“Another 5★Stay”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I don't normally keep writing 5★reviews for the same place but on reading some of the negative feedback written lately l feel l must add yet another one defending this great hotel, my friend and I had another 2 night stay here this week and firstly I might add that I have stayed in many of the newer hotels in Liverpool over the years as I only live across the river so this is a very fair review anyway here goes the staff are second to none you only have to ask for something and it's there and never have l heard anyone shout at a guest, the food has never disappointed and trust me we do like nice food! No burgers/pizzas for us, I can particularly recommend the homemade mushroom soup with hot crusty bread we had for lunch best l've had outside Scotland! and the perfectly cooked salmon in a tangy jus at dinner, the breakfast has everything you could wish for from a variety of different cereals, fresh fruits,cold meats and and cheeses to the fully stocked hot buffet station, it was very full during our stay so breakfast was busy but we were still seated and served with our hot drinks within 5 minutes. I cannot comment on room sizes as we always have 714/715 (twin)or 914/915 (double)which are lovely and have fabulous panoramic views overlooking the river. The Vu bar serves delicious cocktails which can be enjoyed on the outside terrace overlooking the river, the main restaurant also has the same panoramic viewand is lovely at night, and no I'm not employed by Thistle :-)))

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank duney
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very kind and considerate feedback following your recent stay with us at the Thistle Liverpool.

I am pleased to note that you are a regular visitor to the hotel and your feedback gives a great overview of the service and facilities offered. I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us and thank you for your continued loyalty.

Unfortunately there are times when things can go wrong in a service lead industry which operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The team are very passionate about looking after our guests and ensuring they have a great stay (as you have personally experienced). All we ask is that if something goes wrong our guests allow us the opportunity to correct it there and then – there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day and our General Manager is also available as required. It can be very disheartening when we learn of guest dissatisfaction after the stay, however I am really pleased that you have always found the hotel meets your needs in terms of facilities and service.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future. Please don’t hesitate to contact me direct via Nikki.Palmer@thistle.co.uk and I will personally ensure your reservation requirements are looked after.

Kind regards

Nikki Palmer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,336)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had a death in the family and was told that they would book me into a room with breakfast. When I arrived I was told I had no breakfast included and the person who told me had left. I was shouted at in front of other guests and will never stay here again after this embarrassment

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Gambloratron

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback via Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at the Thistle Liverpool.

I was very sorry to learn of your experience which is definitely not the norm for our hotel as you can see from previous reviewers – the service received from our team is always spoke of very positively. I understand that there was some initial confusion with your reservation upon arrival at the hotel, but by the time you had reached your room our General Manager contacted you and he was able to resolve the confusion at the time to your satisfaction.

Once again please accept our apologies for the confusion, particularly at this difficult time for you.

I do hope that you would choose to stay with us again should you return to Liverpool. Please contact me direct via nikki.palmer@thistle.co.uk and I will ensure your reservation is personally looked after.

Kind regards

Nikki Palmer

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Pleasant, clean, well situated hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Stayed here on a recent business trip as was close to pretty much everything and had received good reviews previously.

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable with a nice view over the Mersey, albeit could maybe do with a coat of paint here and there. I can't complain, or at least I thought I couldn't until I ate there.

Being somebody that enjoys their food and in particular the recent burger boom, I visited the Vista bar & restaraunt and order myself the blue cheese burger. What I got was a plain, dry beef burger that had gone one too many rounds with the microwave. When I queried the location of the blue cheese, I was presented with a wedge of yellow looking blue cheese that had suffered the same microwaved fate as the burger.

Later in the week, I decided, after having many nice meals around the city, I would give the restaurant another chance. I ordered the pepperoni pizza with a side of olives. The olives arrived first, looking a bit more wrinkly than I would expect. Nevertheless I tucked in, only to be slapped in the face by the taste of vinegar and salt - no wonder the olives were wrinkled. The much anticipated pizza then arrived and, although I had neverr ordered pizza here before, looked all too familiar. Yes, I had picked up the exact same Chicago Town pepperoni with tomato stuffed crust number the week before whilst food shopping. Don't get me wrong, it was heated to perfection. Still, I felt somewhat abused paying £12.50 for a frozen pizza!

Back to the hotel, overall I found my stay very pleasant and would recommend a stay here. Take heed though, do not eat in the hotel. Especially when there is a vast array of cuisine available throughout the city.

