“KGB Deal- fair nuff”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #71 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was having kittens finding this place- it is not well signed from the road until you are virtually on top of it. However, lovely gardens & exterior. The reception staff were pleasant enough, and the interior clean if a little shabby- decor stuck in a time warp. Why oh why must people put those hideous artificial flowers in dining rooms? They attract dust & look so sad.
We had room 404. The wardrobe door didn't shut properly, taps askew in the wash basin, no jacuzzi working in the bath. Little things a tad irritating, like not being given two more plastic tumblers on our second day- they can't be that expensive, surely! However, clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable.
Dinner on the first night was a depressing experience. My partner had tomato soup which had unexplained mixed veg floating in it, almost as though the contents of two tins had been mixed together. The batter on his fish was so hard it required considerable violence to get to the fish.
My starter was battered garlic mushrooms. Quite the nastiest food I had eaten (or half eaten) for a long time. The coating was rock hard; when broken open, the mushrooms oozed an evil watery grey liquid which totally put me off. The accompanying salad had lost the will to live & was brown & curled. My chicken had obviously been cooked beforehand & heated up, so tasted dry & tired.
Breakfast the next morning was ok, but tinned tomatoes, greasy fried bread & stewed tea & coffee left something to be desired.
I would say it was ok for a KGB deal, but would never pay full price for this hotel.

2  Thank lizthesam
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Guest,,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in December 2013. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly, polite and helpful receptionist. Unfortunately, the following morning we could not use the shower as we were unable to regulate the temperature of the water. In fact the water was 'scalding'! We also found that hot water was coming out from both the hot and cold taps. We mentioned these problems to the receptionist on our way down to breakfast and within five minutes we were allocated another room. Breakfast was very good and quite adequate for our needs. We had a drink in the hotel bar on both evenings and found the staff very friendly and helpful. We would certainly stay at this hotel in the future possibly during the summer months when we could take advantage of their beautiful garden.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn O

Dear Guest

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us recently, it was a pleasure to have your with us.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the hospitality of the team throughout the hotel.

We are sorry you had a problem with your shower and that we were able to offer you an alternative room.

The team at Devonshire House Hotel are delighted to be able to offer you a warm and friendly service and we hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed for one night. The staff were excellent. Booking in took a few minutes and the receptionist was polite and helpful. The room was spot less and lovely and warm which was good because outside it was cold and windy. The restaurant was very good The staff on duty at breakfast were a bit over zealous in clearing the table. The food was excellent. We will use this hotel again

Room Tip: Look for hotels that are set back from the road. It does not matter then if the traffic is busy you...
1  Thank Martin H
MH1974, Revenue Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Martin,

We are delighted that you have chosen to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community, clearly we have ticked many boxes for you, the team will be pleased that their hard work and commitment to great customer service has been recognised.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

What a disgrace, defo faulty towers. The staff.......well what can I say, nothing should be too much trouble but this is not the case, the staff are rude, very unhelpful, bad attitude and don't want to do their job. When we arrived the receptionist was not polite, very rude unhelpful and not welcoming at all. Bar staff or should I say person, very unhelpful, not interested and seemed like she didn't want to be there. Reception staff at night not helpful and rude. Breakfast staff rude, unhelpful and clearly didn't want to serve breakfast upto 10am as stated because they just wanted to clean up and go home. To tell paying customers at 9.40 there was no more beans, then tomatoes how can you have a cooked breakfast without beans??? then for the customers to be too worried to ask for more tea is a disgrace. your staff need to learn customer service, and paying customers should get the breakfast they have paid for within the times you set out, not to say oh there is nothing left at 9.40 and not cook anything else. what a disgrace and as for your staff walking threw the breakfast room with a head full of rollers how unprofessional. Is this hotel letting the staff run it and not the manager?? now for the room £96 (£114 with breakfast) there was no cold water as both taps just ran hot water, toilet was leaking all over the floor, single bed uncomfortable the mattress was that thin and warn, constant noise of the doors and people coming in all night no sleep for any of us, cups in the room stuck to the plate :( hotel information says sandwiches served 11am til 11pm we rang and asked at 10.40pm and we was told there is nothing everything is locked up and when we complained to say it states 11pm in the info we was offered tuna as that was all they had. This is not acceptable and not what you have offered. This hotel was mis-sold and not as it is described. The receptionist stated she had worked there 14 years knows all about the noise at night as she has worked nights and was unaware of what a complaint procedure is????? waiting the manager to ring, which has not happened yet. I would say the bedding was clean and if you want a cheap room and no comforts and customer service you will be ok. but we defo didn't get what we paid for and would not recommend to anyone. The picture of the outside and gardens is nothing like the place, lots of run down burnt out places around.

Room Tip: no good rooms, no good views from what we seen
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bonzo20002013
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I only stayed one night as a quick overnight stay. Room 303

The Gardens where very nice, I can see why they have weddings there Looked to have a decent business centre too.
I found the Staff to be very good and friendly.

I booked a single room and was given a room with a double bed plus a single bed so plenty of space for myself, I couldn't sleep in the double as it was uncomfortable and squeaky ever time I moved in it, So slept in the single which was perfect comfortable and quiet The room was good enough, The hotel was very quiet, a reason why I was given a bigger room? which was very Welcome. I went for Breakfast and there was only me there at the time (8.00am) and The breakfast was very nice.

It was near perfect for me, but If I was with my Fiancee I think the Double bed would have been an issue, perhaps if I had been with another we would have been given another room

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
MH1974, Director of Sales at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel, I am delighted that your stay with us was such a pleasant one. I'll make sure to pass your comments on to all the team here.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night to attend a family party close by. The room was a good size,clean and very warm. You could not adjust the radiator and it was difficult to work out how to operate the shower and television. We only paid £50 for the room and an additional £12 for breakfast for the two of us. In some areas the hotel smelled like a nursing home and it needed a good hoovering. There were many signs of wear and tear and the decor was in definite need of updating. We were told at breakfast to help ourselves to the food on offer but there was at least one and sometimes two people serving the hot food from a small serving area. It was quite intimidating and not self service at all. However the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Overall the hotel is probably decent value for money but it needs a thorough makeover and a lot of money spending on it. It is well placed for the city and costs less than city centre hotels but all in all if you are going into the city the taxi fare would be better spent on a city hotel.

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us at the Devonshire House Hotel,

I would however like to thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback as I will personally review each of your points with the management team, and take corrective measures to insure the consistent delivery of service standards.

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Ok please dont book this place and expect 5* cause it aint, I paid £38.50 for 1 night inc breakfast and it was ok. It was a bed for the night whilst away from home with work. My room was red hot and I couldn't turn radiators down but a call to reception and it was sorted by the time I came back to hotel after eating out. Friendly staff, good location for city and very reasonably priced.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Squawking44

Dear Reviewer,

Firstly thanks for choosing to stay with us at the Devonshire House Hotel and secondly for sharing your feedback, the team will be very pleased to note that they were mentioned as being “ friendly”.

We look forward to seeing you again soon