“New Years Eve 2013”

Description: Also traditional Nepalese food
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve 2013”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Four courses on New Years Eve, with a glass of bubbly - £25! A bargain and I had to take 2 doggy bags home because my main course was too big and too delicious to leave (and it was a vegetarian option) and we were all too stuffed to eat desert. However, cold Indian on a peswari nan for breakfast on New Years day was just the job. Then I made a start on the deserts so 1st resolution broken already and it's only 1pm....

• Visited December 2013

Liverpool
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Such a delightful place, lovely staff and very pleasent. Food is always fantastic and even if there is a bit of a wait, situation is always dealt with appropriately. Cannot recommend this place enough, also accommodates for slimming world!

• Visited May 2013
Liverpool
“A great Indian restaurant and well priced too!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

OK so let's get the practical stuff out of the way first; Saffron is located on St. Johns Road in Waterloo and there is free parking available locally - however this is subject to the time of day (evenings are a breeze daytime may involve a short walk). The restaurant accept bookings and they can get busy on weekend nights so it is advisable to book to avoid disappointment.
The staff are very helpful and will offer advice on any dish you have a query about, front of house is hosted by a big, friendly Geordie gent with a lovely warm but direct manner. On the evening we went it was a birthday treat for me and I am not one for hot curries, I asked advice regarding the milder dishes and was recommended either korma (as expected), butter chicken or a Nepalese chicken kebab dish. I opted for the butter chicken and the meat was melt-in-the-mouth tender and marinated in a beautiful, rich sauce. We ordered a pilau rice and peshwari naan - my wife went for a tikka masala and our starter was poppadoms and a mix of three chutneys. The chutneys were very well made and the vegetable option was a real revelation. The overall quality of each dish was superb and we opted for a glass of wine and a flavoured cider to rinse our palates.
I have to say that the staff were very attentive and asked us on a number of occasions if we were happy with our meal, we were too busy eating to go into detail and just nodded our approval. The chef must be a happy person because they truly care about food and certainly knows how to get the best from meats and vegetables.
I can only say that my experience on the evening left me wanting more and, on the same night, our daughter and her hubby ordered a takeaway from the restaurant and they thoroughly enjoyed their meal too. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody - the decor is nice but relatively simple and the real star of the show (and the real reason any of us visits any restaurant) is the beautiful food on offer. The cuisine and the staff will make the experience special and you will find yourself going back for more!

• Visited December 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Probably the least authentic Indian cuisine................”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

At 69 I am a well experienced consumer of Indian food having started one memorable Sunday in 1961 after an afternoon of horseriding and never looked back. I have to say that I detest the red red red appearance practiced by some establishments in trying to tempt the palate of the not so discerning to the delights of Indian food. (It is coloured powder, I know because I "did the books" for another takeaway for several years and got to know the tricks) Saffron is guilty of this, in addition soggy overcooked rice, sour curry sauce lacking in depth of flavour, Bombay Potato swimming in orangey red sauce, ditto Mushroom Baji have done nothing to enhance a first impression. I understood that Baji means "fried". Not curried . The stuffed Paratha was simply and greasily awful. Did we pick a bad day to order our first takeaway ? Was there a relief chef ? The delivery gent promised an experience. He wasn't wrong. But I don't think he knew what he was saying. At ten pounds more than an identical meal elsewhere, disappointment doesn't cover it. Sorry.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Judibooth
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent food with good advice.”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Went without any particular plan of what to eat, so let the waiter advise, and he gave excellent guidance (especially with regards to Vegetarian meals). He was particularly good at advising the quantity of food to order, and it was the perfect amount for 2 to share. The food itself was simply lovely, not a bad bite. The onion bread to share was stunning. Very much recommended.

• Visited October 2013