“Two weeks in there (two trips) and a really bad experience”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #70 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Madrid, Spain
“Two weeks in there (two trips) and a really bad experience”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The house keeping service didn't make the room one day and others only stretched the sheets. I went to talk reception that night and the ma'am told me that she was there "only for security reasons". No solution to the problem and really bad rude way. They force you to pay when you checked-in (even when they have your card as guarantee), but they won't give you the bill until the check-out. Not wi-fi in the room. They don't accept AMEX card. Two bulbs burn out in my room. A really bad experience at Devonshire House Hotel.
Breakfast too expensive for what they give it to you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience during your stay. I am sorry that your stay with us did not wow you and your comments have been shared and addressed with the relevant head of department to ensure we do not receive any similar feedback.

I am disappointed that you encountered less than perfect service as our team members are fully trained to offer a high quality service and I am very sorry that you did not encountered this during your stay. All relevant team members have been given visibility of your comments to ensure that there is no repeat.

I do hope that you are able to reconsider visiting us in the future.

Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Newtown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I'll write my conclusion first so that people who want to read my detailed review can then carry on. In a nutshell, I didn't see any evidence of damp, broken furniture or uncleanliness and I feel previous reviews are very unfair. Why don't people leave good reviews? I suspect because they enjoy moaning!

Pros: cheap, comfortable bed, spacious room, warm, clean, tidy, lots of storage, no noise, decent breakfast.

Cons: Staff are sometimes a bit dour and abrupt, poor instructions and signs to find our room.

Basically:
if you're a snob don't stay here.

If you're on a budget but still expect The Ritz for £35 a night, don't stay here.

If you want a nice warm bed, TV, shower/bath and breakfast that you'd get at a greasy spoon for a good price - stay here.

I've stayed at ibis budget etc, paid way more and got much less. Also, the building and gardens have character and are much more interesting to look at.

Full Review
I stayed at this hotel with my wife on New Year's day as we had travelled to watch a football match in the city. We had booked the hotel due to the price (£35 for the night) and its proximity to Liverpool city centre. We then became worried after clicking on here and reading several bad reviews. So, what a lovely surprise it was to be greeted by such a nice hotel with real character.

Firstly, we arrived in the morning too early to book in as we had a hospitality day booked at Anfield but the staff were happy for us to leave our car (free) in the car park whilst we went. We caught a bus from nearby Prescot Road (5min walk).

When we got back, check-in was quick although directions to the room were a little sketchy and there was a lack of signage to help us. After a bit of exploring and trying our luck with what seemed to be a random white fire door we found our room (402).

The room itself was spacious with a nice view of the surrounding gardens, everything was very clean and tidy (fresh soap, new toilet rolls, spare pillows, tea and coffee etc) and the TV was a lovely, big, slim Samsung - great to watch the new epsiode of Sherlock! In response to previous reviews, it was also lovely and warm, despite the weather outside being completely miserable!

We had a great night's sleep and in the morning we headed down for our breakfast which we were advised would be £6 each. For that we had a choice of Sausage, scrambled egg, chopped tomatoes, beans and hash browns. There was also a choice of cereals, toast and yoghurts as well as tea/coffee/fruit juice. The breakfast tasted perfectly good to me, it wasn't michelin star stuff but then you get what you pay for. Further to this, when we checked out, we were told that as a new year deal our breakfast was actually FREE! (my favourite!).

So, all in all, we really enjoyed our stay and saw none of the problems mentioned previously. The reason I decided to write this review is because it seemed so unbalanced and unfair that there are so many negative reviews for what seems like a great, cheap hotel. Things like "knives and forks look like they were from the pound shop" - Who Cares?! Did it chop your food up? Wasn't the hotel only £35? What did you expect? They have to make a profit somehow.

I would definately stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dean T
MH1974, Front Office Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during you visit to Liverpool

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I can assure you that all of the team members will be made aware of your comments as they serve as a great motivator.

Our team work hard to deliver high standards of hospitality at all time and I am pleased that on this occasion there was no exception.

We look forward to your return visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights for a friends wedding.

The room was tiny, the radiator was broken - permanently stuck on boiling hot, the décor was dated and the hotel smelt a bit funny. The bed was tiny and incredibly uncomfortable.
Positives - The breakfast was pleasant and the wedding reception was stunning.

I thought this hotel was a little overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaurenSuzanne
MH1974, Guest Relations Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review.

