explore the tourist attractions of this wonderful city. Our room overlooked the iconic Liver building and the waterfront view at night was breathtaking. All the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was delicious and set us up for our second day's sightseeing. Would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen W,
It’s wonderful to hear that you had a perfect stay in Liverpool. All your lovely comments are shared with the team, thank you it means a lot. It is brilliant being so close to the Liver Building and seeing the waterfront at night is a great memory to have of your birthday celebration. I appreciate the recommendation and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is in a marvellous position right by the Liver birds buildings near Albert dock and near the city centre hotel itself very clean with really friendly staff reasonably priced bars and great views over the Mersey would recommend it no problem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear jaycee57-13

Thanks for the 5* review. I agree we are in a great position for seeing the centre of Liverpool. I am pleased you found everything to your liking with the hotel and thank you so much for the recommendation.