“Great pre-theatre experience.”

Cafe Porto
Ranked #197 of 1,814 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is a hidden gem. A Portugese tapas bar in the heart of Liverpool with the best food ever cooked to perfection by the "real deal".
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Popped in en route to the Everyman on Friday night. It felt very much like eating in someone's home rather than a restaurant, cosy, attentive and friendly. Great tapas, especially the salt cod fishcakes and really good wine. We didn't have dessert but our waitress brought us out a taster of frangipane with our bill, suffice to say next time we go I'll leave room for some.....

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My first visit and very impressed.
Sardines were lovely.
Cod fish cakes the best I've had.
The spinach and cheese pie was exceptional.
Very fresh well cooked interesting food.
If your off to the theatre give this a go and forget the Everyman bistro.
It really is very good.

1  Thank peter2873
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Snacked here today. First time for me. My wife has been a few times and rates it highly.
I had a dish of roasted vegetables with fishcakes. A small portion for circa £7. Very good dish and enjoyed it.
Very small custard tart was great but very small.
My wife had a chicken sandwich which she enjoyed.
I would have to return here to get a real feel of the food.
Service good and friendly.

1  Thank Barry M
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Looking forward to early dinner on a Friday night and we booked the Porto Restaurant. That was the first mistake, the second mistake was to base what we had to eat on Tapas. I have never experienced tapas where the portions are priced to other similar restaurants in Liverpool and yet significantly smaller. The warning signs where there when we got wafer thin advocado as part of the meze starter. All I can say is that the knives in the kitchen must be very sharp to get advocado this thin. The meze was followed by chicken kebab - remember these are to share, one kebab - three small pieces of chicken and small tiny pieces of chorizo. I am not going to describe every dish suffice to say I did let my thoughts be known at the time - there was a pleasant reply that everything is sourced locally and that is admirable but in my opinion priced wrong. I won't be back!

1  Thank Tim A
CafePorto, Owner at Cafe Porto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Tim
What I can say about your review is:
The Meze Plate includes Marinated Olives (2.95pounds) and Fresh Bread (1.95pounds). For the bowls of home made Humous and Feta Cheese, you are paying just 2.10 pounds. When we serve the Avocado (that I cut myself thin because was not ripe), it is just a decoration.
The Chicken and Chorizo Kebab (that you have not said a word about the quality, and our home made sauce), could not be bigger because the plate would not hold it. If you prefer two Kebabs, it would be better to ask for two Tapas or for a main course (already with Chips and Salad) for 12.50 pounds.
At Café Porto, we believe that our food and service has a healing effect on customers. We did notice that you were in low mood so we are sorry that we did not manage to change that.
Because you already said you are not coming back, Adeus.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Fortunately there was one salt cod left after a busy night last Saturday which gave me a chane to taste the amazingly oliveish juicy and beautiful food after work, I have to clearify that although I work here I'm not saying in commercial purpose because my father always teach me to treat food serious. And my background of growing up in Sichuan, which is most famous for its food in China, give me a very fussy and high standard of food, even so I have to say the cod is amazing!
After the treatment, the texture became in the middle of fish and meat and gave it a great flavor from sea salt, at the same time the sprinkled chilly power spiced it up but wasn't unacceptably hot because of the balance from well cooked onion.
The potatoes were already soft while the surface became golden and crispy after baked.
I was talking to my dad the other day(kind of showing off) that I learned a lot about how to cook in the Portuguese way, whereas he said to me you know it doesn't mean it's the same because the ingredients i.e. cod, wine, olive oil cooking ingredients would be different and something you might never find in China.
The long post is simply to show how much I love cafe porto, it's atmosphere, lovely customers and food!
I will be leaving England soon, but here will always be my second home! And I hope more people could enjoy it :)