“Never Again - I wish wish there was an option for a 0 rating!”

Campanile Liverpool
Ranked #67 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Never Again - I wish wish there was an option for a 0 rating!”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel towards the end of last year. After an awful experience I emailed the company to explain what the problems were. After a few weeks with no reply I emailed the brand headquarters again explaining my issues, this was in December 2013, I am still waiting for a reply!! I don't see why hotels don't take on board customer comments, after all if it wasn't for customers there wouldn't be a hotel!! I have copied in the letter below to highlight the 3 main issues and to let future travellers what to expect....

I am emailing you today to express my sheer disappointment and disgust with your Campanile Liverpool Hotel.

My booking was made through Late Rooms to stay for one night in a twin room for the 30th October 2013. I explained in my booking comments that I was treating my father to a night away from home for his 60th birthday, to watch a show at the Echo Arena and to have a day shopping at the Liverpool Centre.

I have three main complaints that I would like to bring to your attention;

The first one being on check in, the receptionist took my details and explained that they had booked us into a double room for the one night. I immediately corrected her and assured her that I had booked a twin room as I was staying with my Father. This is a simple mistake which could have been made anywhere and if the situation was resolved there and then I would be happy. However your receptionist insisted that I had booked a double room, even when I had presented my booking confirmation. She proceeded to go through her files huffing and looking at her colleague which made me feel like we were a burden to them having to alter their room plans. After a few minutes she presented us with a new room number (room 123) with her saying she has had to move rooms around for us! Like I said, if the issue was resolved with no ‘huffing’ or making out like we were a burden to your hotel it would have been fine, but your receptionist made us feel very unwelcome.

The second complaint occurred at 3am in the morning as we were awoken by the fire alarm. My father is a retired fire fighter and so immediately we put our jackets on, went to our door and out into the corridor to make our way to the fire assembly point. As we were walking down the corridor your night porter/receptionist came running down shouting for us all not to move and that she would locate the source of the fire first to see if it was a real fire or a technical fault as “to save us the trip outside”. For starters this raised cause for concern, there were around 6 other bedrooms on our corridor with confused people standing around waiting to be told what to do next as we weren’t allowed outside. After around 10 minutes with no return of your staff member my father thought enough was enough and decided to go and investigate for himself, something no guest should have to do. He came back up to say that another guest has told him a young girl became intoxicated and pressed the alarm. We waited a further few minutes to see if your staff member was going to come and tell us herself what was going on and what to do, however no one appeared and we had to take it upon ourselves to go back to our rooms. Like the check in process, this could have happened anywhere however it was down to your staff member to be fire trained and ensure the safety of all guests. However she told us differently to what is expressed on the back of the bedroom doors, and did not follow up to tell us what was going on, instead it was down to the guests to investigate and make our own judgements.

My third and final complaint occurred at breakfast. My father and I arrived in the breakfast room at 8:15am giving us plenty of time before checking out. However when we arrived to be seated your waitress looked at us as if to say ‘you must be joking’ whilst glancing over to what looked like a business meeting being held in half your restaurant with only 5 tables left for your guests to have breakfast on. We had to wait a further 5 minutes before we could get a seat. I do not think it is appropriate for a hotel of that size to only offer 5 tables for your guests. The ones eating felt rushed as their tables were needed and one ones standing waiting were getting, quite understandably, fed up. Once we got our table we were looking forward to our continental and cooked breakfast we had ordered. I must say that the food was lovely; however the breakfast experience was yet again spoilt by this business meeting. The lead speaker, a young woman, was educating business men on products she was selling, these included treatments for irritable bowel syndrome, acne and diarrhea, she went deeply into each symptom, this is certainly NOT something diners want to hear about whilst trying to enjoy their breakfast! I do not understand why the business meeting was not held in the fully capable conference room on site, this would have resolved the seating issue and the issue of guests hearing disgusting bodily dysfunctions whilst eating.

After gaining a degree in International Hospitality business management and then going on to work in many different hospitality establishments I must say that I am extremely disappointed in your Liverpool Hotel, and the Campanile brand in itself. I understand that it is classed as a ‘budget’ hotel, but even still, you need certain standards of service and aim to meet a standard of guest satisfaction, both of which you have failed.

To charge a customer £59.15 to experience the things my father and I have is extortionate and unfair to future customers. As I explained in the booking comments, I had brought him to celebrate his 60th birthday, one in which your hotel has ruined!

I will not be staying in a Campanile hotel again and I will make sure that people know the real experiences they can expect when going to stay there.

I look forward to your reply and your views on these issues.

---

This completed my letter, like I said, I am STILL waiting for a reply! My advice for anyone travelling to Liverpool is DO NOT STAY HERE. There are far nicer hotel around Albert Dock, or even on the doorstep of Liverpool One shopping centre who can match and often beat the prices and certainly beat the standards of this hotel!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank adventurebeginstoday
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of Campanile Hotel Liverpool.

I was dismayed to note that you had not enjoyed your stay with us, and that the guestroom, other hotel amenities and customer service did not meet your expectations. I was in particular disappointed to read that you encountered significant inconvenience as a result of the Fire Alarm being activated by a guest and felt the team did not act swiftly on the matter.