• Stayed: August 2014
Nikki P, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear David S,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to hear you found the hotel a convenient place to stay whilst on business. Please accept my apologies along with my Head Chef for the lapse in food standards. This is clearly unacceptable and Chef is reviewing the training and actioning with some new members of the team. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay we would encourage you to speak with the Manager on Duty to get the issue rectified immediately. On a positive note I am delighted you found the team friendly and helpful and would return to the hotel.
Please feel free to contact nikki.palmer@thistle.co.uk or myself when you are next in Liverpool and we can ensure you receive the catering standards you have every right to expect.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We'd managed to secure an excellent deal (£69 for the room including full English breakfast) and felt this was great value for money.
The room (513) was admittedly small but the lack of space was made up for by the stunning view - straight across to the Liver Building and Pier Head. Amazing! The bed was supremely comfortable and the 'welcome tray' was well stocked with copious supplies of tea, coffee and biscuits. The bathroom whilst, again tiny, was spotlessly clean and whilst there was no walk in shower the one over the bath was powerful and easy to use. One small gripe concerns the lack of convenient mirrors in the bedroom which made using the in room hairdryer a tad difficult!
We didn't eat dinner in the hotel -(there being a wide selection of eating options in the immediate vicinity) but did have a late evening drink on the outside terrace. This was a little spoilt by the traffic noise and overpowering smell of drains (probably not the direct fault of the hotel)!
Breakfast the following morning was excellent with a wide choice and very friendly efficient service. By paying a small additional amount we were able to leave the car in the car park until late in the afternoon of the day we checked out. The car park is convenient, being in the adjoining street but whilst we were told it was manned, there was no evidence of this so security could be an issue.
Overall however we were extremely impressed by the hotel's location, efficient, friendly staff and general value for money and would not hesitate to return or recommend it to others,

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the Pier Head. Our favourable impression of the hotel might...
1  Thank Alison52

Dear Alison,

I am glad to read you were impressed with the hotel and had a great stay at the hotel and were able to take advantage of the promotional rates. We share all feedback with the team and they will be greatly encouraged by your comments. Thank you for the recommendation and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We did encounter a problem, but I must stress how the reception staff dealt with this - they could not have been more helpfull, resolving the problem and ensuring our stay was enjoyable. Top marks in "Customer Service" for all the staff at this hotel especially Receptionist Beth and Conciarge Mick they really went the extra mile to ensure thing were right for us.
Location and facilities are excellent and you can be assured of being treated as a valued customerl. My wife & I highly reccommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a corner room/suite overlooking the river. Well worth the extra cost.
1  Thank gbri46

Dear gbri46,

Thank you for the lovely 5* review on trip advisor. I am so glad to hear Beth and Micky looked after you so well they will really appreciate your comments. We do strive to ensure all guest are highly satisfied when staying at the hotel and I am glad you felt like a valued customer. Thank you for the recommendation.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We arrived early and we were able to check into our room which was small but adequate.The views of the Liver Building and Pier Head were stunning.The only issues we had was the noise from the adjoining room and from the main road.The terrace is lovely for enjoying a drink on a summer evening.The location is excellent with shops, restaurants, museums nearby.Breakfast was included in the package and this consisted of English or continental, this was lovely.The railway station is less than 10 minutes walk. Staff were all friendly and made you feel welcome.Good price for the package received. Would go back if in Liverpool, hopefully in a quieter room.

Room Tip: Dont choose Rm 513 at front by bar and main road
2  Thank lilackeith

Dear lilackeith,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Thistle Liverpool.
I am pleased you found the early check in useful we do try when we can so guest can get on with their day. The location is great and I am pleased you enjoyed the Terrace and breakfast. The quieter rooms are at the rear of the hotel but don't have the stuuning views you get from the the front and side bedrooms. We would be delighted to welcome you back and take in to account your room preference.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here with another couple as we had planned to spend time in Liverpool One, the Albert Dock and museums during the day and go to bars with live music at night, so, as it was my Birthday we decided to stay over.
We were very happy with the location and our rooms both had great views over the Mersey and the Liver Buildings.
The rooms were very clean and comfortable with coffee/tea, bottles of water, a hairdryer, safe, iron and plenty of coat hangers provided.
Check-in was quick and easy and despite us arriving early our rooms were ready.
We had a fantastic day out and didn't get back to the hotel until 7pm so we showered and changed and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. We met for a drink before dinner on the outside terrace which is lovely on a summer evening. We had been given vouchers for 2 bottles of wine so used these in the restaurant. Our meals were all lovely and good sized portions.
Following this we had a great night out in various pubs, of which there are plenty within walking distance of the hotel.
Breakfast was served until 10am the next morning and despite the hotel being busy the staff kept bringing out plenty of food. It was self service except for tea/coffee which was brought to the table.
The small car park is £10 a day and is on the next block back from the hotel. There is also a NCP car park across the road.
Again, checking out was easy and staff polite and helpful.
We all had an excellent stay here in this great city and are planning a return visit soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank maisymeg

Dear Maisymeg

Thank you so much for the glowing 5* review on Trip advisor. It is great that you loved the stay, found all the facilities to your liking and enjoyed the dinner, breakfast and the alfresco drink on the Terrace. We do share all the comments with the team so they will be delighted to hear you had an excellent visit and we look forward to welcoming you backing the not too distant future.