“Excellent Hotel”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #70 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is one of the nicest stays I have spent in a hotel in the UK. Large room, affordable rate. Large bathroom, great plumbing. Very comfortable bed. Great dining room for breakfast and evening dinner (no lunch service). Dinner was about £1 more expensive than could have been, alternative was to walk or drive some distance to other restaurants. Most hospitality staff are very friendly, almost family like, and competent. Friendly without being nosey. Wedding events on the weekends bring the place alive, but you don't hear the party noise unless you try. The garden is peaceful and beautiful. The nightly rate could have been £5 less for a single booking multiple nights, but for a couple it would be well worth it. The social bar mixes travelers with locals. A very nice old style hotel, in a historic building. Taxi service to city center is less than £5, and bus service is a block in either direction. If you rely on Internet service, be sure to tell them so you get booked in the best possible location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Nick B
DevonshireHouse, Administrator at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

A massive "Thank You" from everyone here at The Devonshire House Hotel for such a kind review of our hotel. Comments such as yours certainly makes our day brighter. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Liverpool and will look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Unfortunately I have to say that this is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The place is absolutely disgusting and dirty. If we had not been staying due to a family wedding at the hotel, we would have changed hotels straight away.
On arrival we were placed in a room that had just been replastered that day and still had wet paint on the walls and smelt of paint fumes. When we asked to move rooms they refused saying that the hotel was fully booked due to the wedding. It was only after we caused a fuss that they moved us to another room (155) which wasn't much better than the first. In the room we were moved to you could see a large dark brown stain on the carpet next to the bed where someone had obviously got sick and it had stained the carpet.
We had problems with our key cards not working the whole time we were there and also the TV remote control did not work. The shower did not spray properly due to limescale build up in the shower head.
The toilet made a loud howling noise every time it was flushed and you could hear banging doors, taps running and toilets being flushed from other rooms all night.
On top of this when we went down to breakfast the cutlery was absolutely disgusting. There was dried food stuck to the cutlery, stains in the cups (which disappeared if you ran your finger around the cup) and lipstick stains all over the glasses. Suffice to say we took one look at the cutlery and decided to buy our breakfast from the local garage next door.
In the two days that were there we hardly saw a receptionist sat the the desk and had to shout through to the back if we needed attending. The only good thing i will say about this hotel is that we did meet a lovely male receptionist on the day we were checking out.
Overall this hotel is a disgrace and should be reported to the hotel inspection board. There seemed little point in complaining as we discovered following the problems with our first room, due to the fact that they were clearly not interested and did not care whether we were happy or not.
I will never stay at this hotel again and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SurfySmurfy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel while I admit that I am very disappointed to read your comments.
We have no record of receiving any such complaint around the time your review was posted, so I would appreciate if you could contact the hotel directly and we would be happy to speak to you regarding the issues you experienced during your stay. You may contact us be email at reservations@devonshirehouse.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I was given a room where the toilet didn't flush only to be told that they would fix it during the day and would be ok that evening. I wasn't staying another night so it was of no help to me. Three out of the four light bulbs in the bathroom didn't work and the cups in the room were chipped. It has an air of faded grandeur. They are trying but failing to be something they aren't. The gardens are beautiful but I arrived late and left early so more attention to the rooms would be time better spent. As I say faded grandeur - peeling/ripped wallpaper and broken lights around the building. Radiators have been taken off walls and pipework not completely taken out. Reception staff not helpful and I had to suggest that I not be charged for breakfast in view of the toilet problems, they should have offered this. Breakfast is £7 for 1 or £12 for 2 people regardless of what you eat so tea and toast is the same price as a glutton eating a huge plate full. Reception did not mention breakfast when I checked in. Finding the room was a challenge as no one assisted in the search for the room and it is a bit of a maze.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Southener57
Reviewed 30 June 2011

we stayed there five days with a coach tour.the staff were great very freindly would do any thing for you at the bar i drink whisky & ironbru they did not sell ironbrue so the manager said it was ok to use my own as they did not stock it thought it was good of them to let me do that.the food was good you had 2 choices for the evening .the breakfast was the same every day it would have been nice to have a change but what we paid it was good .our room and bed were vary clean.the decor was a bit tiired looking.apart from that it was a great hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: we had a large room on the top floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy R
DevonshireHouse, Administrator at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you from everyone here at The Devonshire House Hotel for such a kind review of our hotel. Comments such as yours certainly makes our day a lot brighter. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your coach trip and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hotel made the function room into a themed room, it looked absolutely fabulous, you felt special from the moment you walked in. It was airy, bright, comfortable and the table decorations eyecatching yet discreet. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the management went out of their way to make our night unforgetable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
DevonshireHouse, Sales Co-ordinator at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

A BIG Thank you from the Management and Staff here at The Devonshire House Hotel for taking the time to write this review and indeed your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

My husband and I are not very fussy when it comes to hotels, as long as it is clean and is good value for money we're not bothered about decor or superficial things. As a 3 star hotel we were not expecting anything grand and knew that not all rooms would be like the ones on the website as forewarned by Trip advisor but we did at least expect a good standard of cleanliness. Unfortunately the bathroom was not very clean. I have an extremely good nose and could smell something bad so I decided to inspect the toilet closer and noticed that not only was there still some wee on the inside of the seat and as I was kneeling I noticed there was also dried on diarrheoa down the outside of the pan. As it was late I ended up having to wipe this up myself! I then tried to get into the shower with difficulty as the handle was missing. My husband had to reach to the top of the door to pull it open as I was not tall enough. The actual room was ok. it had dated wallpaper which we expected but it was in need of revamping as it was peeling in several places and there was a hole in the wall by the door. As it was a hot night it was also quite stiffling as the ceiling was low and the windows didn't open very wide. We got our money back though by the breakfast. This was good and we tried to get our money's worth after such a poor show with the room by eating as much as we could! In terms of location, it was easy to find. Staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank vlbbank
DevonshireHouse, Sales Co-ordinator at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

All guest feedback is important to us. I regret to read that you didn't feel The Devonshire House met your expectations. I would appreciate if you could contact the hotel directly and we would be happy to speak to you regarding these issues. You may contact us by emailing:-
reservations@devonshirehouse.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed over Easter we were with a group of twenty eight of us.
The food was either frozen or tinned or from a packet and every meal was served with chips
except when they had the cheek to serve a ploughmans as the main course of an evening meal. we were promised evening entertainment which never materialised .the beds were old and worn out for the most part there was a constant going to the desk because the key cards kept failing. the wardrobes were a rail on the wall in alcove with no doors.The showers were black at the bottom lack of thorough cleaningThis trip was organised by OPAL Holidays. will never return.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank brysyt

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. All guest feedback is important to us. I am disappointed to read your comments. I would appreicate if you could contact the hotel directly and we would be happy to speak to you regarding the issues you experienced during your stay. You may contact us by emailing reservations@devonshirehouse.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you.