“exellent hotel”

Ranked #65 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Uttoxeter
“exellent hotel”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We cant belive its been 12 months from our last review , we have been back for the famous steak on the stone as it is a steak cooked to perfection, we go to liverpool to see our daughter and take every opportunity to stay in the very well refurbished hotel as often as we can.We find the service is excellent and the prices are very reasonable.We only wish we lived closer so we can use the restaurant more often. We have started a guest house ourselves in Uttoxeter and base our friendlyness on Conner and the staff nothing to much trouble. Look forward to our next fantastic meal in your beauiful resturant.
Regards Cris and Jan

Room Tip: Overlook the lake fantastic view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night and it was perfect. View on park is fantastivs. Also there is restaurant and pub in this hotel. Prices there are not high enough.

Also we really loved the bed and pillows in this hotel. They are perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I'm giving the Sefton park hotel a 5 for purely the great evening we had.
We held our evening wedding reception here on the 7th June.
Prior to the actual event we had good communication with Connor via email and personal meetings.
As part of the deal for holding the party here we had a B&B overnight stay, a few friends booked on the morning and managed to get a room for £54!!
Another couple managed to get a deal for 2 nights B&B for a family of 4 which cost £150!
Two good deals in my opinion.
The hotel overlooks Sefton Park which on a sunny day is an amazing park and lovely to walk around.
We were met by the reception staff who I found to be really polite and helpful.
The bar area is clean and tidy and well stocked and reasonably priced.
We stayed in room 102 which overlooks the marque, it's a bit of shame as the view isn't up to much.
The room was spacious and spotless, a few little things to moan about.
The curtains did not fully close as they seemed to have fallen from the curtain rail.
I was going to tell the staff about this and I'm pretty sure they would've fixed the problem, only I forgot as I was a bit side tracked. It didn't disturb my sleep anyway!
There was a bit of a smell from the toilet but a quick spray of deodorant put a stop to that.
We had a drinks for the guests when they arrived and Connor managed to get his hands on some Keo lager that I asked for.
Unfortunately the delivery man dropped and smashed some the previous day, Connor spent the next day running around all the local supermarkets getting replacements. This I know as I actually saw him getting out of a car with carrier bags full of Keo, and also some friends had been to the near by Tesco to buy some and were told they had sold out.
Anyway onto the evening bash downstairs.
We had the resident DJ, a BBQ buffet (it rained in the evening) which ended up being cooked on the grills in the kitchen, and cold buffet.
The food was demolished and everyone was very impressed and commented on how tasty the food was.
The bar prices are really good, cheaper than the bars in the city centre.
We must also mention Hannah who managed the function, she was really helpful and didn't seem to stop all night and kept us informed with the evenings running of things, buffet times, first dance, etc...
Also the bar staff were really good and kept the beer and wine flowing when our guests arrived.
We headed up to the residents bar at around 1 o'clock, I will say that once in our room we couldn't really hear much noise coming from the bar area, and there was a bit of noise from our guests who were drinking there.
The breakfast is a buffet style with choices of cereals, toast, Danish pastries, fresh juices, tea and coffee. The waitress then takes your order for breakfasts, we had the full english and were not disappointed. We were told that we could have anything, from beans on toast, poached eggs etc. A very filling breakfast just what the doctor ordered!
My inlaws where situated on the top floor in one of the family rooms as they done us the favour of having out young children sleeping there. It was a bit of a hike for my mother in law who is not particularly good on her legs. Unfortunately I don't think there is any room for a lift, maybe a stair lift would be a good idea.
The hotel is clean and tidy, I can understand some peoples views on here about the prices. I feel that they are slightly overpriced for what you get, if your paying £130 plus for a room then you will pick anything to have a moan about.
I've stayed in the Hilton in the City Centre and found faults with their rooms.
You can get really good late deals through the hotel..example for
1 nights stay tonight (Sunday) it's £35!!
My new in laws did say about the extra charge, but as my father in law is deaf and my mother in law doesn't listen sometimes it was only that I had read on here about the charge that I knew what it was for.
I would happily recommend here for functions, & the BBQ buffet menu.
Also if i could get a good deal on the rooms then I would also stay here again.
A great night and thanks to the staff who made it all go so well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bilsy76
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was classed as a budget hotel, so we weren't sure what to expect. However, it was clean and serviceable and we were able to take our dog with us. Unlike the previous reviewer, I was told upfront about the extra charge for the pet - perhaps because I booked directly. The staff were young, helpful and enthusiastic and the location was excellent. Walking through the park was a lovely way to start the day for both me and the dog!
We normally stay in the city centre when visiting family, but it was so good not to have the hassle of car parking and the resultant fees for parking.
We enjoyed a first class meal in the restaurant, and considering the chef (Gabriel) was on his own in the kitchen, he did an absolutely stirling job. The food was hot, plentiful and tasty and good value for money. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pat k
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the Sefton Park Hotel this week (Monday and Tuesday 26/27th May) Its a great location right on the park and a really easy commute into the wonderful city of Liverpool. We booked the hotel as we used to live close to Lark Lane and found a good deal of £42 per room per night on the basis that it is advertised as a dog friendly hotel (our dog loves the park!) To summarise quickly, basic rooms but OK for the money, friendly staff on reception and a nice stay in all. I'd be disappointed had I paid full price but we hadn't so fair enough. We got what we paid for.

However, similarly to other reviews here there are some quite worrying features of this hotel that you and booking.com need to be aware of.

