“Convenient & affordable in a great central location”
Review of YHA Liverpool

YHA Liverpool
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Being someone who regularly stays in hostels when visiting cities I totally recommend this as a great place to stay.

I chose this place especially for its central location and everything you could want to experience in Liverpool is only a short walk away. It is almost opposite the Albert Dock and about 10 minutes by foot from the city centre. This was my first visit to Liverpool and not really knowing the area, I found it easy to find both on foot and by car. There is also a limited amount of parking for guests that means we could just not worry about the car. This is again a welcome convenience in a city centre.

The staff were very friendly and polite. They would do absolutely everything they could to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I noticed they were also very security conscious, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing and they weren't by any means over the top with it.

The room we had was spacious and very clean. It had an en-suite facility that was a bit in need of updating and some maintenance, but was also clean and perfectly adequate. The beds were not the most comfortable I have slept in, but then you are in value accommodation and again they were adequate. The hostel is on a main road and during the day this can generate some noise, however this was not a problem at night and I had a very good nights sleep.

The place has a university halls of residence feel about it and this isn't surprising when you consider the target market of the YHA. This is what I love about hostels as it gives it a strong welcoming atmosphere.

They serve food on site and although I only had breakfast, I found my food to be good quality for the price. Again the food handling facilities very clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

like all hostels its not the most high quality accommodation experience. But this delightful accommodation more than makes up for this with its central location, easy access and high levels of service. Overall it's good value for money for a place to stay in Liverpool and I would totally recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
YHALiverpoolManager, Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments and feedback. All of our staff work hard to ensure all of our guests have a great experience and I will pass on your comments to them.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at YHA Liverpool and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for YHA Liverpool

Reviewed 21 June 2014

It was the first time I was sleeping in a hostel. It was packed of people who came back from a party, but were not noisy at all. The service was not too friendly and helpful, when asked about really general issues such as the location of the public library... even though bathroom was clean, I have serious doubts if the bed linen was regularly changed... Great location though, as it is literally 2 minutes walk from Albert's Dock

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pawel W
YHALiverpoolManager, General Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, I apologise that we did not fully meet your expectations in this instance. As you stayed in September last year it is very hard for me to follow up on your comments further. However, I can assure you that all of our departed beds have fresh linen every day.
We hope to see you again in future and we will aim to exceed your expectations next time.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fiend booked this for a girls weekend so all 18 of us could be close. I tried to book another hotel when I saw it but all were booked up with it being a Saturday. At £35 each..that's £210 per room for 6 we could have got an apartment! Never been to prison but felt like I was in one. curtains having down from rail! Furniture and decor very shabby. Carpets are minging and all the bathroom just stunk of disinfectant. Corridors and rooms just smelt sweaty and disgusting. Needed a drink to sleep here. Will never ever go to a hostel again. The downstairs facilities are good which must be where're 4 stars come from. The rooms are -4 star. Location good if you are not bothered where you stay. Staff friendly too

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
YHALiverpoolManager, General Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience and please accept my apologes for your disappointment. Your comments have been shared with my team and we will review them internally. I am glad that you enjoyed our recently refurbed bar and reception area. We are now looking forward to a small general hostel refurb and decorating project which will also address some of the issues that you raised, hopefully beginning this winter.
I am sorry that we may not have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here with 4 friends. As a couple of us were running in the rock and roll liverpool half marathon. And to be honest i was a little apprehensive as ive never stayed in a hostel before. But my fears were soon dispelled. The recetion area was modern and super clean. And the people on the desk were very friendly. We checked our bags in early and went off for our race. On our return we were given our room which had 3 bunk beds and en suite bathroom. Everything was clean and neat. We had breakfast the following morning which was as good as ive eaten amywere. All in all a great value place. Im sure i will stay again.thanks for a great stay

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank fudge j
YHALiverpoolManager, General Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am glad that your first experience with YHA was a positive one. Liverpool is a fantastic city and we hope to see you again in the near future and that your stay will be here at YHA Liverpool.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a great stay in the 6 person private en suite dorm. A few of my friends were very apprehensive about staying in a hostel, so I'm pleased to say they all enjoyed their first hostel experience and had a brilliant time!!
Reception lovely & cheap breakfast, pub grub tasty, room & bathroom were clean. What more can you ask!!
Obviously there's some outside noise from traffic etc when you've got the windows open for fresh air, but we were just happy to be in the centre of the city! Only 5mins walk from Liverpool One too.

Thanks for a great stay YHA, none of your hostels ever let me down :D

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Loobeylou22

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I will pass on your comments to the staff. Liverpool is a fantastic city and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms were clean, beds and linen clean and the bathroom in the room is a plus. Was a very nice breakfast for a good price. Staff were friendly and helpful as well. Recommend this yha if you want to stay in a hostel in Liverpool for sure.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jonothegreat
YHALiverpoolManager, General Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Terrible experience. Don 't pick this hostel! First of all Where can I start?, the whole place looks like a hospital, the atmosphere is just weird, doesn 't feel like a hostel at all, very depressing. Everything seems to be about money! Internet is ridiculously expensive, when most other local hostels offer it for much cheaper or free. The rooms lack colour and "happiness". Manager is incredibly arrogant, I'm not even sure why such a reputable Hostel chain, like YHA, would have a manager as such. She looks like the most miserable person you'll ever meet. And she definitely makes sure that you know that she's just really after your money.

There are plenty other better hostels around the city, that'll offer much better service and REAL hospitality. Just look out a bit. Choose any one but this. I wouldn't even recommend it to my enemy to stay at this place... don't save money when you know you're gonna have a bad experience. Spend a bit more, have fun and enjoy this great city! You were warned.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Martina B
YHALiverpoolManager, Manager at YHA Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write your review, we’re sorry you didn’t have a great experience here. We do charge separately for most things, this gives our guests the chance to pay only for the goods and services they require and also means we can charge as little as £10 per bed on some nights. For HI and YHA Members our WiFi service is free of charge and you can become a member for as little as £10 per annum.
With regards to the negative comments about me personally, I am afraid that you have me at a disadvantage as I don't recall ever meeting you and I am sure I would have remembered what appears to have been a very memorable experience for yourself. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss any of the issues that you have raised and I will be more than happy to pass your feedback on to my operations manager.