“Nice view over the Queen's dock”

Campanile Liverpool
Ranked #69 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Campanile overnight to go to a show at the Echo Arena. The Hotel was being refurbished and so the smell of paint was very strong. The room was average size for 2 people and clean as was the bathroom. However there weren't any plastic tumblers in the bathroom to enable people to use when brushing one's teeth. Apparently we were informed by reception that "there is no call for them". However they did supply us with some glasses to use which my wife had to go down to reception to collect. We didn't stay for breakfast which would have cost us an additional £17.50 on top of the £68.40 for the one night accommodation. The only good thing about it is it was close enough to the Echo Arena. It was also very noisy with people opening and closing doors a long way into the night and early hours of the morning. We would probably look elsewhere if staying in Liverpool again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My Husband and I satayed here on Monday 27th November for 1 night. Now we have stayed here many times (probably 10 times in the last 2 years alone) and always found it to be lovely. Breakfast good, accommodation great, comfortable beds and a quiet room what i usually ask for overlooking the docks. This time i have to say we were very disappointed. They were decorating the hotel (all the rooms and corridors) and the smell was overpowering. When we told the Receptionist the next day when we were checking out. he said we should have told him the night before and he would have moved us. The was a joke as i told him all the 3 floors were just as bad with the smell as indeed that morning they were painting on the floor below and the smell was coming up the stairs as all the main doors were open. The Receptionist told us the painters had finished our room about 2 weeks before. That's not true as the painters told us it was a few days before and they even said they had a little bit more painting to do on the top floor (where our room was). We are really dissapointed that a big hotel like this can't use water based paints that don't smell, do the painting in the summer when you can open all the windows and it dries quicker or even close the hotel for a couple of weeks. If we had known about the decorating we would never have booked it, also as i have breathing problems this really made it worse. I have rated this as average as i know it has been good before but shame on you becuase this time it was really poor!!!!!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We found this hotel offered a mix of good and not so good; the room was very small for 2 of us and there was a draught through the window - but as the room was quite hot we had fresh air as well. Nice view over docks and out to river. The room had been newly painted and was fresh and clean but some of the furniture had cigarette burns - in spite of being a non smoking room. Nearly ran out of loo paper and only 2 tea bags provided - more given on request. Three noisy parties returned during Saturday night (no hen or stag parties allowed and not the hotel's fault) but the beds were comfortable and we slept OK. Staff were pleasant and hotel is really convenient for the Arena, docks and city centre. Menu and bar/restaurant area not very appealing. Overall not bad value for a city centre hotel but a few improvements would make a difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a dockside room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a return visit,still good value,very close to the arena and we could park and shop.The only negative was the carpet,had been recently cleaned and was wet in patches. Also the couple in the next room arrived back at 2and were noisy til three am,outside the control of the hotel,just rude inconsiderate people.wil return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Checked in at roughly 5pm, went to get some food in the restaurant shortly after to be told they wasn't serving food until 7pm.

The room we stayed in was very tired and shabby, the bathroom was very dirty and there wasn't any soap in there.

On many occasions I had to wait at the bar for several minutes to be served also myself and my wife were the only guests in the bar at this time.

The hotel was getting painted and was welcomed by the smell of paint fumes as soon as we entered the hotel.

The service from staff there was average, the breakfast was good and the coffee tastes of s****

1  Thank Lennon1984
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you experienced here at Campanile Liverpool. As what should have been stated on your check in, Food is availiable from 12pm-9.45pm and I will be investigating the situation further.

We try our up most to ensure our customer service standards and products are of the highest quality. Unfortunatly on this occation we have been unsucessful and please accept my apologies. If I can assist further please contact me on 0151 7098104

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights as the venue is very close to the BT arena and conference halls as well as many good restaurants
When I checked in with a colleague from work I was informed that the bill had not been paid and how was I going to pay it despite the fact I was in the office when the booking officer rang to check and ask for confirmation that the reservation had been paid in full. This was a bit annoying as we were from different departments and my department had invited her to the conference as a guest I ended up paying for both rooms with a complicated system for reimbursement.
One of the positive facts is its location close to the Echo Arena and the Albert Docks with if you have room on the right side of it you have a nice view and there is free parking...
The view unfortunately on my side of the hotel was that of a high fence and it resembled that of a borstal come motel, this is a very basic hotel and the room so ask if you really want to book in to this hotel (I would not).
I was on arrival initially given a room on the second floor that was being renovated (see photographs) The reception staff were not aware of this taking place and were not willing to go and see the problems in doing so stating they never go in there!
I was then reallocated to the 1st floor to a room that must have been next to be upgraded and it was rather tired and run down with stains on the carpet .during my stay two guests cane back late and could not get in to their room opposite they were worse for drink and telephoned reception for help it was a hour before that came and they banged on my door and decided to sleep outside my room.
My colleague to my total utter embarrassment decided that her reallocated room on the first floor was not clean enough to want to stay in the hotel. She then at her own expense left and booked into the Jurys Inn Hotel.
It is one of the worst places I’ve stayed at for quite some time.
As it has been said, the rooms are very basic and have the feel of student digs,

One night I went down to the restaurant for dinner as the food at breakfast was very reasonable. The restaurant unfortunately on a evening turns into a back street pub with curry nights no starters on the menu and a range of burgers, the food was horrible for £5 more I could have got a meal in the well established What’s cooking restaurant nearby. I agree with the last guests comments “I wouldn't call it food it tasted and looked like it had just been taken out of the bin and served to us” fortunately there is a MacDonald and kfc over the road were there is much better food so you won't go hungry
A comment was made by Trip advisor Bertie186368 how can it be overpriced at £47 we paid £455 for our three night stay and as he can see by my photographs I did stay there unfortunately
If you like feel of student digs then maybe this is a place to stay
I must Thank Manager Mr Laurence Whittle General Manager for the complimentary free breakfast as an apology and he did after I left put up warning signs about the building work

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Scrody2000

As previously discussed over the phone and by email, I sincerley apologise for any inconvience caused during your stay. However as discussed previously the areas you entered were out of public domaine and should not have been entered. Posters are all around the building appologising to guests for any inconvience caused by the works currently under way and have been from the intial date of the process.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

just returned from a couple of days in Liverpool. We booked this hotel for two reasons. One---my son stayed there and recommended it as a good value hotel,and Two, it was close to the echo arena where we went to see Mrs Browns Boys.[fabulous] For a basic hotel it was fine. There was free parking[not a lot of hotels have that] room was clean. the bed was good. We did not have breakfast there,but someone we met outside commented it was good. I fail to see how previous customers could give it such bad reports. I find it strange how it can be "overpriced" £47 for a night in central Liverpool; sorry but its not . friends of ours stayed in a certain hotel across the road, and that was £89[inc continental breakfast] overpriced;certainly not. We shall be going back again in the spring and it will be the campanile for us.
My feeling is that some of these bad reports are not persons that actually stayed there. Read that how you will.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your Kind words and glad we forfilled your needs while visiting Liverpool. I'll pass this on to our staff and hopefully will be welcoming you back again soon.