“Time for a make over. ”

Ranked #39 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Time for a make over. ”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel looked tired and gloomy. Reception was dark and unwelcoming although reception staff were efficient and friendly.
Our room was perfectly clean but very dated. However our bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very quiet.
We were greeted at breakfast by a delightful young woman but after that things went down rapidly. It was sunday morning, the dining room wasn't particularly busy and there seemed to be plenty of staff on duty but guests had to wait while hot dishes were replenished ( often while the rest of their breakfast was getting cold). The bacon looked grey and uninviting ( I did ask for some to be cooked freshly for me and it was perfectly cooked when it arrived - why couldn't it all be like that in the first place?). The orange juice tasted cheap and unpleasant, there was a very poor choice of yoghurt and fruit and the cold meats looked sad and unappetising.
The only good thing was the "egg man" who cooked omelettes etc on request.
All in all it felt like we were staying in a budget hotel which we do not expect from a Marriott. I think it's time to spend some money if Marriott wants to keep up with the other hotels in their price bracket in the centre of Liverpool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 50Ruby55
Neil S, Manager at Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Ruby,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre.

You indicated in your response that the service at Breakfast was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Thai first
liverpool
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Great location nice clean rooms very comfy beds and a warm welcome on check in. The pool is nice and breakfast was good. We were on the sixth floor yes you can hear noise but it is a city centre location. Car park next door to hotel is good and £12 for 24 hours will return as it was a great stay

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

On a short stay basis, it was very good value indeed. Excellent deals are around if you look. The location for us was excellent - near Lime St. Station and the City Centre itself.

We received a very warm welcome at reception. Our bedroom was smallish but adequate, clean and well presented with tea / coffee making facilities albeit a bit lacking in quantity. There is a good health club including a 10m pool. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was very enjoyable and got the day off to a good start.

Three negative comments - sound transfer room to room and so much noise, particularly in the morning, from the corridor. One door, possibly a cleaners' store door, outside our room must have banged 20 times in as many minutes early in the morning. I scored 2 for sleep quality because of this. It didn't mean I had a bad night's sleep, I would just have liked another hour or so before this racket begun - I'm purely making a point to the hotel.

The other negative comment is minor but nevertheless important - the young lady at reception in the restaurant needs to learn to smile and be more welcoming. If she doesn't want to be at front of house, representing the hotel, she should perhaps consider a back of house job. Maybe it was just a bad day but is that acceptable?? We all have them, I guess!

Would we use the hotel again and / or recommend it for a short stay - Absolutely Yes.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor - the room was good but avoid being near the cleaners' store, if you ca...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is located about as close to Liverpool Lime St station as you can get, so if you're arriving by train it is ideal. I can't comment on the room rate as I used Avios points to book it (first time they've ever really come in useful, I have to admit). Popular evening areas like the Cavern Quarter are only a few minutes' walk away.

The greeting on reception was very friendly, the room was clean and bright. Slightly dated, but better quality furniture than the standard Premier Inn / Holiday Inn Express offering that I come to expect. Bathroom spacious, shower pressure good. Regrettably I didn't have a chance to try out the pool, but hope to next time.

Will almost definitely stay again on future trips.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location of the hotel is truly commendable......my partner was on a business trip n I decided to join in.....the hotel is located at the heart of the city centre,so I can easily stroll around n never felt bored...........There are three shopping centres nearby,a beautiful square to sit by n watch the world go by........the service of the hotel was excellent-the staff at the reception were very helpful,explained in details about where we can have our food......the breakfast was hearty n filling,again the staff there were very friendly,cheerful n helpful.......will definitely return to this hotel n recommend this hotel to our friends!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The uppermost rooms have excellent views of the city!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Western part
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is in the central business district, well located for the arts, pubbing, et cetera.
There are a lot of things within walking distance.
There is a self park adjacent.

The check in staff was very nice. They were quite helpful in suggesting local sites. The concierge, Ronnie, is an excellent asset to the hotel as he is personable and informative.

The hotel room was okay but due to the location, you can get a quieter room or a more noisy one, depending if you face the club/;party area or not.

The check out experience was very disappointing. I have platinum status with Marriott and one of the benefits offered is a free newspaper. I saw a GBP 2 charge on my bill and hence enquired about it.

This may not be verbatim, but one can get the jest of it....

"Is the newspaper included in the elite benefits?"

"Yes, but only if it is the Times".
"I did get the Times and there is a GBP 2 charge on my bill".
"The Times isn't GBP 2".
"Well, I did get the times and I was charged GBP 2"
More flack about the times not being GBP 2. I recall looking at the newspaper and it says quite plainly on the Sunday times, "subscriber price GBP 2" so I don't really know what she is talking about.

Anyway:
"Do you want me to go up and get the paper so you can see it is the Times?"
"No that's all right".
"You have agreed that I am to get the Times complimentary, what are we still talking about?"
"It is so you will know next time"

At this point, I am wondering what I am supposed to know for next time, I did ask for the times, she confirmed it is complimentary, it is end of story.
So she takes it off.
Then I give her the parking coupon for one night's parking (I had checked in the evening before).
She presents the bill to me. I see there is a GBP 24 charge for parking and I ask about that.
She replies that I had been charged twice for the parking since I had two rooms, it was "linked".

I gave her ONE parking coupon which was for ONE car, parked ONE night. I don't know how the "system" would put two nights parking on it or parking for one night and two cars unless someone got a little mixed up.

In any case, I am expecting her to fix it, but I want a copy of the bill so I have the "bad" one and the "good one". So I am taking a picture of it with my camera phone. She is PULLING the receipt away from me. I am asking her, can't she see I am taking a copy of it? She says I will get it back, pulling it again. I tell her to at least let me finish as it will just be a few seconds to take a quick record of it. She is still reaching and pulling it away.

I really can't believe it at this point, but I take the picture and give it back to her, expecting her to correct the bill and give it back to me. However, on no, that isn't going to happen. She has to credit the charge to me as she has ALREADY put the thing through on my credit card. So here we have someone putting through a credit card charge when they obviously haven't checked it and not giving me a chance to check it. There is something very wrong here.

Of course, the way credit cards work, when you get a credit in foreign currency you end up paying the exchange rate twice on it as they charge their currency charge once on the debit and once on the credit.

I can't believe the way this woman acted and certainly I do not appreciate it. I can't recall a time ever when I have had such an unpleasant time rectifying two problems where both parties were in agreement as to what was to be charged.

Although it is not fair to blame the entire hotel for the experience with one check out clerk, one can be rest assured that I do not intend to darken their doorstep again. Such an experience is shameful.

I hope this woman realizes that she completely ruined the positive experience that her fellow employees cultivated.

Room Tip: The club side would be noisier, the other side is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank guy_traveller
mathew f, Director of Operations at Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear guy_traveller

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am glad you predominantly enjoyed your stay with us but I am sorry to read you faced a challenge with a member of the front office staff on check out. This I am sure you can appreciate is not our norm and our service is an area we would usually exceed in. Your comments have been followed up directly with the host on duty and are aware of the impact the decisions made that day had on your overall stay.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel is the future and have the opportunity to show you your challenge is not the norm.

Kind regards
Mathew
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have been driving thru the UK with no plan. So, we decided to go to Liverpool and looked for a downtown hotel. I was upset with the Glasgow Hilton for not having sleepers in the hotel so I picked the Marriott. The small reception area with very low ceiling was a chaos with some wedding drunk people screaming. The stressed receptionist managed to be nice and checked us and the other couple really fast. The room was OK for a premium room. Although there was no valet parking the garage was really 50 meters away and had plenty of space on the week end.
Rooms service: the club sandwich was terrible and the salmon sandwich was OK. Breakfast was fine although maybe understaffed.
The very negative point is the bar adjacent to the reception as it keeps very loud TVs always on making it impossible to talk.
Check out was courteous and fast. I was disappointed for not having booked the Hilton that is much better located, maybe next time. King size bed was not even and too soft. Regular but clean bed sheets.
Reception staff and concierge were nice

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 47carlosm

I am sorry to see in your review that there were certain aspects of your stay which were not up to the standards either you or I would expect. On the night in question we did have a function in house and I can agree that when lots of people are having fun and gathering in one place the noise can raise which if you are looking for a quiet spot in the bar can make this rather difficult. I have also spoken directly with our Chef regarding the food quality and training has taken with the hosts on duty that evening.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I do hope to welcome you into our hotel in the future.

Kind regards