“nice place shame about the salad”
Review of Leaf

Leaf
Ranked #53 of 1,803 Restaurants in Liverpool
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a tea shop and bar in the heart of the city centre. We offer a relaxed and casual drinking and dining experience for those who want somewhere friendly and informal to hang-out. Please note we are not a restaurant, but a multi-functional space to meet, relax, listen to good music and enjoy interesting events.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I ordered soup and salad from borderline too cool for school bar attendant (i think i got the snootiest one ,the others seemed a bit friendlier) but was efficient and helpful when i asked if there was any dairy in the parsnip soup, there was so i got the minestrone. Soup arrived, good although the accompanying bread was pre-buttered (a lot of places do this now) but immediately replaced in a charming manner by the friendly waitress. Salad looked promising, nice olives, sliced tomato, rather a lot of very bitter rocket with no dressing but i put it in the soup and it was better that way. Was detecting a sour, vegetation decomposing aroma and digging deeper identified the culprit - a long thin strip of courgette which was distinctly past it's best tasting pretty nasty although still looking ok, so that put a stop to the salad eating. Next time the waitress passed i mentioned it to her and again she was lovely, said sorry but that was it, i was a little surprised but guided by my lunch companion i didn't take it any further; as he said it's only leaf it's not a proper restaurant you should expect that sort of thing, but whilst i see his point i don't totally agree. Anyways it's a good space, enjoyable busy atmosphere but i won't eat there again as i now have doubts about the kitchen.

2  Thank R B

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Leaf is a brilliant place for breakfast - the Sunday we went in it was completely full within 10 mins of opening (but it was the last Sunday in the month, so the 'Vintage Sale' was on). But it is very popular, so be prepared to wait for a table. The vegetarian and pescatarian breakfasts were very good and coffee nice and strong. Excellent 'vibe' and great staff - we've been once before to see a band upstairs and the food looks great in the evening too, but we've not tried it yet. But as for the breakfast - good produce, well cooked and delivered exceptionally quickly considering how busy the place was. Couldn't ask for more.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great range of teas. Had spiced white tea and vanilla cheesecake. Very tasty but quite pricey! Alarm went off and took staff a while to turn it off with no apologies but the drinks and cakes were good.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Ok I do enjoy a good cup of tea and a slice of cake I do admit. But if you want to eat and drink I a quiet and calm place it's best to just stick to Costa or Cafe Nero or starbucks. Each time I have been in leaf it's very noisy and quite hectic a lot of rushing around it seems. But the tea is good and I recommend the brownies there. Very social atmosphere lovely interior decoration. Lots of different teas. If your on bold street and sick of having Costa or starbucks or neros then pop in. Best time to go is before 5pm after that it gets quite loud and hectic. There are up and downstairs seating. Tables and chairs and also a few Settees. Very student orientated but lovely.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Whilst at Uni in Liverpool I frequented this place with course mates, and now I get back there as often as possible. We found we could just sit in here for hours chilling out without being hassled, drinking copious amounts of tea (and/or beer depending how stressful our classes had been) and eating as many cakes as possible. Alongside the tea and cakes they serve great meals. I would recommend the chicken sandwich which is just delicious. It is always so fresh and full of flavour. The brownies are the BEST. They are rich, dark, fresh and yummy. My personal favourite teas are 'basketful of berries' (a fruity explosion!) and 'champagne cassis' (a delicate and delicious tea) but there are loads to choose from, and you can also buy them to take home (which I do). The monthly 'Pudding Club' is also fantastic. It is such a bargain - around £13 for 5 courses of puddings and teas to complement. It allows you to try new flavours which you might not normally and is such a fun and different evening out with friends. I had the Afternoon Tea here with my partner a few months back. It is well priced and the food was just as delicious as always (the chefs at this place are amazing - I have never had a bad meal) but the service was rather lacking on that occasion which was a shame. It was probably more noticeable because it was table service rather than bar service. The staff in general are okay. A couple seem too 'cool' to be nice to the customers, but saying that there are some real gems. The last time I visited there was a super friendly and attentive guy (I think he was new) but he was fabulous and made us all laugh and encouraged us to stay for longer (and spend more money!) The guy who often does the announcements at pudding club is also really great. Overall, the food quality, food value and chilled out atmosphere make it one of my favourite places to go when meeting friends even though I now have to travel a bit further to get there. Can't wait 'til my next visit!