“Mixed reviews for this place”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Located next to the Mersey, and within walking distance of all Liverpool has to offer, I received a good price for this place at short notice.

Check in was okay, wouldn't say the receptionist was that happy to see me and wasn't interested at all.

I received a high floor as requested, with views over the river. The room was VERY small, in fact smaller than a Premier Inn. The view was impressive, but I personally felt a little caged in.

10 min walk to Liverpool One and all the shops, parking is hard to find, blink and you miss the entrance, which is around the corner.

I wanted to write a better review, but taking everything into account, I'm not sure I would be rushing back here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Darryl M
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Darryl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you managed to get the bedroom at a good price and enjoy the river view from your room. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service at check in. We normally receive glowing praise about reception so it is disappointing to hear we didn’t deliver on this occasion and my Reception Manager has asked to be associated with my apologies.
We are lucky enough to have our own hotel car park 3 min walk from the hotel which is located on Rumford Place. Access is through an arch way in to a court yard. It does have two huge Flag poles that protrude from the wall but I am sorry if the directions were not clear enough.
It is always our intention for guest to be highly satisfied with their stay and I would encourage you to speak a Duty Manger at any time if you need anything to improve your stay. We would be delighted to welcome you back.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

What a gorgeous hotel.
Food was fab very short walk to shopping district. Looks onto the docks. Residence bar exclusively for residents as it's on a hidden floor. Staff could not help any more than they offered. Would recommend & I would return big thumbs up!

Stayed: September 2013

Dear AIJ071102

Thank you so much for the thumbs up. Please be assured we share all comments with the team who will be so please to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We would of course be delighted to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

It was nice staying in the Thistle Atlantic Tower again after eight years. The rooms and the restaurant have held up much better than the lobby and other public spaces.
but the main reason you stay at a hotel is for the rooms and they were clan and comfortable. We had a room facing the Mersey river which made the views great.
I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river.

Dear Captmark20

Thank you so much for the recommendation and I am glad you chose the Atlantic Tower for your return journey to Liverpool. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, including the hotels location and river view; although I must add the heritage views are equally stunning and can be just as interesting.
I hope we get to welome you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed on a Friday night for a works outing in Liverpool, room small but okay checking in was fine and help with parking but you have to pay. After checking out found out I had left an item of clothing in the room phoned the hotel within 2 hours they promised to ring me back after more calls no response very poor customer service will not be staying again

2  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike M

I am sorry you have been left dissatisfied with your recent stay at the hotel. We are one of the few hotels in the city that do have a car park and being a city centre location it is necessary to charge. I completely understand your frustration at not having your call returned. Something has clearly gone wrong as we normally have quite a robust procedure for lost property. Please feel free to contact my Housekeeping Manager gill.molloy@thistle.co.uk if you are still missing your item of clothing. Please accept my apologies and please be assured this is not indicative of our normally high standards of service.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Firstly the location of this hotel is smack bang in the centre of Liverpool city centre, literally across the street from the Liver building and a 5 minute walk to the Albert dock and the city centre. So a great base for anything you may wish to do in the city.
The hotel was a little tricky to find using the sat nav (avoid the pay toll Birkenhead tunnel when planning your route)
When we arrived the hotel car park was completely full so we had to use a near by multi-storey car park.
Our room was immaculately clean and well appointed with a fantastic view of the river and the Liver building.
Although it is no fault of the hotel and very little they could do to correct it we were woken early on Sunday morning by the sound of the church bells from the church across the street and the bell tower was very near to our hotel window.
Over all the room and location were excellent but at £100 prpn excluding breakfast i would be inclined to think a little steep in price.

Room Tip: Maybe a room away from the bell tower if you do not what the early wake up call.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Danswad,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear the hotel was ideally located for you to easily explore the city. For future please use Sat Nav (L3 9AG) to avoid being directed through the Birkenhead tunnel. Our room prices are generally very competitive with other city properties but if you can be flexible on dates you can often get a great deal. Breakfast vouchers can be pre purchased on check in and are discounted to £10 pp for unlimited buffet breakfast. I am sorry about the church bells which are more likely to disturb you if you are in the room opposite. It is frustrating as those rooms do have amazing heritage city views.
I do hope we can welcome you back to Liverpool soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Works trip to Liverpool just as the British Open started. The only Hotel we could find with rooms so we were not expecting the greatest of accommodation or service, but we were very very wrong.
The rooms are good, the staff team were more than good (In fact the two team member on night duty on Thursday 17th were beyond exceptional coping with some very difficult situations from some of my less sober colleagues), nothing was to much trouble. And I have to say that even the breakfast was better than one could normally expect from a hotel of this range.
As for location we could not have had better, just over the road from the liver building, close to all of the amenities, the city center and within easy walking distance of the train station, the cathedrals and China town.
he only thing stopping this being a 5 star review is that I felt that the ramped entrance for wheelchair users was a little steep and narrow

Dear Dennis H

Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor and I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations. The team will be greatly encouraged by your kind words and particular our Night Manager Nicola. I admit the ramp at the hotel is steep and a design flaw from when the hotel was built; we do suggest guest use the rear entrance of the building for wheelchair access.
It was lovely to hear you enjoyed your breakfast along with room and the convenience of the hotel location.

Operation s Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked this hotel nearly a year ago for the Open. The price paid was very competitive relative to what it became.
The hotel clearly needs some tlc and I am sure that Thistle will do that shortly as the hotel is in a great location. Any debate by the hotel on that statement just requires a walk down the stairs instead of the lift.
Check in was fine and we made our way to our rooms. Wow what a great view and wow what a great space. All very clean and tidy. Air con has been fitted and can be left on at night i.e. it's not too noisy. The bathroom was large and appeared to have been recently worked on.
We ate in the hotel on two nights and the food was fine. The sausages at breakfast need to be improved on.
The biggest annoyance was on the second night being told that we had not pre-authorised a credit card. Had that been the first night I might have understood that something had happened at check in that meant that paying for the rooms didn't include a pre authorisation. Second night is pure incompetence as dinners and drinks had already been charge on the first night. Why make a point? We had a guest who was charging drinks to the room and refusal to him would have been embarrassing. This issue was resolved quickly.
Overall -would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a room on Floor Twelve with a room looking over the Mersey.

Dear Dagnall07

Thanks for posting a review of your experience at the Thistle Atlantic and I do hope you enjoyed your time at the Golf Open. I am glad you were impressed with your room and great view along with effective air-conditioning. I am pleased you enjoyed the food apart from the sausages and your comments have been shared with the team to address.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the card pre authorisation and incorrect check-in procedures. It was a very busy week however that is no excuse for the lapse in standards and I understand how embarrassing it could have been. Retraining is taking place to avoid any repetition in the future.
On a positive note it is great to hear you would still choose to return to the hotel ans we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Operation s Manager