We regret that you found the restaurant full as you arrived for breakfast with your father and the location of the meeting taking place to be inconvenient. We offer companies such as these the facility of the conference room but sometimes not suitable for their needs. We aim that this does not conflict with the interests of our hotel guests however on this occasion was not the case. I pass on my apologies to your father and yourself.

I was very much disappointed to learn from your comments that we did not display a sense of understanding and courtesy when the fire alarm was set off and the staff on site not provided the appropriate information. To find a satisfactory solution to your concern I will reach out to you via a private message as well.

Please accept our sincerest apology for the disappointment and frustration you encountered during your recent visit. Please rest assured that this is certainly not indicative of our usual high standards of service. We endeavour to provide all of our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable Campanile experience and I was therefore truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us as such.

I certainly hope that you will allow us another chance in the not too distant future. Perhaps you would be so kind enough to contact me directly when planning your future visit to the Liverpool area, so I may personally ensure that your next stay with us will be as comfortable and enjoyable as it can possibly be.

L.Whittle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Absolute crap, rooms awful, beds very uncomfortable, room was very small for two adults. Bathroom terrible, fitting falling apart. Suggest it's an up market prison cell ! Yuck yuck, from dumb receptionist to room quality!
Never again will I stay here - just too awful.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dawn H
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your comments of your recent stay with us, here at the Campanile Liverpool. I was certainly most disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I wish to sincerely apologize for any disappointment or frustration you encountered.

L.Whittle

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here on a conference visit at the ACC. Although the conference was tedious, this hotel made it all the more bearable. Rooms were spacious, clean and decently equipped. For the price, we got a deal for 5 rooms for 4 nights at £25pp/n so the cost was unreal! I was in a double room, ie double bed, mattress was slightly harder than I expected but was fine to sleep on. The facilities of the room were adequate, a wardrobe with a few hangers, hair dryer, kettle and tea/coffee. There was also a TV (which I did not use) on a large desk which was fantastic for my paper work. In terms of the noise, the windows kept all the car noise out and the curtains were good at sealing all the light out. Breakfast, well for £7 I'm not sure if it would be worth it, just go continental and have a mountain of bread and pastry, cold meat, spreads and limited fruit. I would like to see more fresh fruit as part of the deal but I can't complain. Regarding other slight issues with the room, the bath was small for my 6ft 3 frame and the tap water is atrocious (although this is a liverpool wide problem). Staff were FANTASTIC. Honestly some of the nicest hotel staff I have ever experienced. The gentlemen on the bar were very helpful and made some very pleasant evenings in. Aloura (i think that is her name) is one of the twin sisters working in reception. I walked down every morning and my breakfast order was taken for me without having to say a word - poached egg to perfection. We even asked one of the Liverpudlian women on reception for a good Oriental restaurant and it turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. So a Massive thank you to the Campanile for making a rather boring conference bearable and a great night sleep. Recommended if you want something basic and great value.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal side have a better view, than those facing the road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EaterAlex
THANK YOU for sharing such amazing comments about your recent stay with us. It was a delight to have you with us and it was a pleasure for the all of us to look after you during your visit to Liverpool.

We certainly hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back sometime soon. Perhaps you would be so kind to reach to me directly when planning your future visit to the Liverpool area. liverpool@campanile.com

Regards,
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Enjoyed our two night stay. Great that there was fee wi fi. Lovely view of the docks. Glad that we asked for this due to reading prior review. Only downside was housekeeper knocking loudly on door on check out morning. First time at 9. Had late night out before so was annoying to be woken up. Apart from that, a good stay. Great location and free parking a big bonus.

Room Tip: Ask for dock side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your Kind words shared regarding your sta here at Campanile. Although it does up set me you were woken by our housekeeping team. I sincerley hope the positives outweigh the negatives.

We hoppefully look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Very basic and small room. Just about got around double bed. TV didn't work, no coffee, no biscuits as advertised. Very expensive for what was offered, would definitely think twice about using this place again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as we wanted to be close to the echo arena. The room rate wasn't the cheapest at £95 a night and that didn't include breakfast. The entrance to the rooms was covered with cigarette ends and people smoking which the smell filtered through to the staircase.
The room itself was dirty, had holes in the bathroom wall, scuff marks on the bedroom walls and the whole feel of the room felt miserable. The only bonus was we were on the dock side.
It was only a 5 minute walk to the echo arena but I would have rather stated slightly further away in better accommodation.
I wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grabster08
yorkshire
Reviewed 11 April 2014

After reading some of the negative reviews of this hotel, I was more than a little apprehensive about staying here. Don't worry! We were greeted warmly and checked in quickly. We stayed in room 14 which was very clean and had everything we needed. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We stayed for 2 nights and ate breakfast on both mornings. Continental and full english for £8.95 is very reasonable. I would have no hesitation in staying here again. We were in a group of 14 and we all agreed. It is not a 5 star hotel but it is clean and tidy with a great location. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Laurence W, General Manager at Campanile Liverpool, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such kind words. Very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as we aim to satisfy our guests needs.