“Could do better !”

Ranked #67 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Could do better !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights on a cheap deal. Location is good Sefton Park just across the road a fantastic place to relax and wander around. A 10 minute walk along the edge of Sefton Park and Lark Lane has pubs and restaurants a three minute walk and you can catch the bus into the sity centre, every 3 mins in the morning! About 10 mins on the bus and you are at the waterfront.
Our room was clean and tidy and the bathroom had been recently refurbed with new shoer unit but finishing off lacked attention to detail ie shower tray not sealed properly holes left all over the walls from previous unit. Curtain at the window not fixed quite properly.
We had dinner on the 1st night the theme is Italian and in general the meal was ffine but the Bruschetta Starter my wife had was a lightly toasted medium slice of brown bread which had gone soogy under chopped tomatoes and onion...attention to detail again. There were a couple of dishes unavailable due to sell out but it was quiet!
Breakfast was fine but tea in a flask doesnt really hit the spot and again for a limited option English Breakfast no tomatoes or Mushrooms were available.
The hospitality tray was hit and miss in the room the first day only one coffee the second day only 3 small milk portions again attention to detail.
The staff were enthusiastic but obviously lacking in guidance it would appear that the owner goes on holiday a lot and the staff have good fun when he is not there. This is ultimately where I feel this Hotel is missing something if the owner was there more monitoring standards and taking a close look at the operation and giving some guidance to the team so as to provide a more consistant operation the hotrel could be much better.
However overall still not bad but as the old school report goes could do better.

Room Tip: A room on the front will have views of the lake
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnbluefox
CEO_RoscoeCollection, General Manager at Sefton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear JohnBlueFox,

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I have shared your comments with the relevant Heads of Department and the necessary action has been taken to remedy your concerns.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Blenheim Lakeside again in the future.

CEO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked a cheap deal and paid to extend it for a night. Location was good - right in Sefton Park with a view of the lake but an easy bus ride into town. The room was large, bright and clean - but the curtain was hanging off. Breakfast was more of a disappointment - muesli running out, tea from a flask and overcooked scrambled egg. The staff were very variable - some cheery - others weary and bored. No discernable management input - although hard to tell as no name badges.... A shame - I feel the hotel has potential but falls short.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AOBristol
Hello AO Bristol,

Thank you for your recent review of The Blenheim. We listen to all guest feedback and always take the appropriate action based on this. I have passed your concerns onto my team and they have since been remedied.

I note from your review scores that you found our rooms to be clean, comfortable and offer value for money. I am delighted that you found this to be the case and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kindest Regards
Wirral
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked a room here to attend a wedding reception at same hotel.... we intended to arrive at hotel, eat, get ready and go downstairs to the reception... We thought it would make a hassel free night out where we didnt have to worry about taxi's etc and a cooked breakfast the following day. How wrong we were. Upon arriving at the hotel were told that there was no room available??? Well, there was a room available when they took my money. I left email and phone number when room was booked, paid in full, then printed off my confirmation and receipt!!! No one bothered to ring me or send me an email...they waited till we got there to tell us. Receptionist said they had no record of my booking however she was able to refund money back onto my card without me giving her my card details.(so she obviously was lying and did have a record of it...they had probably overbooked themselves)Yes they refunded my money, but that's not the point. What about the petrol and tunnel charges etc and all that wasted time, and then to miss the reception as we had to drive home. We are totally disgusted with the whole experience. When I asked for the manager/owner he conveniently wasn't there...and i might add that he has made no effort to contact us to apologise. I sent an email the same night to hotel and Toprooms who we booked with. I sent further emails the following day. As yet, I have had no reply from either....not an apology or reason for their mix up. I have booked many hotels, always online and have never been subject to this kind of treatment. I would never reccommend this hotel to anyone....and a tip to the hotel....maybe they should employ customer service staff with the ability to serve customers and train them to be honest and apologetic when they make mistakes. It was obvious that they just couldnt care less about the whole thing.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lisa-Wirral
SeftonParkHotel, General Manager at Sefton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Lisa-Wirral,

I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed with the experience and level of service which you received at our hotel. Although it was some time ago I would like to resolve this matter and give you the opportunity to experience the high levels of service which we offer. If you could e-mail me on stay@seftonparkhotel.co.uk with your contact details I would be delighted to contact you to discuss this matter further.

Kind regards
Conor

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

I came here to be close to a friend- who lives nearby..its a great spot with the fabulous Sefton Patk on the door step.

I was in spacious room 2 that had a double bed and a single but I was on my own. Very comfy bed and quiet. Bathroom was small with shower and no bath but plenty of hot water.

Breakfast was til 10. I came down at 9.45. The usual cereals were available- coffee and tea in jug flasks had run out. The full English was very good. It took a while to arrive and I had to remind about cutlery, butter etc. So service could have been better. I did overhear the waitress being very helpful to a couple wanting to know how to get the train to Southport.

Free wifi was great. Counter staff and night porter were friendly.

For Beatle fans- Stuart Sutcliffe lived here.

So I'd say this is good value, great for South Liverpool or just outside city venues.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Davescunningplan
Hi DavesCunningham,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Blenheim. I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourself and I have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We held our little boys Christening Party here in mid June.
From start to finish it was a great experience.
What stood out the most for us was the excellent staff inparticularly Laura who effectively ran the whole show - making sure all the little bits of detail were taken care off. She is an asset to this hotel.
It's very clean, the food was great and plentiful, the marquee , where we had our party was superb too. Location is great as it's right on Sefton Park with great views.

A little gem.

So overall a fantastic day made by some great people. Well done.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Hello Udxp14,

Thank you for your review and kind comments about our hotel. I have passed them onto Laura and the team. I'm delighted that you had a great day. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was lovely, lovely views from our hotel room of the lake and the staff were lovely and welcoming, most of the time. Our room was lovely, clean and spacious but our bathroom door didn't shut never mind lock and we had no tea, coffee, sugar or milk so when asked if we could have some the woman only gave us tea bags so had to ask for milk too and she practically threw the milk at us. The bed was comfy but it was two single beds put together. The room was warm and we could only open one window 2-3 inches but we understand that was for safety. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that. All in all we enjoyed our stay and thought it was very good for what we payed (£17.00) and we would visit again if there was another offer on but probably wouldn't pay the full price for a room. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Hi KittyKatManc,

Thank you for your recent review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I have raised the maintenance and customer service issues which you mentioned with the relevant Heads of Department and these have now been remedied. We are presently refurbishing the entire hotel and appreciate all feedback so that we can continue to improve the guest experience which we offer. Look forward to seeing you again at The Blenheim.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Another KGB deal - £99 for two people for two nights B&B with a two course meal on one of the nights and two glasses of champagne.

Chose this hotel for the location which was outside of the main city centre and this proved to be an inspired decision! There was ample free car parking and we used buses into and out of the city which were frequent with bus stops only a 10 minute walk away. An all day ticket with Aviva buses was less than £4.00 per person which was very good value for money. The hotel is literally on the door step of Sefton Park which is where we ended both days having a lovely walk around the park, which is worth a visit in itself.

The room was a very good size as was the en suite bathroom and both were modern and well maintained. Breakfast was good (although the scrambled egg on the second day was a bit strange!) with lots to choose from and the evening meals were also very good and excellent value for money – think it was less than £12 per person for two courses – and since it was so good, we ate there both nights. The main restaurant was being renovated so had to eat in the bar, which was absolutely fine given that it was Euro 2012! Staff were friendly and helpful with lots of advice on transport etc.

Would definitely stay there again and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Probably ask for one at the rear as it was a bit noisy in the front room, although the view of the p...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stenolass
Hi StenoLass,

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our food offering. We have expanded this recently with the launch of Michelangelo's Italian Restaurant in the hotel. My team were delighted to hear your praise for them. Look forward to seeing you again soon.