“Surprise”

Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South
Ranked #57 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“Surprise”
Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

Booked in here fairly last minute.Got up graded to Directors suite. Nice room bathroom very tired.
Food in evening v disappointing, in fact whilst the buffet breakfast was ok think the kitchen is somewhat lacking.
Staff v friendly and helpful overall great value.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to see reception have cared for you and offered you a complimentary upgrade.

Thank you for your comments in relation to the kitchen I will discuss with the Head Chef.

Joe Little

Staff v friendly and helpful overall great value.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We recently had our wedding ceremony, reception and evening party at 'The Alicia' and it could not have been any better. From start to finish the staff went above and beyond to make sure everything ran smoothly.

The building is perfect for a wedding and as they only have one wedding a day here we virtually had the run of the place! Special mention goes to Jenny who was always available to go over any details in the run up (and was always really enthusiastic) and John who on the day was always in the background making sure everything was just right. That said all t he staff were excellent, so much so that a lot of the guests commented on them. The only downside was that it rained so we couldn't have the ceremony outside but we ended up in the conservatory which was beautifully decorate for us.

The food was lovely, day and evening. The DJ was great, even taking requests from guests. And the Honeymoon suite was perfect. Honestly couldn't recommend 'The Alicia' highly enough.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you had an excellent day, I will be sure to pass your comments onto the staff and especially Jenny & John.

essex, uk
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed one night with my husband while he was on business. Only £69 for a large clean and comfy en suite room. View wasn't great and decor was a bit dated, but really nice, friendly helpful staff. Really super breakfast with lots of choice. It's not in the city centre but is just across the street from the beautiful Sefton Park. We would definitely go again.

Room Tip: After reading other reviews, we asked for a room with a firm mattress. We had no complaints.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed stay and hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Booked to stay here for two nights as visiting Liverpool for work and an exam and was advised by work that visitors usually stayed here. The night before I had stayed at the Hilton Hampton at Albert Dock which was absolutely lovely (and cheaper). I was a little wary initially as the hotel is in a fairly shabby area, despite the park opposite. There's some sort of hostel next door with a big bunch of guys hanging about shouting at the gate. I had specified that I didn't want a basement room as my experience of basements has not been good. When I arrived the very nice receptionist gave me a key for room 17- I went in and it was already occupied. I went back to reception and was told my room had been changed as the man in room 17 had stayed on. Needless to say the next room was 50, in the basement (they call it the garden wing). The corridor smelled horrible, grossly damp despite the heating being fully on. The room was small and the darkest I have ever seen due to the clematis covering the window. It had a fire door to the outside and a very drab bathroom across a little corridor. I asked to change and they gave me a single room (2) which was ghastly- above the kitchen, smelled of chips, noisy generator, no bedside lamp, scabby old bathroom. Are we supposed to read by the main light and then get out of bed to turn it off? I left and went back to the beautiful Hampton with its included breakfast and its gym. Won't be back. Move into the 21st century Best Western- presumably you live off your wedding revenues.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, I can only presume you where offered the only 2 rooms we had left in the hotel that night due to you being a late arrival.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future, as we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade so please do contact the hotel directly for this.

Joe Little

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

London
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Unfortunately we stayed here this past weekend - it was a terrible stay. My husband and I had booked a family room with our young baby and the hotel stupidly put us above their function room so we were kept awake until 12.30am by live music and a dj - the walls of our room (room 5) were literally vibrating from the music and it was like being in a BAD disco. Our poor baby who is an excellent sleeper was miserable, as were we. The wedding party were staying in our corridor so they drunkenly traipsed down the corridor from 1.30 until 4.30am and at 7am their children started screaming and running up and down the corridors, argh!!!! We literally didn't sleep and when I complained the next morning (literally in tears I was so upset), the manager John virtually sneered at me that this is a "function" hotel as advertised on the website, he was totally unapologetic and unhelpful, rude beyond belief, not a nice man. Why they have a family room above the function room is madness and why they put a family who were not part of the wedding was even more stupid. The ladies who worked at the hotel were on the other hand very kind and helpful. Breakfast was poor - bad quality ingredients and no flavour. For £108 a night it was overpriced and the manager's treatment of me plain awful, don't know how he has a job. We also paid £10 for early check in and one the phone I was promised that we could be in the room for 11.30am latest as we were dashing off to a wedding, upon arrival the room was still dirty due to a late checkout of the previous guests...we finally got in at 12.15 so had 5 minutes to change, feed our child etc before leaving, very unimpressive. Our family room was poky, the water in the bathroom scalding hot, the glass shower door kept banging into the bathroom door, our view was the kitchen bins and when the window was open all you could hear were the staff on their mobiles smoking away. If you are a family do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apologies for allocating your room above a busy function this is not common practice and is not company standard.

The comments you make of John, is again unusual as if you read other trip advisor comments John is usually described as a very nice man. I have spoken to John, he sends his apologies if he came across unapologetic.

Breakfast is one of the areas of the hotel that I regularly get good comments on, I will look into this for you if for some reason this was not up to the usual standard.

Once again I do hope you will accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion, but do hope you will give us the opportunity of changing your opinion of the hotel in the future.

Regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here for a wedding held at the hotel.

Upon arriving at 10.30 we were told our rooms werent ready, that was no problem as there was a room put aside for the guests travelling to the wedding so I mentioned this, I was told that the hotel was full and there were no rooms, I produced the email from the Groom informing me this was so, she read it and said sorry, you can use the toilets. It wa then that she informed us that one room was ready and for £10 we could check in early, so we did taking it in shifts to get changed.

The room where we got changed was tiny and could just about accomodate two people, the bed was a double and pretty much filled the room.

Now, the reception was fine, the food good and staff polite so it was approaching midnight when we decided to call it a night, to find that our rooms were directly below the reception area so was subjected to the sounds af Agado and the Macarena until the early hours.

As we had quite a drive back we decided to set at 7.30, only to discover the breakfast didnt start until 8.

The hotel overall was quite typical of a Best Western a bit shabby and needing to be refurbed. Some would say it has a quaint feel but I would disagree, this was just rundown.

Overall not somewhere to visit outside of a wedding when it will suffice but this isnt a palce I would suggest as an overnight stay otherwise, there are far better locations in Liverpool for the same or less price

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank stutheobald
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Mr Theobald,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your room was not ready at 10.30am, we guarantee a 2pm check in and upon request, before the day in question can offer early check in's.

A changing room is not something we would usually offer when the hotel is full, however early check in is available upon request.

Wedding or function guests staying the night do have their rooms assigned over the function suite therefore not to upset any other guests who may not be attending the function. Music would always finish at 12.30am.

Breakfast does begin at 8am however upon request this can be made available for you at whatever time suits you.

The hotels public areas, restaurant, function suite and bar had a full refurbishment January 2011. Over 50% of the bedrooms have had a full refurbishment in the past 2 1/2 years of which one of the rooms was yours.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Alicia Hotel in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I didn't stay in hotel but visited a wedding but all my family did I visited rooms to refresh an relax bed was cumfy room was nice the best bit was the service in the bar ok prices can be bit dear but service was great didn't wait long even had me own little cute barmen named Joe tall blonde hair lovely smile made me feel an me family feel welcomed an asked how we all were food was lovely overall I would love to stay in this hotel

• Stayed June 2012
James C, Front Office Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 14 January 2017
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review at Best Western Hallmark Hotel Alicia Liverpool . I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards