“Excellent Function Venue”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #71 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I write about the Devonshire House Hotel to show my overwhelming gratitude to all the staff that made my Daughter Gillian’s wedding day, a day that will bring smiles to my family and her guests for a very long time. The dressing of the room made it look like we were millionaires (please thank Ambience for a great job). Also the time, consideration, and the exceptional attention to our guests paid by your staff was outstanding.
David the Maitre D’, ran the celebrations and accommodated my Daughter and Son in Laws every wish. He was a true professional, he and all his staff were warm and friendly which set the tone for the rest of the day. I did not think the day could get any better and then the next shift headed by Jeanette, continued the experience and exceeded all expectations with the amazing buffet and the excellent service and attentiveness to our guests. Your employees are the best Liverpool has to offer. I am so grateful that my Daughter and her husband chose your venue as it was an experience I will never forget. I will recommend your venue to anyone who is thinking of having a function and tell them how great you ALL are and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms are set back from the road and there is no traffic noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Bought a deal from KGB with three course meal and two nights for £89 then read the reviews on this hotel and thought omg what have I done we had just come from Llandudno and stayed in another KGB deal that did not quite live up to the mark so I said to the wife if it's that bad we will just go home we were pleasantly surprised the staff I could not fault the room was excellent light airy and large we had a shower and a bath both fine food was good not brilliant grounds to the hotel are lovely so I find myself asking firstly how do they do it for the price and secondly what hotels some of the other reviewers have stayed in to be so negative

Room Tip: Can't help you with this can only say I stayed in room 254 and it was excellent
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trixie186460
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Devonshire for 2 nights in February. The outside of the main building, hidden behind the function rooms, looks impressive enough, but when you look closer you can see that it needs a lot of money spending on it. We arrived early Sunday afternoon to be told our room wasn't ready, so we waited in the bar area for, and waited, and waited for someone to serve us. The room was fine for the price we paid - plenty of space, shower working, and a comfy enough bed, but the wardrobe looked like an MFI reject, not capable of storing anything, and the blinds at the large windows let in too much light and noise......
Our breakfasts and the included 3-course dinner were not the standard we have seen on previous KGB deal-stays at other locations - the breakfast items were served up on very small, crowded plates, and the dinner choices were very limited. In fact, we ended up wishing we had dined elsewhere.....
The serving staff were fine, rushing around to serve up a very busy restaurant on the Monday, but the front desk staff were efficient but not particularly outgoing.
Overall, we were happy with what we got for our £99, as we prefer to try hotels like the Devonshire rather than chain cloned hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

When pulling up to the hotel it looks lovely, The garden and grounds are well maintained if only i could say the same about the inside, I knew as we booked a KGB deal it wasnt going to be anything fantastic, I just ask for it to be clean which i was a little disappointed with, The breakfast room didnt look like it had been hoovered in a while and the table cloth was dirty when we sat down for breakfast, Soup spoons were laid out for cereals which was a litttle confusing,You have a choice of hot/cold breakfast or both. The rooms were basic which i dont have a problem with but out of date biscuits and dirty cups isnt a good sign. There was mould in the bathroom around the ceiling and thick dirt around and behind the toilet, The toilet roll holder kept falling off which was slightly annoying. This hotel has a bar area and we were told it opened at 5 o'clock, 6.20pm it still wasnt open and the night befores dirty glasses were still sitting on the side, Overall this hotel needs a lot of work, cleaning and up dating would be a start, Taxi's are around £5 - £7 to the city centre and Anfield Stadia,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hayley B
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely awful. The room is most basic like in a hostel. Bit worse. Bathroom ceiling mouldy, out of date biscuits in room. Dirty glasses at bar. Wires in bathroom!Just awful very upsetting and couldn't wait to leave ASAP which we did & luckily found another hotel in city centre. DO NOT listen to other review saying good. Really do not get to feel the way we did. Miss it out completely.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Mysteryshopper2013
MH1974, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Mystery shopper

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor I am so sorry you felt our hotel was not up to your standards.

We do everything possible to ensure our guest enjoy their stay, it saddens me to read comments from guest who have stayed with us and have not made us aware of how they felt.

I am confident we would have been able to make your stay with us a more enjoyable one, had you made us aware you were unhappy.

I am more than happy to discuss with you the issues you felt you had, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience on 0151 264 6600.

Kind regards

John

Reviewed 7 March 2014

i have stayed twice at the Devonshire and on both occasions have found the hotel warm , clean , friendly , welcoming and above all secure.From the moment i arrived the first time i found Juie at reception exceptionally couteous , humorous and efficient even though i had travelled from Aus and arrived before check in exhausted she allowed me to check in early. The hotel might not be in the city centre but a 2 pound bus ride of approx 5 mins gets you to the liverpool square. The Hotel was warm in both the rooms and all other regions of the Hotel which is a blessing coming from a hot climate to the english winter. Breakfast was plentiful all the egss beans and bacon plus continental you can eat for 6 pounds ! The friendly team in the Hotel Bar headed up by Sue meant you could have after dinner drinks and chat to the locals a great way to get to know the locals of liverpool and network travels .At night there is a security guard parading the outside car park and perimeter and Lyn the night receptionist was there to assist in all after hours enquiries. the management team of John duty Manager and Dave Director are at the forefront of this hotel's reputation. I loved it !! what do people expect for 35 pounds a night but clean warm friendly team ...i will definitely stay again in room 101 "room with a view" and have already reserved for the rugby world cup i recomment this hotel for couples on a budget and student travellers ...back packer prices for back packer luxury ...written in true faith Alison ..

Room Tip: room 101 or 103 secure double room with double window locks and a great view of the front garden
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was a KGB Deals 2 night stay with dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings.
The dinner menu was restricted for the KGB guests but still gave an acceptable choice and the food was reasonable. Breakfast was a cold / hot buffet with a good choice and generous portions.

The room was large and cosy with a flatscreen Freeview TV, tea and coffee making facilities and good storage. No curtains at the windows, just roller blinds, but they kept out the daylight in the morning. New towels were provided each day and the shower was sufficient and clean.

We could drive to the multi-storey car park near the Adelphi and Liverpool One in 5-10 mins. The hotel is on the road out to the M62 and was easy to find with plenty of parking.

It's not a luxury hotel by any means but it was warm, friendly and very cheap! - a good place to sleep. We would certainly use it again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple