“Best guest house in Britain!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Somersby GuestHouse

Somersby GuestHouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liverpool
Somersby GuestHouse
Ranked #36 of 76 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Ontario
“Best guest house in Britain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

My mum and I stayed at the Somersby Guest House in early March and absolutely loved it! The room was bright and cheerful and our host Dave was truly delightful. We felt so welcome and comfortable in our surroundings, and the English breakfasts Dave whipped up for us each morning were fabulous. The house is a very beautiful old home in lovely, quiet surroundings. We enjoyed our stay there so much that we came back for another stay there at the end of our trip! We travel to the UK every two years to visit with family and will definitely be staying with Dave on all our future trips to Liverpool.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2009

We were given the number for Somersby's by another guest house, when I rang the Dave was very helpful and the booking was easily made with the offer of directions if needed. It was an easy trip over from York and we found it very quickly considering Green Lane is split over both sides of a dual carriageway, situated at the top of a quiet leafy street we were able to park on the side round although Dave did offer the use of the side driveway.

The room was clean and bright although we didn't hand around as we wanted to get into town, we were given the keys and shown the guest kitchen, placed our breakfast order and the rear door where we could get in later on and off we went. Returning some 9 hours later we were really pleased with ourselves by remembering how to get back to our room up the back staircase especially considering the rooms are not numbered. Looking round the room properly this time, two doors in the corner found a hidden en-suite, weren't expecting that. There was plenty of storage, TV and bottles of water. The room had a lovely bay window with a window seat overlooking the garden and the beds (double and a single) were very comfy.

The next morning when we went for breakfast we were surprised to find we were the only guests ,however there was a good choice of cereals, tea or coffee, full cooked breakfast and toast. Delicious!

From here we found it just a short walk to the high street were we were able to catch a bus into town and coming home again was just a 15 minute taxi ride.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Kongsvinger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

When we arrived in a rent car, we couldn't find the way. The owner told us to stop and tell him in what street we were. In 15 minutes he found us and brought us to Somersby at no cost - well, that is special service!!
The room was big and nice, and the surroundings were silent and nice. It was a 8-10 £ taxi trip downtown. There were plenty of buses also, a little cheaper.
Anyhow: Just 4-5 minutes walk from Somersby there are really good restaurants and bars. Especially if you just don't wanna surround you with teenagers. It was a good mix of grown up people, not to many young people.
The breakfast was better than the most hotels, fried eggs & bacon directly from the owner!!!, bread, cereals, tea, coffee, fresh juice, milk, jam - everything you need!
Thanks for a pleasant stay. It's really worth the 30£ a night.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

Excellent, friendly welcome. Fantastic cooked breakfast in the morning. Room warm and cosy. Good value for money. Would not even bother looking for somewhere else if I visit Liverpool again on buiness. Owner Dave recommended the nearby Halfway House Pub Carvery for evening meal which at £3.50 was unbelievable!

Only one slight criticism was that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in my room, only a bottle of water. There was a guest kitchen downstairs with a fantastic array of beverages available, even a microwave for personal use, but if your undressed for the night and reading or watching TV you dont want to have to get up, make yourself look semi decent in cvase you bump into another guest, and then go off downstairs to make a drink!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

My wife & I stayed in this guest house with my mother-in-law & father-in-law in November as my wife was going to a grduation ceremony at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral. We left it until the last minute before booking and I discovered the place by browsing tripadvisor's best ranked liverpool guest houses. The top 2 were fully booked, and at the time Somersby Guest House was ranked #3.

There were a number of good things about the place. Firstly, although it's not close to Liverpool city centre, it is set in a beautiful tree lined 'Green Lane' which is quiet, and obviously a nice, affluent area. Secondly, the gentleman who owns the guest house was very pleasant and gave good advice on the nearby retaurants, pubs etc. We ate lunch at the 'Neighbourhood' cafe which had been a butcher shop in the past (really worth a visit) and there was also a pub across the road from the cafe on Woolton Road called 'The Halfway House', which looked good too.

The full breakfast was good - full fried breakfast and a choice of breakfast cereals. There is a common room (living room/dining room) and a kichen for use by guests, separate from but still within the main house. There are irons and an ironing board available in the kitchen. Our room was pretty with a nice garden view, and a TV.

Criticisms would be, the rooms were a bit cold and so we needed to use the plug-in blow heater. The decor was ok, but a bit of updating would be nice. There was a smell of stale smoke a few times in the hall - I presumed the owner or other guests had been smoking inside the house, or the smoke from outside had got in through open windows.

Also, there were 4 of us (2 married couples) and we were only offered a double en-suite and a twin room (with no en-suite) but a bathroom beside it, despite there being other empty double rooms available. Perhaps the owner hadn't had the chance to clean those rooms before we arrived. Or, since we were family, perhaps the owner was trying to be considerate and his thinking was to give us this particular part of the house because it would mean that only we would be using that bathroom and we could have our rooms beside each other.

The owner did say the wrong thing once, when showing me where to find the iron and ironing board - he said 'shouldn't your girlfriend be doing that?' (I think it was meant more as a joke than him being chauvanist, but I am married and wouldn't have shared a room with a girlfriend prior to getting married (due to strong beliefs), so didn't find it that funny, but I'll forgive him. What is funny is that as I write this, my wife is ironing! :)

All this said, I would still recomend this place - we only stayed one night and I think we all agreed that at £30 pppn it was good value. I wouldn't have minded staying longer and I might go back, but I am a sucker for a nice hotel with a pool.

Sorry for waffling - my first review & a day off work.

Stayed November 2008
lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

This is the first time I have been prompted to write a review on Tripadvisor, but I want to share my good experience of this guesthouse. After an exhaustive trawl through various Liverpool b&bs and hotels, I plumped for the Somersby on the basis of 2 positive reviews on here, the location and price (£30 pppn with breakfast). And Im so glad I did! The owner treated us as though we were old friends, was extremely welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for him. Breakfast was the best I have had in a hotel- branded cereals, filter coffee or a selection of teas and a full fried breakfast with hash browns, bacon, butcher's sausages, egg, tomato, beans, mushrooms and black pudding. All this and toast and jam and marmalade! The room was very light, spacious and clean with lovely bedding and smart en-suite. And there was a guest kitchen and lounge which we were free to use which was great. All in all we couldnt have had a better stay- and for Beatles' fans Strawberry Field is a 15 min walk, and Mendips and Forthlin Road nearby too (as is Penny Lane). A very relaxing place to stay when in Liverpool! We will definitely return!

• Liked — location and facilities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank northerner82
poole dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

somersby guest house was perfect set in quiet residential area perfect place to relax Dave the owner was a gentleman nothing was to much trouble ,food was excellent and accomodation clean with all esentials provided tv in room and small kitchen for guests to make refreshments, style and grounds of house were lovely we would recommend this hotel and will definetly be staying there again.

carole and John from Poole in Dorset

• Liked — personal touch owner went out of his way to make it a pleasant stay
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank caz45