“Near Lime Street Station”

Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #43 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Near Lime Street Station”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I prefer Marriott Hotels as they are consistently good and staff seems to always be helpful and attentive. This Marriott proved to meet my expectations. The concierge jumped to the rescue when an email booking failed to materialize and saved the day for a tour we had planned. The rooms were clean and well outfitted and the housekeeping staff was always quick to respond when we asked for additional supplies. The location of the hotel is perfect for those coming in from Manchester Airport or Liverpool airport as the train station is just across the street and museums, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance,
The only drawback for gold and platinum members is that the hotel is not large enough to have an executive lounge. If it had one this hotel would have received an excellent rating. Still as I prefer Marriott this is still a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 2flyby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had a Group Reservation for Thursday 5th December for 19 rooms as I was entertaining a number of my clients at a Charity function locally in Liverpool.
Leading up to the day all arrangements were handled expertly by Janine in Group Bookings but sadly on the day I had a number of issues experienced by me and my guests which have caused some embarrassment and frustration.
I appreciate that storm conditions on the day did indeed cause chaos and the computer system was down but I’d like to detail some points as follows;

• One of my guests, had checked in earlier and as they were getting ready for the function the bedroom door opened as another of my other guests was allocated the same room and keycard at Reception. My Client was furious as his wife was naked just out of the shower and mortified. Indeed my other guest who walked in on them was also extremely embarrassed by this and did make her feelings known at Reception. I believe she did receive an upgraded room eventually.
• It was planned for all my guests to meet down in the bar for a few drinks prior to being transported to the function and I did notify Reception that we will all be gathering in the bar around 6.30pm for about 30-40 people to ensure we didn’t take anyone by surprise by turning up `en masse’. I wanted to put all my guests drinks on a tab and charge to my room number but due to the system failure I was told by the bar staff that I could not do this and I had to pay for the drinks on credit card. I had a number of complaints with this.
1 There were only two staff working behind the bar and the service was unbearably slow. Ice for the drinks seemed to be rationed! to one or two cubes per glass Most of my clients stood around waiting to be served and indeed a number ran out of time after waiting about half an hour as our transport was arriving to bus us to the venue.
2 Those clients who were served were asked to pay despite my insistence to staff that I wished to pay my guests drinks orders. This was both frustrating and unnecessary from my side and embarrassing from my clients side.

• Upon returning after the function around 1am, the place was in darkness and all my guests were practically accosted my an extremely rude, aggressive, arrogant and trumped up Night Security Card who practically `shooed’ them all off to their rooms stating they could not even sit in the lounge area for a night cap. My guests had had a wonderful evening and this chap single-handedly ruined the night for a number of my guests with his `over-authoritative’ and unpleasant attitude,
• Further, my client who experienced the earlier interloper (again!) on returning could not access his room with his keycard and had to ask this Night Security chap with the bad attitude to let him into his room and to his amazement was told that this was not his room and he wasn’t getting access to it. At this point after the events of earlier with his bedroom he was almost at the end of his tether and the incredibly poor attitude from this chap was the last straw for him.

I have never been so embarrassed in all my years. What was supposed to be recognition for my clients and my way of saying thank you at Xmas by entertaining them at the function and Hotel turned out to be an absolute nightmare.
In six years previously at the Hilton Liverpool we have never experienced such poor customer service with a catalogue of embarrassing and frustrating experiences. The only reason for moving from the Hilton this year was they did not have the rooms available for my booking as I left it too late, however it was also an opportunity to try somewhere different and the Marriott was directly across the road from the venue.
Having complained on check out the next morning I was informed that no-one was available and was given the business card of the General Manager.
Follow up email complaints to the General Manager were met with continued out of office messages and was eventually picked up by the Operations Director some two weeks later. After a half hearted apology and alleged investigation he was overly defensive of his staff with distracting claims about my clients wishing to consume their own drink which was ludicrous and completely untrue. These were senior business people with their spouses returning back after a black tie charity function.
In summary, the customer service experienced fell well short of what was both desired and expected and whilst appreciating the severe storm and computer failure did cause a number of issues, the way the staff handled this situation and subsequent grievance was completely unacceptable and not what you would expect of the Marriott standard. This Hotel needs to learn to treat guests complaints more seriously. No offer of recompense or even a gesture of goodwill, merely an attempt to shift blame onto my guests which is outrageous and something I will be taking up directly with Marriott HQ.
My word of warning if you are planning a Group booking in Liverpool.........there are plenty of other places to try if you don't want embarrassed!!

Room Tip: Beware of the over authoritative and sullen night staff!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here as a birthday treat and it was fantastic! Although placed in the wrong room , we then recieved champagne and choc strawberries for free! We had an amazing view over the gardens and st georges hall. Staff were lovely. Perfectly located , right in the city centre, close to everything yet quiet once in the room

Room Tip: 416 , corner room, amazing view
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, clean, comfortable and good staff! The hotel is very well located, close to the train station, you can walk all the city starting from this point. Don't forget to visit the museum of the City, take a beatles experience and of course, visit the Cavern!

Stayed December 2013
Headingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here recently while shopping in Liverpool. Its very central you can park in a subsidized car park next to hotel you literally walk out and the reception entrance is in front of you. We checked in had a friendly greeting and usual details provided our room was clean and well maintained the only issue which needed to be resolved was when card in the slot the electric buzzed so during the night we removed this to give a more peaceful sleep. Booked via 3rd party website we got a good deal and would stay again should we need to for any future shopping trips.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We used the Marriott as a base e to celebrate the New Year. It was very convenient to the City Centre and had a franchise with the multi storey car park opposite; The reception staff made us feel immediately at home and the directions for use of the hotel facilities were clear and concise. The rooms are large and very comfortable, with TV and Radio available over a wide range of channels. There was a restaraunt and snack bar, and a Health suite for the energetic. The location of the Marriott made for easy access to theatres, cinemas, clubs and bars, which made for a great visit to a vibrant and exciting Liverpool.

Room Tip: The higher you reach the greater the panoramic view of the city.
Wellingborough, UK
Reviewed 1 January 2014

First of all its a Marriott with typical Marriott standards which means you pretty much know what you are going to get and that means a good standard of accommodation.
Located close to Lime Street and a plethora of restaurants close by you will have a decent choice of eateries if you do not fancy hotel restaurants.
Pleasant check-in from staff who actually welcome you and are conversational. Helpful throughout and even arranged taxi in the morning and made recommendation for our onward journey.
Room was great - spacious, good shower, modern and very clean. Comfy bed and the high rooms have a great view across the city.
Breakfast was reasonable and I found it good value. It is cheaper if you book it the night before rather than on impulse in the morning.
Bar area relaxing and with Wi-Fi it was a great place to do a couple of hours of work.
The price I paid for the room was also good value for what you get which is decent Marriott comfort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business