“don't go there”

Devonshire House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Very dirty - cutlery crockery ceilings walls bed . Musty smell. Silverfish in bathroom. One referencing feature was a lovely member of staff who served us in the restaurant and asked us about our day when she next saw us. Receptionist more interested in moaning about how tired she was thAn getting us a taxi. Worst hotel ever.

Room Tip: Don't choose any
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vikki A
MH1974, Manager at Devonshire House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Viki A

Thank you for you for your response though disappointing read, we are in the process of upgrading the hotel you may have noticed the signs in the hotel during your stay.

It always disappoints me when our guest do not make us aware of their dissatisfaction as am sure we could have made your stay an enjoyable one. We really don’t like our guest to leave unhappy.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My Wife and I stayed at this Hotel in May for 2 nights.
It was part of a KGB Deal. I could NOT fault the hospitality shown to us.
The Evening meal supplied in the DEAL, was very pleasant, and the Full English Breakfast was also of a high standard.I do wish they could serve TEA in small pots still - these Vacuum Flasks, just do not have the same taste.
The Devonshire occupies an enormous site in Liverpool. They obviously have a flourishing trade for conferences and venue hire. The "KENSINGTON" area in which it is situated, is being overhauled, and the Hotel needs the same treatment. It is NOT run down, but it does need a LOT of glitter dust, to make it sparkle again. I really wish them every success in these demanding economic times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Pelllis London

Thank you for your response on trip advisor, we do appreciated kind comments and I am so pleased you felt you had received value for money.

I am taking on board your comments about the teapots for breakfast this has been an oversight, I do hope the lack of a teapot did not disappoint you too much.

The hotel is currently undergoing a soft refurbishment on the bed rooms and public areas once again thank you for taking the time to leave such nice comments.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

An old building that was a bit tired but very clean and comfortable. Room was enormous , with all facilities clean and working. Good selection for breakfast and all the staff very pleasant , would definitely go back.

Room Tip: take a taxi into town , its about £5.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Alan Reilly

Thank you so much for your comments on trip advisor, the hotel is ideally located for football and the city centre. We endeavour to meet all of our guest requirements however small.

Please except my sincere apologies for the mix up with the allocation of rooms.

It really pleases me to know you and your family have had a nice stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Warm, friendly, clean , good location, nice affordable food. Stayed here weekend of May 11th for Liverpool v Newcastle game. Very close to Anfield. Short taxi ride from town. Travelled with teenagers and kids. Caters for all. Had small problem with allocation of rooms but was sorted right away and hassle free. Actually was a problem caused by the booking agent. Staff at reception, restaurant and bar were very friendly . It was like being served dinner by your own Mum. Rooms were ideal. Clean, tidy , wide screen tv. Will make this our base from now on for every Liverpool home game. Highly recommend.. Now David, I told you so.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Alan Reilly

Please except my sincere apologies for the mix up with the allocation of rooms.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

we stayed here on a weekend break in may 2014. it,s not a bad hotel, a bit jaded, but the friendly staff and comfortable rooms make up for that. it is not too far from the city centre, there is a bus service directly outside, buses every half hour. i would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Noel57 Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind comments on trip advisor, we are currently undergoing a soft refurbished programme on our rooms and public areas.

We look forward to welcoming back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I can't understand people who want to pay budget prices and then complain that the hotel isn't 5 star. My wife and I went on a KGB deal, paid £89 for two nights bed and breakfast and 1 evening meal. The hotel was clean and comfortable, the staff were excellent, the food was good and the room clean and spacious. We had room 402 overlooking the gardens, which were very well kept. Whats to complain about??. Alright, the hotel could do with a bit of a makeover, but redecorating the whole lot would cost a fortune and the prices would have to go up.. We were more than happy with our stay and will return. One amusing bit, our bed was on wheels and there was no headboard. When we sat up and leaned against the wall, the bed shot forward. I wedged my shoes under the front, problem solved.

Room Tip: 402,403 and 404 overlook the gardens.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob486

Dear Rob 486
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor, I am really please we met with your expectations, it’s nice to read positive comments about our team.

Our accommodation is undergoing a soft refurbishment programme, once again many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the devonshire house hotel on 18th and 19th april. The reason for my stay was my best friends wedding. I cannot fault any part of my stay, the staff were so friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble for them.The room was clean and tidy. The gardens are beautiful and so well kept. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. overall a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Eileen L

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor,

it’s refreshing to hear such wonderful comments about the team at the hotel am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your more than happy to recommend us to your friends.