After our stay there was a charge debited from our account with no approval 'for the dog' We informed the hotel online on our initial enquiry that we would be bringing a dog. No reply to our request so we called just to make sure. I remember my partner coming off the phone to the hotel saying how nice they had been and that yes it was fine to bring our dog. On arrival we paid for our room and were also told of the £25 fee that is pre authorised for any incidentals. Fine. No receipt was given however. At no point were we told there was a charge for the dog so we were mystified when a payment of £30 appeared 2 days after our stay. What was the money taken without authority for?

We called the hotel annoyed but assuming it was a mistake and were told it was for a dog staying. Had we been told previously we might have accepted the £15 a night charge. Seemed steep but extra cleaning etc etc. On our first call the lady who answered actually said that seems a lot but I'll check with the manager.

After waiting to speak to the manager a blazing row followed after the manager (a lady) blatantly lied to us saying we had been told prior to arriving on the telephone that we would be charged. Unbelievable. This honestly did not happen. Its their word against ours so here lies the problem. If we were told surely we would have paid there and then, not subsequently? We were accused of leaving an upaid bill. We paid on arrival! Our dog was clearly with us, you couldn't really miss her. If they had forgotten why not tell us later during our stay or when we checked out. If we were told we would have disputed it but I'm sure come to an agreement as we wanted to stay at the hotel. It would have set our mini break off to a bad start but I wouldn't drive all the way home for the sake of £30 although I would have been annoyed. The female manager said she had personally overheard the conversation when we were told there was a £15 per night charge on the phone. Really? Another lie. Again what kind of manager would behave like this? Its incredibly unprofessional. The manager also refused to give us her surname. Again slightly strange behaviour.

We've had to complain to booking.com and ask for their assistance being the booking agent with our dispute. They've been great. The Sefton Park Hotel has been terrible.

Booking.com called the Sefton Park hotel to speak to the owner and they had no joy. In fact after having a discussion with the owner of the hotel they came back to us saying 'well he's not a very nice man'. Their calls are probably recorded so I'd like to know exactly what was said. After this perhaps based on that experience booking.com refunded £20 to us as a gesture of goodwill. This did not come from the owner of the hotel. I doubt booking.com would do this unless they believed us and not the owner.

After that conversation we realised that we had to block the hotel from taking any more unathorised payments which they seem to do at will. Thus a lengthy worrying call to our bank ensued. The odd thing is that on the online debit for the charge taken without our consent it says the Roscoe House Hotel which is not where we stayed but is owned by Conor [--]. Mr [--] now I believe owns the Sefton Park Hotel which was oddly advertised as the Blenheim when we booked online. Maybe they are all the same company. I'm sure he will tell us.
> The really worrying thing is that they are prepared to manually debit money at free will once they have your details without consent. This means we are probably going to have to monitor bank statements for a while to come.Our bank has had to start a procedure to recover the money.

The whole thing had left a bad taste as our stay had been good and we wanted to stay again. Its an OK hotel in a good location. Not what I'd class as boutique but maybe that was just our room. Room 201. (ask to have a look at it if you don't believe us.. it's boutique only in size, has a broken towel rail, lights that don't work and its noisy but hey it was £42, its a budget hotel and it allows dogs so it matched our expectations. I'm sure it has much nicer more expensive rooms) However to be directly accused by the female manager of lying ourselves and for Mr [--] to not to have had the professional courtesy to resolve this is very very poor and embarrassing for a hotel. Reception, the manager and the owner have all already been approached and have had an opportunity to put things right. They've declined and lied.

Be warned and read carefully earlier reviews of disputes with the management of this hotel. There's a fair few one stars. More than most. I'd be surprised if booking.com continue to allow them to use their website after what they said to us. Having worked in the travel industry for 14 years for a large independent travel company I've luckily not had to experience this before. To have £30 stolen from our account is surely illegal business practice and to be accused of lying is disgraceful. Ourselves and booking.com should not be out of pocket due to the handling of this situation.

It's a shame that we have had to resort to having to post such negative online feedback but the Sefton Park Hotel have left us no choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank 32MJB

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed there in emergency after our uncomfortable experience with the Stalbridge Guest House (see other review). We booked the room on the day of our arrival with absolutely no problems. It wasn`t cheap at all, but what can you expect 10 hours before arrival? Anyway, it was the cheapest I could find.

The location is wonderful, with an amazing view of the Sefton Park. The house itself is an old Victorian villa, which is well-kept and has the atmosphere of its time. As I am reading other reviews of this place, I see many people expect a Hilton or a Premier Inn - but this is not the kind of hotel they subscribed to! It`s a very nice villa hotel in the suburbs, with good transit link to the centre (bus, train) and the airport (bus, 8 GBP taxi).

The room had two rather shabby wooden beds, but it was enough for us. The linen was changed every day and the room was vacuumed regularly. The bathroom was OK - big enough and comfortable enough to spend the morning shower there.

The service was very helpful and responded to each of our requests promptly. Thumbs up.

The reception and the bar is open 24 hours a day, which was very convenient.

Room Tip: Not for a tight-up businessman. Great for a normal couple :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Art_Ravenwolf
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited the Sefton Park for one night only on a flying visit to Liverpool and we're delighted by our choice.A friendly hassle free welcome and two we'll equipped modern rooms awaited. The hotel,while steeped in history has been tastefully renovated inside with a small welcoming bar with a view over the adjoining park.No hesitation in booking again in the future.Good luck to the owners who deserve every success.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family