“Third stay here-still very good”
Review of The Liner Hotel

The Liner Hotel
Ranked #23 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed here during Beatles week. This is the third year we have stayed at the Liner and the standard is still very good. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are of a very good standard and the location is excellent. Inclusive in the price is free parking and wi-fi. Our deal was for bed and breakfast. It is the typical buffet breakfast. There is a good selection which will suit almost everyone. On our first morning there was a problem with running out of milk and some other breakfast items but this was mainly due to a rush of guests at peak time. Will stay here again. Has my recommendation.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLManager, Director of Sales at The Liner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Alan151,
Thank you so much for your kind comments we are delighted you enjoyed your stay for your third time. I Will pass on your comments to the whole of our team.
The Liner Hotels Management team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,973)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

From the outside this is an uninspiring hotel right next to Lime Street Station. It has adopted the theme of a cruise liner and floors are designated as decks and the reception area does display a number of quaint nautical paraphernalia. This theme is not carried through to the bedrooms.

Car parking is free for residents so a real plus. The receptionist was really cheerful, polite and friendly and this always creates a good impression and in my view so often colours the whole stay. The room was smallish but perfectly adequate containing all of the expected facilities i.e. tea/coffee, en-suite, TV. It also provides (fast) free wi-fi. Why don't more expensive hotels do this?

We ate in the restaurant and this was basic but of good quality and we certainly were not hungry when we left.

Breakfast was not provided as a part of the very reasonable cost of the room (£45). It cost £10.95 which we thought was rather high.

The hotel really couldn't be much more central for the City and we plan to go back for a longer stay next time to see a bit more of the place.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Two night stay from mid-week. Staff, Food, Location all very good, accommodation nice......
One "negative issue" the heat in the room; even with the window open constant, there was no air circulation. Requested a fan - but nothing supplied to the room or an explanation that non-avail as I'm aware other hotel occupants had also complained about the heat in the rooms and requested fans.

Dear KFPJ,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.
With regards to your comments about heat in the bedrooms; We do have a selection of fans that guests can use on request.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here for a night and found the hotel to be reasonable. Unfortunately, we could hear the train announcements really loudly from our room, so didn't get a lot of sleep! The hotel itself is novel due to the theme, but had a slightly 'cheap' feel about it. The breakfast was ok, however, the quality could be improved and the plates and bowls were not clean.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the train station (if this is possible!)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sunnyreview,
Thank you for providing your feedback as this will help us to better our services for all our valued guests, such as yourself. I will make sure to share and address all your remarks with our Team.
Once again I am very sorry for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed for a two night trip as a newby to Liverpool. Came by train, so was perfect place to stay as it was only a minutes walk from Lime Street Station. Really nice Hotel with friendly staff and atmosphere. Bedrooms quite small, but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast, the normal help yourself stuff with a selection of hot and cold. Our room was overlooking the station, and it was very warm, so a bit noisy, but all in all a great stay. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Lizr59,
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is important to the hotel and we appreciate your comments. Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I recently had a 4 night stay in this hotel on a business trip.

My overwhelming impression of the hotel was on the quality of the staff, who were fantastic. They were helpful and friendly, no matter what the request – in the restaurant, the breakfast room and on reception. As an example, after my first night there I requested to change room for one that had a stronger wifi signal, and the lady on reception quickly identified a room that would be free later in the day for me, and arranged my transfer with no fuss at all. (The wifi in the new room was stronger, but still an unstable signal - fine for surfing/email, but not for skype).

The hotel itself is an older building that is showing signs of wear. The bathroom I used, though clean, did have a slight damp smell, so I was glad it was warm enough to leave the bedroom window open. The toiletries were difficult to get out of their packaging with the hair conditioner impossible to use, so I don’t think they represent value to the hotel or to the guest. The shower was an in-bath mixer attachment, with a hook on the wall. This had reasonable warmth and pressure. Likewise the hairdryer was perfectly adequate.

The bedroom was cleaned and tidied every day. The bed and pillows were very comfortable (I like a bed/ pillow combo that is neither too soft, nor too firm). Teamaking facilities were good, with traditional biscuits also provided. When travelling on my own I prefer to be able to ignore the mini-bar, so the see-through glass in the front of the fridge unit in the room was a minor irritation. As a runner, I usually also travel with an ice-pack (there is always an injury that needs icing) – but as the mini-bar was electronic, I could not store any of my own items in the fridge.

Breakfast was a good sized buffet with multiple options – ham, cheese, yoghurt, cereal, pastries and a full English. The cooked breakfast was not quite to my taste, as it was too mass produced, I know it is a personal preference but I can never really understand why people use tinned mushrooms. I also found the croissants to be too dry, and the fruit juice a bit hit and miss – the juice comes from a machine that mixes a prepackaged syrup with some water. I ordered a room service dinner one evening, and though it wasn’t as nice as I’d have at home, I ate it all and wasn’t hungry afterwards. The range of food offered and the prices were all very reasonable.

The location of the hotel is very good for a visit to Liverpool. It is right next to Liverpool Lime St station (I didn’t hear any station noise), the cultural area, a short stroll to the University and Cathedral areas, and a 10-20 minute walk to the modern Liverpool ONE shopping and eating area, and the docks.

It is also worth pointing out the free parking that comes with a hotel room. This was a definite bonus for me, and contributed to me choosing this hotel over other options in the area.

I am sure I will be staying in this hotel again, as the combination of location and price fits my budget and needs, and the staff I spoke to were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank FHTWMW

Dear FHTWMW,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service to all of our guests and I am pleased you were able to experience this and our high standards during your stay.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Great Hotel clean, staff helpful and friendly parking free if staying. Excellent hotel for price. Good breakfast, close to all sights. Near the station but not a problem with any noise. There are table and chairs outside the entrance where you can sit and have drinks/food on a fine day.
Room was good except side of bath is high for use of the shower, not good for the very elderly.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor,quiet except for the seagulls in the morning!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLManager, Director of Sales at The Liner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Julieann2003,
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are extremely grateful when guests take time out to review our hotel. With regards to your comment about the bath, we do have more accessible bedrooms which can be more accommodating in the bathroom.We hope we have the chance to welcome you back to The Liner in the future.
The Liner Hotels Management Team