“Fantastic wedding venue”

Ranked #70 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic wedding venue”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We held our wedding reception at the Devonshire House last week and we were so so happy with everything. It couldn't have been any better! We had guests staying at the hotel too. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff there. They were so friendly and did things without us even having to ask. They were very flexible and worked with us each step of the planning process. They made preparations for the day go so smoothly and made us feel very relaxed about everything. The grounds are amazing for photos and although slightly dated decor, the rooms are perfectly reasonable and everyone we spoke to really enjoyed their stay. Thank you Devonshire House for a wonderful wedding! We'll always recommend you.
Margaret and Mark Timmins

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank margaret t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Not sure where to start with this Hotel! The moment I arrived I was told by a member of staff that I came in the front door with an attitude. I didn't! This was a wee trip with my son to visit Liverpool and see Liverpool Football Club and all Liverpool has to offer.

This member of staff told me that I obviously do not work in the UK and that service is not like that in Liverpool. Well in fact I have lived and worked in the UK for the last 15 years and to her surprise I told her I have worked in the Hospitality Industry in 3 continents for 22 years.

After finally checking in we went to the room (303). Spending only a few minutes in the room before heading out to see the city it was initially apparent that the furnishings and fittings in the room were clearly from the 1970's.

Upon our arrival back to the Hotel the journey up to the room was through many doors all of witch squeaked or you had to be pushed or pulled with some force.

Attempting to turn on the TV which is from the 1980's the remote did not work. After 10 minutes of trying every button, turning it on and off manually it still did not work. I proceeded to go down to reception to see if they had replacement batteries. I was addressed by a male member of staff saying that the remote did not like like Americans or Canadians. I disregarded his comment and asked if he was able to fix this problem. Much to my surprise when he entered our room it worked. Problem solved.

What can I say about the bed? I was up every hour trying to get comfortable but to know avail. On inspection of the bed at 6am it was apparent that banana shaped beds must have been the in thing back in the 70's! My back to say the least was not happy.

Breakfast was out of the question so we left and ate at another local establishment.

Spending a fantastic day all over Liverpool we returned to the Hotel. My son and I even in jest had a bet who would sleep on the double bed, I lost!

Ordering pizza yet from another outside establishment we were ready for bed. Trying the cold water tap to brush our teeth, we had no cold water. I left the tap running for over 12 minutes but still no cold water. It was HOT! I thought the "C" and "H" on the taps must have been put on the wrong side. So after trying the Hot water tap, it too was hot. Very Hot!

We had purchased a litre bottle of water that day from a shop and still had the plastic bottle. So I proceeded to go to reception and ask for some cold water to brush our teeth.

Now it was the same male member of staff that told me the night before that the remote did not like Americans or Canadians, so I asked him if he could fill my plastic bottle with some cold water because there seems to be no flowing cold water in the room. He proceed to repeat my question in a mocking American accent, "Could I get some cold water"

I once again disregarded his blatantly rude words and asked him for some cold water again. He then asked me my room number and told me that, "Yes that side of the hotel doesn't have cold water" Music to my ears as you can imagine! Not!

No wonder, when my son decided to have a bath the night before he could not. You guessed it, too hot! We couldn't even use the 500ml kettle to transfer cold water from the sink to cool the bath down. Yes again only hot water on that side of the Hotel!

Each morning we were greeted just outside the Hotel Lobby with a work man doing repairs. I asked myself maybe he knows a plumber? We were not informed of any building work when we arrived or during our short stay.

Now I must say that after the rude comments by several members of staff I was reluctant to ask for directions to Liverpool Football ground, but I did and it was the builder. Who was extremely pleasant and even walked us out almost to road to send us in the right direction to the football ground. He should consider a course in Hotel Management, he would be fantastic.

Now checking out was painless! But you would think that the member of staff would have asked us how we enjoyed our stay. He did not and we could not get out of the Hotel any quicker.

I have included some photo's of the filth in the bathroom, loose wires, paint peeling off the roof and the banana bed for you to judge for yourselves.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank I-Eat-Out-Now
DevonshireHouse, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
It is with regret that this guest has chosen to write this review about our hotel at no point during his stay were any of the comments raised to the management team.

I have investigated your comments and interviewed the staff members concerned from your review and will reply to them.

The comments with regards to the member of staff advising that you have an attitude the staff member has denied that at any point that she made these comments. The member of staff has worked at the hotel for over 12 years and this is the first time that we have ever had any comments made against the lady who you are accusing of make these remarks. I must also state that we have had many letters praising her.

The Devonshire House Hotel has an ongoing refurbishment program and the room which you were allocated at the time you stayed with us had not been refurbished. Rooms are allocated on what a guest pays and I would like to point out that you paid £13.61 net per person per night.

The comments that you have made with regards to the remote control not working after interviewing the member of staff he has also denied making the comments about American's and Canadian's. I would like to stress that the Devonshire House Hotel has many different nationalities working here.
He also advised that the remote control was working and did not require replacement batteries.

I inspected the room personally on receipt of your review I firstly proceeded to check the hot and cold water taps expecting them both to run hot but to my shock the hot was hot and the cold was cold? I appreciate that some elements of the room were slightly dated but once again rooms are allocated on what our guest is pay and as you were the lowest paying guest you were allocated one of our non refurbished rooms.

I can assure you that the hotel has both Hot and Cold water and not just hot as stated on you review.

If you felt so strongly about the hotel why at no time did you ask to speak to management with regards to the issues that you have raised in your review.

I appreciate your comments with regards to our painter and we are delighted that you noticed that we are in the process of our on going refurbishment program.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Gloucestershire
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Wanted to stay here for just 1 night on business during October. Trying to book a few days in advance, the online booking system suggested there were no vacancies for a single occupant on my chosen date. However, on ringing the hotel, I was given a room immediately. Don't give up just because the online booking system isn't perfect.

Be aware of the approach from the M62, westwards down Edge Lane. The hotel is situated on the 'wrong' side of a dual carriageway, and you are best advised to turn right down Laurel Drive well before the hotel (a big junction opposite the new Liverpool Science Park). It is then signposted on the back streets.

Car park is huge - plenty of space. Some reviews mention that the car park is unsecure, which is true, but I found no problems.

Check-in was relatively smooth, albeit there was quite a wait at the desk whilst a number of people scurried around in a room behind.

The room itself, a double room overlooking the private gardens to the south on the first floor, was incredibly spacious - one of the largest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. It was furnished with the 'usual' hotel furniture, although the writing desk was taken up with a huge TV and was of no real practical use. Tea/coffee facilities were fine. Bathroom was equally spacious. Absolutely no complaints about size.

One very good point - unlike many hotels these days, the large bedroom (and bathroom) windows opened fully, and weren't restricted to just a few millimetres.

The furnishings had, perhaps, seen better days, and perhaps the bed linen wasn't "5 star", but it was all perfectly satisfactory.

Didn't experience breakfast, but did take evening dinner in the restaurant. Dinner ended at 9:30pm, but by 9pm I was the only one in the restaurant. Felt a bit lonely, especially when the waiter cleared all the other tables and made them into breakfast tables whilst I was still eating. And the delivery of drinks was a little slow, perhaps not helped by the waiter 'forgetting' my order. But the food was good quality, and plentiful. Just minor grumbles really.

If you're used to four-star accommodation on business or pleasure trips, then this is perhaps not the hotel for you. But if you need some comfortable, clean and relaxing to stay for a day or two whilst on a budget, this is absolutely perfect. It is, quite possibly, the best value-for-money hotel I have ever stayed in in this country.

Room Tip: Something on the 'west wing' facing the private gardens is ideal - away from the car park an...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank igar75
co.durham
Reviewed 16 October 2011

have stayed at this hotel on a 21st birthday party a group of mixed ages , from the time we arrived the staff couldent have been more friendly or helpfull, the rooms were of a good size and very clean white cotton bed linen throughout all the bedrooms and plenty of good quality towels provided, i have stayed in higher rated hotels with out the service we were given.would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sharron09
DevonshireHouse, Administrator at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
We are delighted to read your review of your recent stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

stayed Fri/ Sun 30/9/11/- 2/10/11 the food , staff , and welcome was overwelming they all deserve a round of aplause !!! the hotel needs an update here an there but for what we paid it was well worth the money ! a great big thank you to you all x room 101 clean and comfortable water too hot lol !

Room Tip: there are some with better views than others but who wants to sit in the room when the gronds are so...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barrie1955
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your trip to Liverpool. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just got back from a weekend break to Liverpool and two nights stay at Devonshire House Hotel. Read previous reviews prior to travelling and was a bit wary but on arrival was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were clean and tidy, staff very friendly and food of a very high standard. The hotel is set in own grounds and is within easy walking distance to local amenities including McDonalds, Lidl, Off Licence as well as pubs. My mother and I had a lovely weekend and would like to thank all staff for making our stay a pleasant one. Will definately visit again. Many Thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view as our room looked out onto private grounds.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank helenhumphreys
What can I say but "Your Welcome" we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your trip to The Devonshire House Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My son and I shared a twin bedded room whilst working at conference in Liverpool. After making the booking I read several very negative reviews and was therefore somewhat cautious but what a lovely surprise. The room wasn't overly large but then this is reflected in the price and everything worked including endless really hot water. Breakfast was brilliant and the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. I would definitely recommend to others

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Joy W
A Massive Thank you from all of us here at The Devonshire House Hotel for your generous review. Your comments have brightened up our day! We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.