“Very poor room. Good restaurant staff.”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #71 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 20 February 2012

A groupon deal, which was very poor indeed.

Holes in the bedroom walls. Ancient double glazing which let in wind and draughts.Dirty carpets but the linen was clean.

Room Tip: No idea at all. The worst room we've ever stayed in !
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank southport76
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for leaving your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am genuinely sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme for bedrooms and corridors. I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding our windows, the carpets in bedrooms are cleaned weekly but as you must understand we can't clean all 54 in one go this is on going. I will be investigating the situation today and promise this will be rectified.

I am pleased your found our staff friendly and helpful

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed with my husband for a weekend away in Liverpool and had a fantastic stay :) the staff we're helpful and friendly and even let us leave them with our luggage after check out for us to go back into town :) the rooms were also comfy and warm and there is evidence all the public areas :) I would recommend this hotel to all :)

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Devonshire House Hotel Liverpool. It is a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your comments on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here over the weekend. Best I can say is that there was hot water, and the kettle worked. We had two rooms. Both were very jaded,and beds were VERY uncomfortable...looked under the (dirty) valance to find very old beds. Springs had gone, such that every time we turned over, the beds creaked noisily and were very, very uncomfortable...and in a twin room that's two people with creaky beds. Add to that the REALLY noisy lads/ladettes causing loads of noise, loud music and shouting, charging up and down between rooms and slamming doors THROUGHOUT the night ... Yes, still going at 6am, and didn't even stop when asked to by staff....We got hardly any sleep for two nights.
Bathrooms had loads of mildew, One sink was cracked, plug not on its chain, loo roll holder dirty inside (found that as it kept falling off).
Grim cold coffee and rubbery scrambled "eggs" (think probably egg powder variety) at breakfast.

Definitely won't be going back.

• Stayed: February 2012
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

The feedback you have given us regarding the noise you have experienced has been taken up with our night staff. The Devonshire House Hotel will always endeavour to act on behalf of guests if other clients disturb or are unsociable in their behaviour.

The condition of your room has also been addressed with our Head Housekeeper and maintenance team the beds have now been replaced with ones of better quality. However, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you at the time we did offer a 50% refund which we are grateful you accepted.

Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect but unfortunately on this occasion this proved to be very difficult due to the nature of the group that we had staying. All in all I can assure you that we have taken the necessary action to make sure this sort of service does not happen again. Any feed back received is circulated throughout the management team to allow them to share this with their teams and highlight any problem areas or issues that need attention. Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from the Devonshire. Once again please accept my sincere apologies. The Devonshire House Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We booked through experia as one of our friends had booked his birthday party at the venue so we decided to make a night of it Big mistake.
We booked in as normal and got changed to go to the party but when we left the room I checked the door was secure by giving it a gentle shove and to my surprise it sprung open so the door would not latch at all I decided to go down to reception only to be told that it was not the receptionists fault and that these things happen at hotels.
I asked for another room and he replied that the only available room was at the other side of the complex so i asked for assistance to move as we were now seriously late for the party at this point the general manager showed up and said he would take care of the move so we could go to the party we thanked him and made our way across the courtyard to the venue.
I was not sure about the move so after half an hour decided to check our new room I asked at reception for our new room number and room key to be told that everything had been moved and that the manager had been up to turn on the Tv I made my way to the room only to get there and find the door wide open and all of our stuff piled up on the floor in a neat pile just waiting for someone to walk in and help themselves.
At this time I seriously lost my temper as my wifes bag was left in full view and it containes our shop keys, car keys and 2 days shop takings
So I gathered our belongings and went back down to the reception to explain why I was so annoyed at there total disregard for our belongings and the blase' way we were treated the hotel staff especially the receptionist could not be bothered to even try to appease me simply offering a mumbled apology and not accepting any responsibility whatsoever.
The rooms themselves are of a poor quality and in desperate need of refurbishment with tiny double beds and outdated decor.
How this hotel has managed to get 3* rating is beyond me as the staff ,rooms,and security leave a lot to be desired
If you stay please be aware and check your room before you leave any valubles in there

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Biscuit267
DevonshireHouse, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We appreciate good and bad feedback, and as you can see by the many recent guest comments, we are maintaining our value for money accommodation and exceptional customer service. From our investigation into the facts of the incident , it appears that, indeed, mistakes were made from the hotel with regards to the faulty lock, The hotel conducted an investigation with all concerned and found that certain comments in your review are actually not correct.

It also appears that when the first door lock was found to be faulty we did move you to another room when you husband returned to the second room our porter was just leaving the room so no items were left unattended at anytime.

Unfortunately, we are not perfect, but we strive each and every day to provide the very best in customer service and quality accommodation to our guests. Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Firstly, I wasn't expecting too much of this hotel given the price I was paying for 2 twin rooms. The Reception experience very good with friendly helpful staff. Rooms were adequate, clean and spacious. Pillows were poor and only 1 available for each twin bed although I probably could have requested more. Beds were comfortable and clean. TV and coffee / tea making facilities all good. Good heating in rooms. Good, powerful shower above the bath. Safe, ample carparking. During the second night there was excessive noise from other rooms well into the early hours. This wasn't confined to one floor either. I didn't complain as I gained the impression that there had been a wedding celebration or similar but it was unreasonable. This though is more the fault of the guests than the hotel. Parts of the hotel and my room were a little tired but there was evidence of refurbishment. Overall, not bad for a gents City Break at a reasonable price and within walking distance of the city centre.

Room Tip: Check with reception if there is a large party that are likely to be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Dinger2330,

Firstly thank you for your comments regarding our reception team customer service is something we try very hard to achieve I will pass on your comments to all staff. Some of our rooms are a little tired and we are currently running an action plan to improve rooms and bathrooms on a monthly basis but we keep them clean and in great working order. I will speak to my housekeeper about the poor standard of the pillows and will have them replaced.

I am pleased you found the hotel good value for money and the staff will be thrilled with the feedback on their efforts.

The Devonshire House Hotel will always endeavour to act on behalf of guests if other clients disturb or are unsociable in their behaviour .

Should your travels bring you back to Liverpool, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Devonshire House Hotel.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Looks very grand in the pictures..doesnt look so special when you arrive.
Huge room with a tv in it the size of an Ipad.
Generally seemed clean but on closer inspection the grouting around the bath was black and while standing at the mirror in the morning i felt a drip of water only to look up & see the ceiling tile was mostly brown and wet and was dripping in. Not pleasant.
During the night we woke up sweltering, we thought we had turned the heating off but the radiator knob didnt work even though it had been turned off. We were so tired we just opened a window and went back to bed.
When i told the reception lady on check out she didnt apologise at all just said I should have told reception when i noticed. Customer Service is not her strong point and she should learn the word sorry. Each time she spoke to me she didnt await my response just put her head back down and stared at the diary on the desk. Quite rude.
At the end of the day the rooms should be checked before giving them to people. Who is going to move all there stuff & have upheaveal in the middle of the night for sake of a few hours?
All in all a bit of a let down.

Room Tip: Check your room on arrival. Check heating & for damp. Bit of a joke to say that you will need to...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Laura,

Thank you for expressing your opinion on your experience at the Devonshire House Hotel on Tripadvisor. Good and not so good entries are always discussed internally, with all concerned.

I really hope this experience has not deterred you from staying at the hotel in the future as it would be lovely to welcome you back and try and restore your faith in the services and products that we provide. Please contact me directly should you return and I will personally ensure you have a wonderful visit.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Ok so this hotel is perhaps a little dated, although I hear they are soon to be updating. My husband and I have just spent a wonderful weekend at this hotel, great friendly staff who are always there if you need anything. Our room was clean and there were fresh towels each day. It was a great base for us in order to explore Liverpool and only a short drive by taxi into Liverpool centre, and a 30 minute walk for the more energetic (yes we did walk and it was lovely). Would we stay at the Devonshire again - ABSOLUTELY! The Bickleys (Staffordshire)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I am pleased to hear that we met your expectations. I will pass on the positive comments onto the team. We have an on going refurbishment programme of the hotel this year. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.