New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Devonshire House Hotel

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #71 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Stayed at the Devonshire House for the Wedding Fayre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed at the Devonshire House as had a stand at the UK Wedding show which was held at the at the Hotel.

Staff were fantastic and nothing was to much trouble for them. The bedrooms were clean and warm and a credit to the staff who clean them. We could see that the hotel is being painted which will make it even better.

The hotel offers exellent value for money with breakfast only £6.00 for a Full English.

Overall the hotel is in a fantastic location for Liverpool City Centre only 5 minutes in a taxi to Town.

Keep up the good work

PK

Room Tip: Don't be put off by some of the reviews on here the hotel is exellent value for money with fanta...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul K
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for leaving your wonderful feedback about the Devonshire House Hotel Liverpool on Tripadvisor.

I am extremely delighted you found us great value, clean, comfortable and convenient accommodation.

We hope to welcome you back to stay in the near future.

Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel is in a quiet area just outside the town centre and has free parking. A taxi to the docks area cost us £5.40 with a taxi firm the receptionist called for us. The hotel seems to have been renovated in places, but not in others! The carpets are very worn. The staff aren't unfriendly by any means, but they aren't very helpful either. Our breakfast was included in the price, but can safely say I would not have paid for it if it had not been.....there was very limited choice and our toast was black! Tea was available, but no coffee. On the plus side, our room was really large, bright and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the linen was spotless. The bathroom was also very clean and had a fantastic powerful shower. This hotel is ok for one or two nights but would avoid the breakfast.

1 Thank pswpaula
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your recent review of the Devonshire House Hotel Liverpool.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and I was disappointed with your comment regarding our staff Please let me express my sincere apologies as this is not the image we would want to portray of the hotel, rest assured I will be looking into this matter.

Further to your feedback regarding our Breakfast selection, Re-training will be carried out with all staff to ensure our breakfast buffet is fully stocked at all times.

I am extremely delighted you found your bedroom to be clean and comfortable.

As part of our on going refurbishment the carpets are being replaced in the corridors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was a bit dubious returning to this hotel after a few years after reading the reviews. I can honestly stay yet again thumbs up to this hotel and to all the staff who made our stay so lovely. The bedroom me and my husband were given was spotless . We had evening meal off the new menu and it was delicious. The breakfast again was fantastic along with the breakfast staff. I cant see how some of the negative reviews on this website are true. I would definately definately come back to this hotel on my next trip to liverpool

3 Thank Rach624
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

A groupon deal, which was very poor indeed.

Holes in the bedroom walls. Ancient double glazing which let in wind and draughts.Dirty carpets but the linen was clean.

Room Tip: No idea at all. The worst room we've ever stayed in !
2 Thank southport76
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for leaving your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am genuinely sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme for bedrooms and corridors. I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding our windows, the carpets in bedrooms are cleaned weekly but as you must understand we can't clean all 54 in one go this is on going. I will be investigating the situation today and promise this will be rectified.

I am pleased your found our staff friendly and helpful

I really hope this experience has not deterred you from staying at the hotel in the future as it would be lovely to welcome you back and try and restore your faith in the services and products that we provide.

Warmest Regards

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed with my husband for a weekend away in Liverpool and had a fantastic stay :) the staff we're helpful and friendly and even let us leave them with our luggage after check out for us to go back into town :) the rooms were also comfy and warm and there is evidence all the public areas :) I would recommend this hotel to all :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Devonshire House Hotel Liverpool. It is a pleasure to hear how you enjoyed your visit and I thank you for your comments on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards
Suffolk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here over the weekend. Best I can say is that there was hot water, and the kettle worked. We had two rooms. Both were very jaded,and beds were VERY uncomfortable...looked under the (dirty) valance to find very old beds. Springs had gone, such that every time we turned over, the beds creaked noisily and were very, very uncomfortable...and in a twin room that's two people with creaky beds. Add to that the REALLY noisy lads/ladettes causing loads of noise, loud music and shouting, charging up and down between rooms and slamming doors THROUGHOUT the night ... Yes, still going at 6am, and didn't even stop when asked to by staff....We got hardly any sleep for two nights.
Bathrooms had loads of mildew, One sink was cracked, plug not on its chain, loo roll holder dirty inside (found that as it kept falling off).
Grim cold coffee and rubbery scrambled "eggs" (think probably egg powder variety) at breakfast.

Definitely won't be going back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
DevonshireHouse, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012

The feedback you have given us regarding the noise you have experienced has been taken up with our night staff. The Devonshire House Hotel will always endeavour to act on behalf of guests if other clients disturb or are unsociable in their behaviour.

The condition of your room has also been addressed with our Head Housekeeper and maintenance team the beds have now been replaced with ones of better quality. However, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you at the time we did offer a 50% refund which we are grateful you accepted.

Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect but unfortunately on this occasion this proved to be very difficult due to the nature of the group that we had staying. All in all I can assure you that we have taken the necessary action to make sure this sort of service does not happen again. Any feed back received is circulated throughout the management team to allow them to share this with their teams and highlight any problem areas or issues that need attention. Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again, as we would like the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from the Devonshire. Once again please accept my sincere apologies. The Devonshire House Hotel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

We booked through experia as one of our friends had booked his birthday party at the venue so we decided to make a night of it Big mistake.
We booked in as normal and got changed to go to the party but when we left the room I checked the door was secure by giving it a gentle shove and to my surprise it sprung open so the door would not latch at all I decided to go down to reception only to be told that it was not the receptionists fault and that these things happen at hotels.
I asked for another room and he replied that the only available room was at the other side of the complex so i asked for assistance to move as we were now seriously late for the party at this point the general manager showed up and said he would take care of the move so we could go to the party we thanked him and made our way across the courtyard to the venue.
I was not sure about the move so after half an hour decided to check our new room I asked at reception for our new room number and room key to be told that everything had been moved and that the manager had been up to turn on the Tv I made my way to the room only to get there and find the door wide open and all of our stuff piled up on the floor in a neat pile just waiting for someone to walk in and help themselves.
At this time I seriously lost my temper as my wifes bag was left in full view and it containes our shop keys, car keys and 2 days shop takings
So I gathered our belongings and went back down to the reception to explain why I was so annoyed at there total disregard for our belongings and the blase' way we were treated the hotel staff especially the receptionist could not be bothered to even try to appease me simply offering a mumbled apology and not accepting any responsibility whatsoever.
The rooms themselves are of a poor quality and in desperate need of refurbishment with tiny double beds and outdated decor.
How this hotel has managed to get 3* rating is beyond me as the staff ,rooms,and security leave a lot to be desired
If you stay please be aware and check your room before you leave any valubles in there

2 Thank Biscuit267
DevonshireHouse, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We appreciate good and bad feedback, and as you can see by the many recent guest comments, we are maintaining our value for money accommodation and exceptional customer service. From our investigation into the facts of the incident , it appears that, indeed, mistakes were made from the hotel with regards to the faulty lock, The hotel conducted an investigation with all concerned and found that certain comments in your review are actually not correct.

It also appears that when the first door lock was found to be faulty we did move you to another room when you husband returned to the second room our porter was just leaving the room so no items were left unattended at anytime.

Unfortunately, we are not perfect, but we strive each and every day to provide the very best in customer service and quality accommodation to our guests. Best Regards,