“Ideal location”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #44 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“Ideal location”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here for a night. Excellent location, 2 mins from ferry port. Very helpful staff allowed us to check in 4 hours early. Rooms are small but have everything you need. Lovely roof terrace with beautiful views of the Mersey and Liver buildings. Large choice for breakfast, really enjoyed my stay. Looking forward to the next stay

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Sammi J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A shambles, understaffed, rude couldn't care less managers and staff had no idea what they were doing, hotel without informing us decided to try to rip us off for an extra £20 to use a terrace , bars were understaffed and bar staff had no idea if food was being served they had no idea as to Whoes turn it was to be served and one on second floor bar thought it was preferable to stock a fridge rather than serve a customer... If this is the way they run hotels then mike denoma should be sacked. Small overpriced rooms with baths suitable for midgets, RIP OFF

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank natrasleep
Nikki P, Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide a review following your recent stay with us at the Thistle Liverpool, the Atlantic Tower.

I was very sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction.

Last weekend was a particularly busy one for the whole of Liverpool with unprecedented numbers of people coming into the city to see the Giants, which was also helped by the almost perfect weather. Our Hotel was also extremely busy and due to the city being so full and guests finding it difficult to access shops, bars and restaurants, a lot of our guests decided to stay in the hotel putting additional service pressures onto the hotel teams.

There was a pre bookable barbeque event on the terrace which was communicated on our web site home page under events as well as by social media channels from early June. We also communicated this to guests who were staying with us at the weekend via e mail prior to arrival, however this was only possible when we had contact details provided at the reservation stage. Due to health and safety requirements we are limited for space in Vu bar and on the terrace, the barbeque offering allowed guests the opportunity to guarantee a view of the giants as they passed the hotel. As well as the paid barbeque event, we had ensured additional space was available for hotel guests who arrived wishing to see the giants, however once we reached capacity, we had to restrict access to this area, particularly as people were congregating around the safety barriers and some had been consuming alcohol. We did offer hotel guests use of the restaurant area which is directly below the terrace and had exactly the same views of the giants as they were passing.

The health and safety of our guests and the team is my main priority and I will always ensure this is the case. I am sorry if you were not able to access the terrace on Saturday evening.

I am sorry that you felt that the team were disorganised. I can confirm that our computerised 'point of sale' system used for food and beverage orders in the bars and restaurant failed on Saturday and the team had to revert to a manual system which they were not used to using. This also had a negative effect causing delays in service and food delivery during an already busy service period. I can confirm that the system is not back up and running and I am sorry for any delays caused by this. This was not expected and is not a common occurrence in the hotel.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused during the event on Saturday, this was not our intention by any means.

Kind regards

Steven Devine
Chester
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked this hotel months ago as we knew the Giants were in Liverpool, I booked 4 rooms for me and my husband and 6 of our friends, we travelled from Shropshire, Glasgow, Sheffield & Leeds, it cost £100 per room without Breakfast per night, we didn't mind this as we were told it has a viewing bar on the 1st floor and another one on the 2nd, that had a terrace overlooking the river and right where the Giants would be walking past, we were delighted as we thought we would stay in the bar and have drinks and enjoy the parade from up high, I actually went into the Hotel a few weeks ago to check we had river view rooms and they confirmed we could use all the facilities, were were all excited and delighted we had chosen a great hotel, how wrong was I? we all went up onto he terrace for a drink about 1.30, by 2.30 we were made to feel really uncomfortable as they had decided 3 weeks before that they could cash in on this event and charge £20 each to people to watch the parade,they had advertised this to the public, I had no knowledge of this event,consequently, most of these people were NONE residents, we were told we would have to leave, after arguing we were staying here the staff were not interested and carried on dragging chairs around, we went back to the 1st floor bar and were told we could go back up, back up again and they said we couldn't??? we went down to the bar again where we waited for 15 mins to be served, I was telling the bar staff who was next to be served as they didn't have a clue and people were getting really fed up, it was pathetic, there were staff behind the bar who were not trained and they were using one lads key for the till, they were clueless, nobody knew the answer to a simple question which was " Are you still serving food"? if the hotel knew there was such a big event on they should have had more staff in, the other staff were too busy getting ready for the BBQ that they had cashed in on, they had our money and were not interested in us as guests, all the staff were getting shouted at and were all worn down, I marched off to leave, I met a "Manager" with glasses on by the lifts doing basically nothing, I told him I was annoyed and his reply to me was "I'm sorry you feel like that" and did NOTHING, he also didn't believe I was staying int he hotel, I was less than happy to say the least, 2 other members of staff used that phrase to us later lol it's laughable, Laura from Reception intercepted us and tried her best to calm us all down, she said I will get you drinks and a table, we followed her upto the 1st floor bar where she dragged chairs for us all, took our drinks order and gave me a bill for £41, I would have thought after all we would have been given a drink. All the staff were moaning about the lack of information, they had not been briefed or given any instructions, they said the managers who had organised he BBQ were off that day and one was at a party downstairs at a party (They had chairs) We felt ripped off, the lack of management guidance is evident, filtering down to the downtrodden unhappy staff, one staff member told us the hotel is "average at best" we went outside on Sunday morning and there were 4 staff set up selling coffee and bacon sandwiches on the street to the public who were watching the Giants, one lad with glasses was shouting really loud at a Policeman who was waking past, he said "IT WASN'T ME OFFICER" about 6 times,he thought he was a comedian, we all stood there in shock, is this the face of Thistle hotels??? as a Scouser I was cringing.I had boasted to my friends about how friendly the city is and to take no notice of the stereotypes they had heard about and he is there like a mad thing screaming like a fishwife, it was shameful.
We checked out, we were served by a miserable unfriendly girl called Rani, she didn't ask how our stay was, she didn't say please or thank you, she had a face to the floor, we actually laughed as it summed up our stay.

