“Best weekend ever ....”

The Lord Nelson Hotel
Ranked #56 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I spent 3 nights here on this visit but stayed here at least 6 times now. The rooms were clean and a good size. The hotel is very near Lime street station with many interesting places to visit close by. The staff are excellent as always, nothing is any problem day or night. Yes it can be noisy depending on the other guests but think this would be true in other hotels. This hotel is very good value and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 July 2013

4 friends and I spent 3 nights here. The rooms were clean and a good size. The hotel is very near Lime street station with many interesting places to visit close by. The staff are excellent, nothing is any problem day or night. Yes it can be noisy depending on the other guests but think this would be true in other hotels. This hotel is very good value and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I stay here when im in liverpool for the game and not a bad place to stay in tbh!!great location and a good bar in the back!!staff are helpful and rooms are clean !!its also reasonably priced!!i will definately be back again !!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I paid a deposit at time of booking, so needed to pay the balance (almost £50) when I checked in. The receptionist said "You'll have to pay cash because our card machine is broken - is that alright?" I told her it wasn't, as I didn't have that much cash on me. She told me where the two nearest cash machines were, expecting me to drag all my luggage back down the front steps (on a hot afternoon) and along the street and back before I could check in. Eventually she agreed to let me put the luggage in my room and then go to the ATM. Incidentally, she did not give me a receipt for the cash, I had to request one when I checked out.

There is a lift in the hotel but there are a few steps in the corridors, and the lift is switched off between 10pm and 7am because of the noise. The hotel is generally noisy, inside and out. Lime Street station is across the road, and the Academy music venue is right next door. The walls and doors are pretty thin.

My room was cold, despite it being a sunny afternoon. There was a fan heater in the bathroom, but this went to the other extreme, throwing off overpowering heat. The room itself had a wall heater, but I was reluctant to have this on for too long, as it had 'do not cover' notices on, and the curtains draped right across it! There was no chair in the room, just two single beds and bedside cabinets.

The bathroom was fairly spacious, but had only a tiny shelf for toiletries. The light over the mirror made no difference at all. The plug in the sink was of a ridiculous design, showering water everywhere each time I used the sink. There was no bin in the bathroom.

Breakfast was included in my room rate but it was pretty dull - a small selection of cold items (cereals, yogurts, bread, bakery items, ham and cheese) plus tea, coffee and juice. The bakery items were not fresh; they were packaged and were stodgy and tasteless.

There is no car parking at the hotel - I used the station car park, which offers a reasonable overnight rate. (For the record, there is a further discount for booking that online, though you need to get car park staff to validate your ticket before you leave, and the previous time I used it, the guy had gone for a break and I almost overran the time limit waiting for him to return).

Check out time is 11am, but by 10.30am the housekeeping staff were banging on my door, despite the 'Do Not Disturb' sign hanging there.

This is an old hotel that has had a very superficial facelift, and is overpriced for the facilities and service they offer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sometimesong
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

This place is ok if your stretching your cash,irs close to centre but in a rough area.The room was small and bathroom wasnt clean as the shower had black in grout and aroumd shower unit. It was a place for roudy youngsters who shouted and slammed doors throughtout the night. I had breakfast where i pulled a long blonde hair out of my mouth must have been in the cereal bowl ...bork..Not a good experience for me i wont be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Myself and 2 girl friends stayed here for 1 night on Sat 25th May. This hotel is at the top end of the city next door to the O2 academy but within easy reach of everything and has a car park that is very reasonable right opposite. On arrival there was a problem with the card machine not working and we had a little trouble sorting out money (cash, I mean who uses cash these days?) but after a little tutting and my friend refusing to hand over her card to be copied and kept (Again, who would do that) one chap behind the desk said its ok, we have a deposit its fine. Hooray, sense at last. So into the lift to go to our room, 316. The lift unfortunately only goes to the 2nd floor and we had to ascend another 2 flights to our room in the attic with our suitcases etc.
The room was small, but clean and tidy, had 1 double and a single and a nice size bathroom. BUT NO WINDOWS! There was a tiny velux in the ceiling but when we opened it to let in some light (couldn't get the shade up on it) we were attacked by an angry seagull that was on it! I had to poke it hard with the velux pole and eventually it moved over but we couldnt open the velux very far in case it came in!!
So, there we were, flowers in the attic. The TV was big! We found a channel that had the outside world on it so we could see something resembling a view!! There was a kettle and cups and tea & coffee.
We went out to dine that night and had a couple of drinks but on arrival back at the hotel at 11.30 saw the sign which said the lift goes off at 10pm so we had to walk up lots of flights back to the room. Next morning of course we all showered but then realised NO HAIRDRYER! I would have thought this to be a MUST in any room. No phone in room to call reception so rang on my mobile and was told sorry theres no one here to fetch one up so one of our party had to go all the way down and get one from reception. Luckily only couple of flights to go up and down as lift was working from 7am! Bathroom was lovely big size and shower was good too.
Breakfast was continental and lots of choice, very very good. Coffee cheap at breakfast, not nice.
So to sum up, service was friendly and good (despite my couple of gripes), room was not good for us as no windows, no natural light and damn seagull!
The staff were friendly.
BUT..I would recommend it and I would stay again but not in that room.

Room Tip: If staying here bear in mind that the lift goes off at 10pm - 7am, if you have trouble walking upsta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed at the Lord Nelson for 2 nights in May 2013. Having arrived in Liverpool by train, I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel was literally only 2 mins walk from Lime St station and less than 10 mins walk from the city centre..
I checked in just after 6pm and was allocated a double room even though I had only booked a single. The room itself was fairly basic but comfortable. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room which were replenished on the 2nd morning. The room also contained a large flatscreen HD TV which was attached to the wall, this was a pleasant surprise as well as the fact I got a double room for the price of a single. The bathroom was very large, there was soap and shower gel provided along with the regulation towels. The power shower was excellent. The only down side to the room really was that there were one or two marks on the bedroom wall. As the hotel was undergoing a refurbishment I believe my room was one of those still to be done although it was still okay.
The only breakfast option was continental, this wasn't a problem as the choice of ham, various cheeses, croissants, toast, cereals, fruit juice etc was very good. The only complaint I have about the breakfast was regarding the hot drinks, you literally only got a small pot of tea ( 1 1/2 cups) or a standard size cup of coffee, on neither occasion was another pot of tea etc offered. This does need to be looked at or if not provide larger cups or mugs. For anyone wishing to have a Full English Breakfast there is a decent Wetherspoons pub just over 5 mins walk away.
Wifi is available at the hotel although there are two computer terminals in reception which offer access to the internet from 50p for 15 mins . I did use this but the computers did have a tendency to freeze so I would recommend bringing your own laptop instead.
When I checked out (you don't need to vacate your room until 11am, most hotels are 10am) I was able to leave my bag at the hotel free of charge. It was kept in a secure room near to reception. As my train wasnt until the afternoon, this was very helpful and enabled me to walk around the city without carrying a heavy bag. If you are looking for luxury then look elsewhere, but for basic comfortable accommodation at a reasonable price then I would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo