“Liverpool deserves better”

Ranked #65 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Geneva, Switzerland
“Liverpool deserves better”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The campanile Liverpool has a lot going for it. Down by the waterfront within 5-10 minute walk from Albert Dock, the 3 Graces and Liverpool One shopping centre. Free car parking and good wifi coverage in the rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. What's not to like?
Well the rooms need a spruce up, the hotel is not over generous with the towel allowance and you only get 2 pillows as standard for a double room. They really are cutting things to the bone so much so that you do feel a poverty guest. Shame as with the city undergoing something of a renaissance don't they deserve the best hotels? I have stayed in better quality Campanile hotels in the pat so there is no excuse. Come give Liverpool the hotel it deserves.

4 Thank Astonmad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm slightly confused by the quite diverse reviews of other guests.

For 3 nights from 1st June my husband and I stayed in room 220 overlooking the dock. The room was fine. It was very clean, had a TV which provided plenty of channels, a hair dryer which I wasn't expecting, a kettle and spare plug sockets. It also had free wi-fi which was perfect for our mobile devices. We had 3 excellent nights sleep as the bed was very comfy with clean cosy bed linen (I didn't strip the bed to look at the mattress as some patrons feel the need to do!)

The bathroom was very clean and the shower was excellent.

We didn't have breakfast but did eat in the restaurant on one evening and the food was very good although we did have to wait a while for it as there was only one chef and 5 other orders in front of ours.

We had no problems with any aspect of the stay and would have no hesitation in staying at the Campanile Liverpool again.

If I had to be picky in any way my only suggestion would be a hand towel and a glass in the bathroom - neither of these were an issue though

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the dock
3 Thank Sheron T
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We really weren't expecting too much when we paid £36.88 online for a Sunday night stay. We were pleasantly surprised.

Arriving early, our room wasn't ready so we were offered a ground floor room which we accepted. The rooms are small, but clean and functional. The bed was fine. The view out onto Queen's Dock was stunning.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff. They all seemed to genuinely enjoy their work and were very friendly and helpful.

I stupidly left something in the room and when we got home I called them. They had retrieved it and are posting it down to me - great service there.

Cheap but very cheerful. Right next to the Albert Dock, Echo Arena, Liverpool Eye and lots more.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the dock have a better view than those at the front which overlook the Strand (mai...
1 Thank netyoda
North East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting our daughter. The location is fairly good. We ate in the restaurant which is well priced and food ok. The bar is well priced too. Staff in reception are helpful. The room was clean but had to ask for tea and coffee, no glass in the bathroom. It is what it is.....a budget hotel, somewhere to sleep. As said by other comments, security could be better. Stayed here previously and at 10:30pm (ish) the automatic door locked and you had to use your key card to enter the main building. This didn't happen this time. Don't know why.

Free parking and wifi which is a big bonus at a city hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elsa P
Peel, Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on 13 and 14 May.
On arrival I was placed in to room 125. The room was grubby and the carpet was dirty with leaves and pieces of foam rubber all over it. The area behind the TV set was full of dust and cobwebs.
The bathroom had mould around the bath/shower area. The toilet seat was badly marked, with dents and scratches, and dirty. There was a dead fly stuck on the safety grille of the wall heater, which looked as if it had been there for some time!
The Continental Breakfast, which was included in the price of my deal, was adequate in the different items available but the fruit juice and hot drinks from the machines were 'wishy-washy' and had no taste to them. The croissants were over-baked and burnt on the bottoms.
On the Tuesday evening I returned to the hotel with a take-away meal and placed my 'door card' in to what I thought was my room door. The first attempt resulted in a red light flashing on the lock and no entry was gained. I retried and on the second attempt the green light flashed and the door unlocked. On entering the room imagine my surprise [and theirs] to see a man and a woman sitting on the end of the bed talking. On looking at the door I then noticed that I had in fact gained entry to Room 127 instead of Room 125. On mentioning this scenario to the desk staff the following morning I was told that it COULD NOT HAPPEN as all the key cards were individually programmed to the room number only, and the matter was somewhat dismissed out of hand. SO MUCH FOR ROOM SECURITY.
The only good experience I gained from this hotel was the helpful young male receptionist who was on duty late on the evening of the 13 May - very helpful when asked for advice on how to get to certain places in the city.
This is a budget hotel and I do not for one minute expect 5-star service and features. However, that said, I DO EXPECT CLEAN FACILITIES at all times Management should be doing spot checks on their cleaning staff, who, on my floor at least, all appeared to be of foreign origin. This hotel was not a patch on the Travelodge I had stayed at the night before at Cheshire Oaks and certainly not up to the standard of the Camponile Hotel at Runcorn, where I had stayed on a previous visit.
The hotel is in a good location BUT the management need to get their act together and sort out the many issues which I, and others in this review area, have noted.

Room Tip: Room 125 overlooked the river / dock area and appeared quieter than the rooms would be at the front...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is located on Albert Dock in Liverpool, within walking distance to Beatles story and museums. We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and food was very good and not expensive. It has a large parking.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the dock and you will have an excellent view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was reluctant to book this hotel (seemed too good to be true at the price) but the fact it had on-site free parking in the middle of a big city meant I was very limited in choice of available hotel, arriving by car. This was the hotel in Queens Dock and my party of 4 only needed one night. It was Easter Sunday in late April, plenty of football on in the city. Surprisingly it turned out to much better than I expected. Quite well located, an easy walking distance to the town centre and tourist attractions. The rooms were perfectly adequate and clean, the bed gave us a good sleep. You can opt for a seperately paid breakfast or simply walk outside to the town if the weather is ok. Reception staff, although multi-skilled and looking after the cafeteria as well, were helpful and polite once they got free of the cafeteria. Don't be put off by the low price - it was a perfectly acceptable stay.

Room Tip: Pretty obvious when you see it but with a main road at the front and a river at the rear, request a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple