“EXCELLENT WEEKEND”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night whilst attending a concert in central Liverpool. Very apprehensive about our stay because of the very cheap price through laterooms.com. Although the hotel is a little 'tired' and could do with some fresh decoration we should not have worried. The room was perfect! Spacious, clean, comfy, cosy bed and lovely sofa. Breakfast was large, varied and tasty and most of all, we would like to say thanks to Kanga and her colleagues on the staff for their wonderful hospitality, care and friendliness. Nothing was too much for them.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarieSloan
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following on from you recent stay, I am so pleased to read your positive comments,

Our team do work hard to provide a 'home from home' experience and I know they will be delighted to read your feedback.I have passed on you kind comments to Kinga,

Once again many thanks, we do hope you will return to Liverpool on a future occasion.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have stayed in Liverpool many times before and have always stayed city centre but on this occasion, the central hotels were either fully booked or out of our price range. I was apprehensive after reading the mixed reviews on here but need not have worried. Our room was clean, bright and airy with a good sized bathroom. Plentiful free car parking with bus stop within couple of minutes walk. Taxi back from city centre (early hours) cost about £7. Reception staff friendly and helpful on check in. Bonus for us was that my husband left a small item behind which could easily have been thrown away as worthless. However, as soon as I realised (about 3 hours after checking out) I rang the hotel to ask if it had been found. After a couple more phone calls back and forth, item was located and sent to me in post. All staff members I dealt with were exceptionally understanding when I explained that this was of sentimental value and meant a lot to my husband. One gentleman (sorry I didn't take down name) even rang me to assure me that he was going to put it in the post himself on his way home from his shift. Now that's what I call customer service. Thanks so much to you all for your help.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your recent stay, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool and indeed our hotel.

It is great that our team made you feel welcome we do pride ourselves on our customer service and its great to see that your comment reflect this - please do come back and see us again soon!

Once again thank you for your kind review and we hope to welcome you on another travel occasion.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My friend and I booked this Hotel on booking.com. It was a prepaid booking as it seemed like a good deal. Having read the reviews I was a little apprehensive and contacted the Hotel before we arrived requesting a refurbished room which we were promised. On arrival we were given room 303 (which was refurbished)!!!!! The valance on the bed was dirty, the side tables were falling apart and although the bathroom was clean the shower door was coming away and we couldn't put the hot water tap off. The Hotel needed a complete overhaul....it is also out of the way, a good 25 minute walk into Liverpool but 10 minutes on the bus. The highlight of the weekend was going on the Ferry across the mersey....I could slate the Hotel until the cows come home but the food was pretty good. We only ate there one evening and I must say although the dining room needed a refurb the evening meal was lovely. We would not go back to this Hotel. One plus the staff were really nice...If you want a drink at the bar you will find the staff at the back of the Hotel having a smoke!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan G

Dear Guest,,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

In a nutshell, it was the worst place I've stayed.
We had no heating.
we had no hot water.
A mouldy bathroom.
Blood stained drawers.
Chewing gum trodden into the carpet.
Unhelpful reception staff.
Dodgy electrics.
Due to all of the above our weekend was ruined.
We did get a full refund, however.... As mentioned, ruined the stay in Liverpool.... And due to the lack of heat/hot water, meant we were unable to shower prior to our evening out. We were offered electric heaters, however, these could not be left on throughout the night. The refund was not enough, I felt compensation was needed.....

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank LauraRobinson1985
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at the hotel.

I am very sorry that you encountered poor housekeeping during you stay and we appreciate the time you have taken to forward your comments regarding the cleanliness and maintanance of your guest bedroom.

I have taken your feedback very seriously as this is certainly not the way our team members have been trained. We have also implemented new procedures and further training.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights since it offered free car parking and an excellent local bus service into the city centre.
The colourful well attended gardens and spacious, bright reception area were a pleasing welcome.
Our quiet room on the 3rd floor, which overlooked a park, was basic, but clean and roomy. A hanging rail instead of a wardrobe didn't present a problem and drawer space was better than I have experienced in more expensive hotels.
The shower was simple to operate and hot water plentiful.
Our week was cold and wet but heating was turned on soon after our request.
The staff in all areas were cheerful. helpful and took an interest in our excursions.
On request variations to the breakfast were accepted eg. poached, fried egg. Four cereals were on offer as well as muslie and grapefruit.
I read in bed so no bed-light was annoying. A teapot per table, with hot water and milk would have been a bonus.
We felt this hotel gave excellent value for the price paid and would certainly stay again for a city break.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us on your recent trip to Liverpool

I am pleased that you found our location to be suitable for your needs.

We are delighted to be able to offer our guests a varied breakfast and I am pleased that you enjoyed our offering.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Liverpool

Reviewed 3 June 2013

When we arrived we drove round the back of the hotel in error and what a shock - a broken buggy and rubbish piled up, the hotel looked like it had been forgotten. What was in store inside for us........? Luckily we realised we were at the wrong side (new sign posts needed!!) so moved the car to the front where the gardens were lovely, the hotel looked more presentable and a wedding party were having photos taken.
We booked in and were allocated our room on the second floor. one of the windows was broken on the hinge side so wouldn't close which meant a draft blowing through, luckily the heating could be turned up! The room was basic but clean, not many hangers but as we were only staying one night this was not a problem for us. Nice touch having the shower get/shampoo provided. We had a quiet night - no guests roaming round!
Went down to breakfast, it was only when we asked if we could sit anywhere that a waitress said she needed our room number. A member of staff said they were used to people just coming in and knowing what to do! The choice of cereal wasn't great and when we went for our 'full english' it was like being in school. Eggs - scrambled, no choice, weren't asked how much of anything just 'bacon?' 'hash brown'? etc.
Unlike one reviewer the toast wasn't taken to anybody's table, it was placed in a basket next to the hot food, a maximum of four slices at once, hence it was all taken quickly and guests were continually up and down from their tables trying to get some. We were fine as were RIGHT next to the serving table and the toast!
Would I stay here again? Probably not, it was £40 for two of us, we could have stayed in the Premier Inn for £25 per room and been as comfy, then had a breakfast in town!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tricia W
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us recently..

However, I am sorry that your guest room was less than perfect on arrival. Our Housekeeping team have been given visibility of your feedback to ensure that there is no recurrence and I hope that you accept my apologies.

I am surprised to read your comment relating to breakfast as various types of eggs are always available.

I am sorry to read that you not choose to stay with us again, however I do hope that you have a change of heart and allow us to demonstrate our normally high level of service.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights.While agree with previous reviews in regard to the rooms being basic; our room had no wardrobe, just a hanging rail, I feel that the attitude of the stadff and the cleanliness of the hotel more than compensated for this. Breakfast is buffett style, but food is set out in limited quantaties so regularly refreshed. We were offered freshly cooked fried eggs on oth mornings and had fresh toast brought to our table. Nothing was too much trouble for the dinning room staff. The hotel has a large car park, for which there was no additional charge. The reception staf were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is about a £5 taxi ride from the city centre, so this to us, seemed a good location.
We would not hesitate to stay here again,maybe not the place for a relaxing 'hotel based' break, but as the base for a weekend of shopping and nights out, it is ideal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Guest

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome and that every single team member that you encountered throughout your stay was efficient.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed everything about your stay and we truly do look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you visit Liverpool again.