I am very sorry that you had an issue with your room during your stay due to various issues. I can assure you that our Housekeeping and Facilities teams have been given visibility of your feedback to ensure that this does not happen again. I am very sorry that we failed you on this occasion.

I am delighted that you found our wedding facilities to be stunning and that you enjoyed the food served to you during breakfast.

Warmest Regards.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here friday 27 dec to 29 dec 2013, Lovely Building, huge room, lovely, clean bed , very uncomfortable, went to the restaurant but left after being sat for a good 10 mins, lovely, lovely staff, very polite,every thing just so cheap and tacky, knife and folks looked like from a £1 shop, menu printed on just A4 size paper and was so boring we left.Bedroom was massive, blinds in stead of curtains, which made it look like a office, very cheap furniture, wardrobe was very wobbly , so did not shut the doors as i had done earlier because when i open the doors the wardrobe nearly toppled over, tops of drawers all stained, very old, windows had bits of sticky white tape peeling off to stop the drafts. Bathroom was nice and clean with a big whirlpool bath, which did not work, and our room was an executive room, I dread to think what the normal rooms looked like.

Room Tip: there is so many Bargains around look around before deciding, i would stay at this hotel again if th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. We are sorry for letting you down on some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just returned from a night at this hotel - if it wasn't for the fact we were going to a function there and I had prepaid for the room I would have left on arrival. It was seriously one of the worst places I have ever stayed - think Youth Hostel but worse. We went to the residents bar for a drink - this was cold, dirty and dated back to the 1970's with very unfriendly staff. The room was cold and untidy and overlooked the rubbish in the yard - we were woken in the morning to seagulls ripping the bags apart. Went to the bathroom only to find that the taps didn't work in the bath which meant neither a shower or bath - luckily it was a short drive from home and we couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: I was born in Liverpool and it is beautiful city with lots to see and do and many great hotels - th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. However, I am extremely concerned by the issues you have raised, particularly the bedroom and maintenance issues I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the impact that these issues had on your stay.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Free and plenty parking.
Nice garden.
Near to city cente.
Quiet and calm.
Spacious quadraple room for £60 per nite.
They had long bath.
Value for £££.Highly recommended.Friendly staff.
Only-no wardrobe.just hanging rack.no fridge.socket too high for charging.but despite all these,we had a nice stay!!!Cheers!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank SerembanDzu
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Devonshire House Hotel whilst visiting Liverpool.

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. I will make sure your comments are passed on to the entire team here.

We look forward to your next visit

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the weekend before Christmas and had a good deal which included breakfast and dinner.

The hotel is set in a decent location if you are spending the weekend in Liverpool and are planning to catch a game. It's halfway between Anfield and the city centre.

The hotel has a nice facade and the communal areas are decent for a 3* hotel, although the bar was a bit smelly. The hotel does not appear to have been modernised much in the last quarter century.

The concierge was professional and checked us in speedily but we couldn't help thinking she was in a hurry.

The room key was quite difficult to use, but the room was spacious and had ample furniture. There were a few broken items in the room such as the soap dispenser, and we found leftover items from the previous guests. The bed was comfortable but the walls and floors are very thin. We could hear guests next door and above us, even if they weren't being particularly loud.

The breakfast was decent if not spectacular. The dinner was plentiful and a decent quality.

Staff did their jobs but nothing more. We got the impression they weren't busy but were somewhat preoccupied. They weren't rude, but then they weren't friendly. They just did their jobs when they had to and the rest of the time it felt like they were socialising. Not a bad thing, it meant that they were clearly happy in their work and the management was sound. It just meant that they came across as being a bit casual.

Do not use the taxi company that the hotel recommend. You will see their cards at the front desk, and their advert in the guest book in your hotel room. I booked a taxi at 1130 to collect us at 1200 for a 1245 kick off at Anfield. The taxi not only failed to arrive on time but when it did arrive at 1235 resulted in us missing the start of the game. Not only were the staff flippant about it (trying to argue with me that kick-off was at 1300) but they also tried to pacify me by telling me at 1220 that I was "top of the queue" and that "the first taxi available would be mine". As it happened one of their taxis was filling up at the gas station next to our hotel and drove off afterwards, so this was dishonest.

All in all a decent stay but the hotel must be seen in the context of being a 3*, and so the rating given is equated with our expectations of other 3* hotels. Would stay here again as it did serve a purpose.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel. We welcome all feedback from our guests to enable us to make future improvements to our services.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.