“Wouldn't recommend this place”

Maritime Dining Room
Ranked #296 of 1,700 Restaurants in Liverpool
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated on the top floor of Merseyside Maritime Museum, the Maritime Dining Room offers modern regional food made in-house by our team of talented, award winning chefs. Our menus use locally sourced ingredients and are updated regularly to make the most of fresh seasonal produce. Relax and enjoy our two course Sunday roast, taking in the stunning waterfront views and historic setting. We offer a choice of Sunday roasts including traditional roast beef with crisp Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Follow your Sunday roast with your favourite dessert, such as our fabulously indulgent sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce. Fancy a treat? Our delicious and decadent afternoon tea includes a selection of savoury modern favourites, delicious homemade cakes and delicate patisserie, accompanied by freshly baked fruit scones served with homemade fruit conserve and fresh cream.
England
“Wouldn't recommend this place”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I started my recent visit to the museum with lunch in the Dining Rooms. I had been really looking forward to it as the online menu looked lovely and the photos of the room and the views really appealing, but I was quite disappointed by the reality of the experience.

What I liked:
* Lovely, friendly staff - dealt with problems with good grace
* Great views, especially from the north side
* When the food finally arrived, it tasted good enough

What I didn't like:
* Very, veeerrry long wait for the food
* Then when it finally arrived, my meal wasn't properly cooked first time and had to go back to the kitchen (was hungry enough to eat the table cloth by this point!)
* The room lacked atmosphere
* The background music was too loud

Wouldn't go again, there are plenty of other options nearby.

• Visited January 2012

Liverpool
“Titanic probably sunk faster than the service here”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime, it's a big place but they only had about 4 other tables occupied, however the service was painfully slow. We arrived about 12.20 and didnt leave for over 2 hours, it took a long time to have our orders taken and there was a lengthy wait between courses. We were with yound children and they got very bored. The food itself was perfectly nice, but we were so hungry by the time it came we just wolfed it down in 30 seconds flat.

• Visited October 2011
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beautiful settings, beautiful food and amazing service!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I recently visited the Maritime Dining Rooms with my partner. We both tried the sunday offer which included two courses for £8.95 which in my opinion is superb value for such , but it you wanted you could even have three courses which would still only cost a reasonable price of £12.95. We both agreed that the food was fantastic and would happily visit again. Also, we were lucky enough to have a table seat at the window and could enjoy the historic view of the Albert Dock.
All in all, the food, view and service, from very attentive staff, was faultless and we have no worries recommending this restaurant to anyone else.

• Visited September 2011
Johnathan M, Manager at Maritime Dining Room, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear JohnO, Thank you for your fantastic review following your visit to The Maritime Dining Room and for remarking particularly on "the food, view and service, from very attentive staff, was faultless" it is very kind of you and it means a lot to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Kind Regards
Johnathan Monks
Preston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I had a disappointing Saturday afternoon visit to this restaurant. Firstly, the waitress led me to one of the few tables with no window view, even though tables with window views were available - not a good start. It didn't get better with the food. I ordered the light afternoon tea: pot of tea, selection of finger sandwiches, slice of fruit cake, and scone with clotted cream and jam. It sounded reasonable for £6. However, the selection of finger sandwiches turned out to be just three, and with each one roughly three centimetres wide that makes a total bread content of roughly one large slice, according to my measurements and calculations. That's miserly.

Two of the sandwiches had some grated cheese on them (cheddar I think), probably amounting to little more than a tablespoon's worth in total. The other had a bit of meat (I'd guess ham). So just three sandwiches, and only two varieties; that's not really a "selection" in my book. Finally, the slice of fruit cake amounted to barely a mouthful, and the pitifully small scone (about 4cm x 5cm) was hard and dry; in fact let's say stale - it had the texture of a rock cake.

Finally, nobody asked how everything was when I paid the bill. Will I be going back there? Nope.

• Visited August 2011
Johnathan M, Manager at Maritime Dining Room, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear 'Polyglot66', thank you for your review and for choosing us for your recent trip out.

Needless to say, I am most concerned to learn of the issues you highlighted from your afternoon out. We will certainly learn from your experience to ensure a similar situation is unable to arise.

I am also sorry to understand you found our Light Afternoon Tea not up to expected standards. I am guessing that maybe the Afternoon Tea or the Full Afternoon Tea would have been more to your liking.

We do hope that this will not be your last visit to Maritime Dining Rooms Liverpool and that you may choose us in the future.

Best regards.

Johnathan Monks
Buckinghamshire
“Lovely location spoiled by poor service and mixed cooking”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We went there for lunch whilst visiting Liverpool at the suggestion of local friends. Super window table overlooking the dock and initial speedy service which deteriorated as the place filled up. The megrim a fish not often seen on menus was delicous but fish and chips looked disappointingly pallid and turned out to be poorly cooked with soggy chips and still runny batter inside. making it inedible. It was changed for the megrim but without apology and by the time the replacement came everyone else had finished their meal. Then I had to ask repeatedly for the bill and in the ned walk up to the till inorder to pay. This place could be so nice if the staff got their act together

• Visited July 2011