“A good experience”

Ranked #56 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed at the Alicia for 3 nights, from 21st - 24th June. The staff were all very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble.
We had an executive double room (No 42) which was most comfortable and spotlessly clean. The room was at the front of the hotel, alongside the road, but there was no noise from traffic.
There were two wedding parties during our stay, but we did not hear them . Due to one party, we were not able to use the restaurant one evening, but room service was immediately offered.
Breakfast was excellent, piping hot and plenty of choice.
Our room had a very pleasant outlook over Sefton Park. There was a three-day Carribbean music festival in the park, and we could hear the music, but it finished at 10pm at night so was not intrusive.
There is a lovely Italian Garden themed patio area with comfortable seating at the rear of the hotel. Unfortunately the weather did not allow us to use it, but in fine weather it would be most relaxing.
There is a bus-stop about 10 minutes walk from the hotel which takes you right into the city centre (£2.10 each way) in about 20 minutes.
Our stay was a very good experience. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: I read the reviews on this hotel before I booked it.` Some people obviously had issues with some of...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for such a positive review. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team who will be truly grateful. We hope we can welcome you to Liverpool and Best Western Alicia Hotel again in the near future.

Paul Day

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We spent two nights in a huge room (Director's Suite) which faces Sefton Park. It was in the main section of the hotel, the rooms are older but it had a lovely costume drama feel to it and everything was really clean and worked well (even the old style sash windows open smoothly) so it wasn't an issue. It's nicer than these generic new hotel rooms that you get these days. My husband went for a run in the park one morning, and our teenage son had his own room which he liked too. There was free parking and free internet. Staff were really friendly.

Loved the breakfast - was like a feast! Full English, plus cold cuts, croissants, freshly made fruit salad, juice, cereals, yogurt ... and it was served in the Glasshouse which was quite beautiful. Yes, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the hotels quirky features. The hotel is an old cotton merchants and we are trying to keep that historic character to the building whilst obvioulsy keeping it maintained to a high standard. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast, we really do believe that it is the most important meal of the day and strive to make it not only the best in Liverpool but that of the North West. I will pass on your comments to the team who will be very appreciative of them. We hope to see you again.

Cornwall
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Contrary to some of the reviews I found the Alicia to be quite acceptable. Yes I've stayed in some better hotels but a hell of alot worse!

Check in was smooth and although I had misgivings about the narrow corridors and tired looking room doors etc my room itself was spotlessly clean and (although a little small) was fine for my needs of an overnight stay on business.

I ate in the restaurant where the service was a little 'clunky' although the portion sizes were huge and food itself not bad at all.

I had a good nights sleep and the self service breakfast set me up for another busy day. I'd say judge for yourself but I'll return next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review it is greatly appreciated. People are often quick to use these review sites when things are bad but less likely when things are good. I am glad that you have taken the time to report back on how enjoyable your stay was. We look forward to seeing you again soon :)

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

What can I say superb day 15th June 2013 for our daughter and son-in-law,from the start of booking this venue only 3months ago Jenny the person we dealt with from start to finish was excellent she helped us in every way possible I cannot say enough about this lady she is superb every text,email message and telehone call was always dealt with and she always eased my worries,then on the actual day we met paul the manager who helped us with getting to the rooms which where beautiful,he helped getting everything out the car's and just being so kind,we also met John who stayed and helped us in every way possible from bringing champagne to the room for the bride and bridesmaid,he even helped jodie in her dress because I was useless shaking like a leaf.
John stayed with Jodie and Peter all day,she said he could have not done enough for them,he even stopped and talked to most of our guest's just so helpful.

I cannot say enough here about all the staff The Alicia Hotel made our day thankyou all so much.

The ony negative which is not down to staff is the pricey bar have a fat wallet if staying he all day Vodka and tonic £6.75 or small bottle of coke £2.00,but that never stopped us getting drunk just be prepared

Room Tip: Stunning place and excellent staff
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SHAZZA3
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the day as a whole. Weddings truly are our business and we work so hard to make each and every one of them perfect. We are really grateful that this is noticed and appreciated. I will pass on your kind words to the team who I know will be uplifted by your kind words too. Please pass onmy warm wishes to the happy couple once again and we hope to see you all again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed at the Alicia in march 2013 after a night out in Liverpool lovely hotel rooms and staff were very friendly only downside was the distance to city center it cost us £10 each way so if u want to keep the cost down its not the ideal location. But overall a lovely little hotel :)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank kelly4185
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. The team work very hard here to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible. We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed here for one night, and it happened to be having a wedding here too.

Nothing was too much trouble, Emma & Hayley on reception were above and beyong their required helpfulness in their job. As was the tall chap with shaved head (didn't have a name badge on), who opened up the bar for us to have a quiet drink upon returning from the festival at the end of the evening.

Despite the Hotal being busy with said Wedding, we certainly didn't feel neglected. Parking was easy. Breakfast was superb and ran very smoothly, again the staff there were excellent, and let us sit a while reading our papers after finishing our meal.

The location on the edge of Sefton Park added to the whole experience.

Room was well laid out, bed linen/towels crisp, clean and white. Facilities were as expected and to a high standard. We stayed in room No 40, decor a little tired, could do with a refresh, or a fresh look in there to check that all is as it should be before guests enter, as there was a curtain coming off its hooks, and some peeling wallpaper. That said, we had a fabulous night sleep and heard NO noise from the wedding revellers.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traci G
Alica_Hotel_GM, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I will pass on your comments to the team who will be greatly motivated by them. I'm glad you had a great stay in Liverpool and The Alicia and we hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Staff in this hotel are amazing not just 1 all of them.. Had my wedding here bank holiday weekend in May. Day was perfect nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. At first I dealt with Jenny to organise the wedding she is lovely, caring, helpful and always on hand when you need her. (In my case all the time). Unfortunately on the day Jenny wasn't there but that didn't ruin the day as John was there he again is one in a million. He worked as if i went through it with him! Day was brilliant everything went as they said it would nothing went wrong. So thanks to Jen and John you made our day very special! You both are very special to us both! Thanks to all the staff that made our day special too. Kate

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank KateH-01
Kate... what can we say apart from we agree completely. Absolutely fab day. You were such a fantastic crowd to look after. Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I hope you are not suffering to omuch from withdrawal symptoms now the day has passed. I know Jenny misses her daily natter and hopes to see you again soon. Pop in for a coffee sometime with her and don't be a stranger. Oh and congratulations once again.