“Vey poor”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Nothing good to say apart from nice garden and bar & reception staff when not out for a smoke ! This hotel seems fit for work meeting not pleasure stays. The breakfast was the worst we have ever had, slopped on the plate slopped on the table crispy fried eggs that were solid yolks couldn't even cut they had to be torn apart ! We felt in the way not customers

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GlutenfreePaul
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feeback. It's extremely disappointing that we failed you. I assure you that each of your concerns will be addressed immediately.

Although we have likely lost you as a future guest, we're offering our sincerest apologies. Rest assured that we will do everything possible to insure that no future guest has a similar experience. Thank you again for your feedback

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My sister kindly booked this stay for mine and my wifes birthdays back in February, she was kidded by the fancy looking gardens I think. We stayed for 2 nights in an absolutely FILTHY, DISGUSTING room with an inch of dust under the furniture, but to be fair, probably only about 3/4 of an inch where you could see! Looked at another room which was just as bad. We complained to reception staff who were so disinterested it was laughable. We then complained in writing and foolishly accepted a free 2 night stay as compensation, We wrongly thought they may have bought some dusters in the meantime, but, alas no. Free was STILL TOO MUCH TO PAY!! What a hell-hole of a place! Seriously, DO NOT GO!!!
*FILTHY ROOMS
*THREADBARE, CURLING CARPETS
*SHARP BROKEN TILES
*BROKEN SANITARYWARE
*STENCH IN BATHROOM CONSTANTLY
*BED HAD CASTERS MISSING SO NOT LEVEL
*BED HAD STAPLES STICKING OUT CAUSING MY WIFE TO GASH HER LEG OPEN! (Look out for her blood if you stay in room 301, I guarantee it will still be there!!)
*BAR CHARGED TOP PRICE FOR LIDL WINE & COLA (Yuk)
*LEATHER SETTEE IN BAR PROPPED UP WITH A HOUSE BRICK
*PEELING '50'S WALLPAPER
*GREASY HEAD MARKS ON HEADBOARDS
*UNIDENTIFIED HUMAN BODILY FLUIDS ON WALLS & WINDOW SILLS
*BOTTLE TOPS, COAT HANGERS AND USED COTTON BUDS UNDER BEDS
*STAINED CEILINGS
*NO PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE (Surely a legal requirement)

PLEASE PLEASE believe this review, I never feel the need to write reviews normally but I just had to for this place for the sake of the rest of mankind!!
There are at least 2 excellent Premier Inns in Liverpool plus many, many other decent, clean hotels to stay in. DO NOT stay in this one, I guarantee you will be disgusted!!
As I said, the gardens are lovely, with the benefit of hindsight, we should have curled up in one of the flower beds, they would definitely have been cleaner than the rooms!!!

DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

To the owners of this dump, either sort this place out or close for everyones benefit!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Simon N
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We went here for our anniversary for a few days and had a lovely time. Beautiful grounds and food was excellent. Very relaxed and quiet whilst we were there which was nice. Thank you to all the staff for their help and for making it a lovely trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MH1974, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following on from your recent stay, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool and indeed our hotel.

It is great that our team made you feel welcome we do pride ourselves on our customer service and its great to see that your comment reflect this and also you enjoyed your time in our restaurant - please do come back and see us again soon!

Once again thank you for your kind review and we hope to welcome you on another travel occasion.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 July 2013

appearance of this hotel is quite nice, and the reception area is clean and tidy. On checking in and out of the hotel the receptionists were outside having a cigarette - not a good look. the room was comfortable and again clean and tidy. I wouldn't go in the restaurant as some of the staff give the impression they would rather be elsewhere (we're all the same at work) but when you're in a customer facing environment you should at least smile from time to time. Oh, and my food was very well done, which I was given free but I would still rather have had a meal I could eat.

Room Tip: if you are travelling into town by taxi the hotel does have a good service. however, if you are thi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda O
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Guest,,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

The condition of the grounds masks the state of the inside. The grounds were beautiful, The Foyer was clean and tidy but the room was VERY basic and more suitable for DSS than tourists. Carpet had seen better days. No curtains, just old roller blinds. Only 1 bedside cabinet for the double bed. I won't go into too much detail of the state of the false ceiling. Too many stains on it and the walls. This type of ceiling is usually seen in old office blocks and is well past it's sell by date. This hotel is in need of a lot of TLC to make it on par with other hotels in Liverpool. Using cheap deals to get customers but only delivering cheap product, is not the best way to attract repeat business

Room Tip: Give it a miss !!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Freebiepete
MH1974, Guest Relations Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for you feedback and please note we do take all feedback positive or negative seriously and will look in to what went wrong during your stay!

I am sorry you were only afforded a basic room during your stay and it doesn't sound as if it was one of our best. As the hotel is such an old building our rooms to vary in quality and size. If it was a quiet period when you stayed and not weekend when rates are sold at a premium of £80.00 -£140.00 room only per night we may have been possible to upgrade you complimentary.

The KGB Voucher is still excellent value for money at £99.00 for 2 night with Dinner on the 1st night which is not restricted to midweek dates

I am sure if better rooms were available and I wish you had mentioned this at the time and we would have gladly changed your room if we had one available .

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Hotel reception staff very accommodating as were all the staff from bar, dining room and house keeper.
The hotel is tired and definitely needs an update, bed was uncomfortable as mattress was not o good quality.
Plenty of hot water and the shower was probably the best part of bedroom.
Breakfast was very good and if you wanted freshly cooked eggs they were readily available, no complaints there, evening meal was a debacle as food that was on the KGB menu was not available, had fish and chips but was considerably overcooked and greasy.
Would I go there again? NO
Wish I had gone to the Feathers which is a Best Western that was also on offer, went there for a pint to sus it out and it is in a different league.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank geoffwales
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Further to your recent stay at the Devonshire House Hotel Liverpool, and also your review .

May I thank you for your time in making this review as without reviews from our customers we are unable to maintain, or improve our services to our guests.

On behalf of the Management and staff we hope to see you again soon at The Devonshire House Hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I booked here for 2 nights whilst attending a conference - exhibition at Liverpool university
My main reason for booking here was parking free internet and the fact a restaurant and bar were on site.

I have to be honest i did have some issues with my room but after contacting reception i was promptly moved to a lovely newly decorated room with fresh crisp new bedding.

I ate in the restaurant on 4 occasions 2 breakfasts and 2 evening meals and found the food to be of very good quality and exceptionally good value for money.
The restaurant staff bar staff reception staff and even the cleaners are a credit to the Hotel everyone was friendly and efficient and did there utmost to make me feel welcome.

I spent quite a bit of time chatting to Dave the Hotel Owner a real nice genuine guy whose personality has obviously rubbed off on everyone who works at the Hotel.

Most people here have commented on the fact that much of the Hotel could do with freshening up i agree that some areas are looking a little tired but this reflects in the price I can stay 2 night here with breakfast for little more than it would cost for 1 night in a premier inn without breakfast.
In addition the Hotel was pretty much full and a great deal of the people staying were repeat customers so that in itself must say something.
I will definitely be staying here on my next overnight in Liverpool.

Thanks Dave and all of the staff for your hospitality

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Mickholliday

Thank you for spending 2 days with us. it was our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our facilities and service to be excellent.

I am delighted that you found the team members in all areas of the hotel to be welcoming and accommodating and that looked after you during your stay.

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Liverpool.

Best wishes