One member of staff was outstanding, John in the late night bar, we watched him interact with guests and he was a credit to Liverpool, maybe he will see sense and get himself a new job because we think he is wasted there.

This lack of customer service was down to Pure greed, the hotel was more interested in making more money with no regard to the comfort of guests who had paid months before, if they had said there is a package for the Giants for £120 everyone would have been quite happy, but to take our booking and then put conditions on the facilities that they advertise for guests is disgraceful, I will be contacting Thistle Hotels directly with photo evidence of the poor service and I want a FULL refund for me and our friends.
We stayed in The Blackburne Arms Pub the night before which was outstanding,and a lot cheaper, anyone reading this, stay there instead or the Raquet club over the road with a fantastic breakfast

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Terrorchic
Dear Reviewer

I was very sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction.

There was a pre bookable barbeque event on the terrace which was communicated on our website home page under the events section as well as by social media channels from early June. We also communicated this to guests who were staying with us at the weekend via e mail prior to arrival, however this was only possible when we had contact details provided at the reservation stage. Due to health and safety requirements we are limited for space in Vu bar and on the terrace, the barbeque offering allowed guests the opportunity to guarantee a view of the giants as they passed the hotel. As well as the paid barbeque event, there was also additional space made available for hotel guests who arrived wishing to see the giants, however once we reached capacity, we had to restrict access to this area, particularly as people were congregating around the safety barriers and some had been consuming alcohol. The hotel team did try to create as much space and seating as we were allowed to provide for the event as you witnessed by the introduction of chairs and tables. As the Giants were scheduled to pass between 7.10 and 7.30pm, we thought that by doing this at 2.30pm, we would have plenty of time, not realising that guests would be on the terrace from early afternoon waiting for this event. We did offer hotel guests use of the restaurant area which is directly below the terrace and had exactly the same views of the giants as they were passing.

I am sorry that you felt that there was a lack of management presence on the day, however I can confirm that all operational heads of department were present and on duty during the weekend and the event taking place in a separate area of the hotel was a pre booked event which an assistant head of department was attending and had no relation to the barbeque.

Thank you for your kind comments about John. I will ensure that they are forwarded onto him.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any disappointment faced during the weekend, should you wish to discuss this further, my e mail address is steven.devine@thistle.co.uk.

Kind regards

Steven Devine
Reviewed 27 July 2014

On an impulse we went for a trip to see the giants. The Atlantic tower was the perfect choice. Wonderful viewing from the restaurant with basic but decent food and excellent service. The room was good. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Ideal location for a great city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marion G
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Marion G,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and your trip to Liverpool to see the Giants. The Event was hugely popular and a great plus that the route took them past the hotel. It’s pleasing you had a great view from the restaurant with decent food and excellent service and that the team were pleasant and helpful. Thank you so much for the 5* review.

Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at the Atlantic tower last night. Hotel was fine ( though the room was a bit small) with staff very courteous and friendly. BUT the food was very poor. The menu was basic pub style grub, it was obviously brought in pre-prepared and reheated. Tasteless and unappetising with no input from a chef. I would expect much better from a thistle hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Girvburger
Dear Girvburger,

Thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies along with my Head Chef for the lapse in food standards. The hotel menu offers dishes from around the world as well as British classics such as Fish &Chips and Sirloin Steak. We also have a 3 course daily Market Menu which has Chefs Specials. The majority of the food is fresh and prepared and cooked to order on site. Chef is carrying out re training on menu standards in light of your feedback as you have every right to expect good food from a Thistle Hotel. I do hope we get the opportunity to demonstrate this to you in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of friends years ago. Loved how central the hotel is, 10 mins from the nightlife & 5 mins from the Docks. Perfect location!
We had a triple room with 2 single beds and a camp bed. It was clean, spacious and very quiet.
To sum it up, I'd definitely stay here as would my friends.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RabbitWithAttitude
Dear RabbitWithAttitude

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad you and your friends found the hotel to be the ideal base for exploring the city, both day and night and we hope to welcome you all back in the not too distant future.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at this very handy hotel for it's location to the city centre.We didn't use the facilities, as we used the many in city centre. Great place to stay and would highly recommend a
visit.
The city has so much to offer and a tour of the World renowned Cavern is a must. Great bars and restaurants to temp you between the many tourist attractions.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Tony M
Dear Tony M,

Thank you so much for the 5* review. I am very pleased to hear you found the hotel very convenient and would recommend the hotel for future stays in Liverpool.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.