“Budget Hotel”

Campanile Liverpool
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I booked this hotel when I was attending a show in the Echo arena followed by a meal and a couple of drinks.

It's a basic hotel for a low price. It's clean and comfortable. The location is excellent, it's close to many of Liverpools attractions.

Room Tip: A room at the rear of the hotel is much better than one facing the mainroad.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Richie G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

In the cheep and cheerful bracket. Rooms affordable but basic.

we stayed 3 nights the staff were friendly and helpful but not always knowledgeable. My wife slipped in the bathroom where there was no bathmat ( we could have asked for one but you don't think about them things at the time) She got a nasty cut on her head from the fall and the staff were unable to give clear directions to the hospital but did give me computer access to find it myself.

We did not eat at the hotel but the food prices did seem reasonable.. if you want to eat cheaper there is a KFC and a McDonald's opposit

Room Tip: Would suggest asking for a rear room facing the wharf rather than a front room facing a major road
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil P
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a last minute booking for a two night getaway, visiting Liverpool to do the whole "Beatles experience." I chose this hotel for price, location and the big plus which was parking! However, on reflection parking was the ONLY plus this hotel has.

The facilities (or lack of) are appalling. We were allocated a room on the second floor. There's NO lift. This wasn't a big problem for me or my son, but if stairs are a problem for you be warned. Our twin room was small. Again, we wanted somewhere to just sleep and shower, so no big deal. However, I do expect a room to be clean. On arrival there was a pubic hair on the toilet seat (see photos) a dirty towel hanging up on the back of the bathroom door (I threw this in the hallway outside our room) and, as you can see from the photos, the shower curtain pole was sliding down the wall. The bathroom was grubby. It has seen better days. The tile grout is filthy, and there is mould in the corners. When I unfolded my CLEAN towel after a shower, I had a pull a very long black hair off it. Very unpleasant.

There is only ONE electrical socket in the whole room. Myself and my son had to take it in turns to charge phones, iPads etc. We woke up continually through the nights with the lights in the room blaring because the light switches are situated right ON THE HEADBOARD behind your pillows (see photos) You only had to roll over and the lights would be switched on accidentally. The dust on the headboard was shockingly thick (again, see photos!) The walls are paper thin and we had to listen to the people staying in the next room chatting. They weren't shouting, just chatting. I was shocked at how much we could hear.

We were given only one teaspoon to make tea and coffee with, and also mismatched mugs. I left a note for the housekeeper asking for another teaspoon, and also another pillow as we had only been given 3 (for two beds) The houskeeper did leave us two extra teaspoons, and also a pillow, but clearly failed to clean the room properly. There were coffee stains on the desk, and a coffee stain had even appeared on the bathroom sink, even though we'd never taken coffee in there!

I don't ask for all-singing all-dancing facilities in a budget hotel, but I DO expect basic cleanliness. This hotel would benefit from some spot-checks by the management. It's location is great, the free parking better. But unfortunately, the tired decor and poor housekeeping let it down a great deal. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Disatisfied307
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Booked this hotel for a Saturday night stay. The location is excellent for the city, and the free car park is a major advantage.

We booked last minute so it wasn't particularly cheap, but I suppose that's expected. When we arrived the friendly receptionist informed us they were behind on housekeeping and was not sure if our room was ready. She phoned ahead and was told it was, when we got to the room is clearly wasn't. I suppose looking at the reviews no towels, no toilet roll, and no tea & coffee is fairly common... I rang down for towels and the housekeeper brought me and my partner 1 bath towel to last the weekend...

Breakfast was great. The hot breakfast is freshly cooked, and even though my partner was a little fussy about what she wanted, the cook was very accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George C
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our first time at the Liverpool Campanile.
Our room was small but adequate with a TV, large double bed, tea/coffee & kettle. Nice bathroom small but adequate. Staff very helpful/friendly. Breakfast or evening meal if you want to stay around the hotel. Meals to be ordered at reception on arrival. Our room overlooked the water & docks which was nice to watch the canoeists. The sun shone on the water creating a pattern on the wall of our room. Across the road is a Mc Donald's & KFC. We watched the sunset whilst we sat at Albert Docks near the chains that are along the front which had hundreds of pad locks with messages engraved on them in memory of loved ones & lovers lost. On the bright side many had messages of love/anniversaries from couples, very touching & a lovely gesture. I might put a lock on the chains next we go there! There are lots of bars/bistros serving food or just a drink all day. We sat down for a drink, decided to have lunch to, then sat there for a few hours enjoying the sunshine. Plenty to see/do on the docks including a ferry ride which has a snack bar on board. The shops are a 10 minute walk away with a vast amount of shops, cafés & bars. The indoor market is now refurbished with a good selection of shops. Downstairs is the food hall from McDonalds to pizzas. Across the road is Lime Street Train Station. We've been to another Campanile in Bradford & found them to be adequate for a 2/3 nights stay with the idea of using it as base whilst seeing what the places have to offer. You get 10% off you're online booking if you make it at least 5 days before arrival.
Gillybean Blackpool

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the water of Queens Dock.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillybean55
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night, and it was very affordable, but basic. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and there was a bath. No milk, but tea & coffee provided. The girls looking after breakfast missed me, so I was a bit lost at first. You're supposed to order on arrival. Biggest plus is the location and the parking. I'd visit again.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The lack of facilities was shockingly poor, there was only ONE electric plug socket in the room, so we spent ages looking for a place to charge, phones, sat nav and camera.

The room was tatty and grubby, there was only one curtain hanging at the window.

Not enough towels or toilet paper supplied, its very basic and cheap, certainly not worthy of the 2 star rating.

My daughter not access the wi-fi which is apparently free, so NO WI-FI on our stay,

On the plus side, the Hotel offers free parking and is a 15 minute walk from Albert Dock and the Echo arena.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family