ibis Liverpool Centre Albert Dock - Liverpool One
Ranked #45 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We had a number of twin rooms booked for a stag weekend. After a disorganised and lengthy booking in process we proceeded to our room. I was sharing with a male friend, not a very close friend. Well he is now, as we had to share a double bed. This was due to the fact they had no twin rooms available. I have worked in hotels in a few countries, so I understand sometimes mistakes are made. We were offered a camp bed. I don't know how it would have got into the room as we could only just walk around the bed! For the price we paid the room was very basic. I don't know what you could have done to make it any more basic, we did find a malteaser under our bed which was nice. Anyway, we were offered a free breakfast to compensate, at the time I thought this to be reasonable.
Breakfast was busy and disorganised, a few of our group found it difficult to get all the ingredients for a cup of tea to arrive at the same time, so resorted to making tea in the room and bringing it down for breakfast.
I was getting my breakfast, I had bacon, sausage and beans. Now, I like a bit of mustard with my sausage, I have asked a few friend and colleagues and they have agreed this is not strange or abnormal in anyway. I would normally go for English, but I'm open minded and would be happy with whole grain or even French! So, I asked Joanna I think her name was, If there was any mustard. No, was the reply. You do not have any mustard I enquired? No.
No mustard in the building? I said, thinking that maybe a delivery had been missed or there was an international mustard shortage I had missed.
No, we have mustard Joanna replied.
OK, I said a little confused. You have mustard but you can/ won't give it to me?
Don't put words in my mouth Joanna said.
Joanna, I want to understand the situation.
To be honest I have never heard of this kind of thing.
You can have ketchup or brown sauce for breakfast she said. If you asked for chips for breakfast you could not have chips for breakfast Joanna replied convinced that this was an appropriate reply to a request for mustard.
Now I can understand the logic here, although some people like chips for breakfast, and I think choice is good.
But, Joanna mustard is a condiment. I will pay you a pound for some mustard. I said. I know a pound is quite a lot of money for a dollop of mustard, but I really love the stuff.
I the found out you have 2 store rooms, one for breakfast and one for dinner. To be honest I have no interest in how organisation, restaurants store there products. I would like to have thought condiments like mustard, ketchup and brown sauce were kept in the fridge, I keep mine in the fridge. My mum likes to put them in the cupboard, and I have not been ill yet.
So, no mustard for me.
I would like to know why I can’t have mustard with my breakfast in an Ibis hotel?
I would also like to know how you feel the rates we paid for our room (Its £195 for 2 people for 2 nights) are justified?
I would like a full refund.
I would not like a discounted next stay, as I will not be staying at an Ibis hotel again.
I would like the definition of what good customer service means to you.
I would like the definition of excellent customer service.
I would like to know the level of customer service you aim for. Because from my experience it seems you aim to provide the minimum level of service possible whilst charging the maximum rate possible.

I have attached my new boyfriends comments on our stay
“That hotel was the worst I've ever stayed in.
Very disappointing for £100 quid a night. Double beds hahah, "put you up" to make do that has two springs missing. PODS for a bathroom....haha, badly organised, check-in was a farce, breakfast, basic to say the least. No cups, no spoons. Total lack of respect for the paying customer.”

I look forward to your response.

Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed 16 September 2008

Customer service is terrible at this Ibis. I sent an email and made FIVE telephone calls in the space of a week, and they didn't even have the courtesy to respond - booked elsewhere in the end for this very reason.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Great Britain is not exactly known for being very affordable. If you do go on a combined work/holiday travel though, you want to be comfortable as we tried to be. The room was big enough, but rather basic. Container bathroom without much other than a guest soap and mounted dispenser shower gel, shelf closet without door, large bed on stilts, TV, table under the window, chair. No fridge or mini bar. If the bed is elevated for whatever reason, it would be nice if the personnel would make it a point to vacuum below it.

Upon checking in (being travel experienced) we asked the staff member on duty to make absolutely sure we did not have breakfast included. We were told in no uncertain terms it was not included and asked to come back an hour later, at one. Fine - go down to Albert Dock, back an hour later, to be told come back at two. After a rather stern reminder that we would like to be taken to an available room in this big enough hotel NOW, this was accomplished.

A one time "party" in the hallway during the night was hardly hindered by the efforts of the staff.

The morning we left and paid, we found out from the bill that breakfast would have been included all week, as a part of a special offer that went unnoticed.

In the end it was an reasonably comfortable place to stay, which could have been cleaner. If you stay there, make sure you print all information regarding your arrangement and room from their webpage. The service personnel cannot be relied on as sole source of correct information. Would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank twosides
Reviewed 6 August 2008

great location and even better staff! all very polite, welcoming and helpful. all with very positive attitides and clearly loving their jobs...no wonder there were so many people of all ages enjoying the bar on one evening and all very smart in dress.

nothing was too much trouble and that also goes for the cleanliness of the room... totally spotless and serviced daily....clean towels and bins emptied plus surfaces wiped if even a coffee mark was left by accident.

why cant all low cost hotels (or even more expensive ones for that matter!) be like this..The beds (twins) both very hard though so just make sure you are ok for that.....

i think the breakfast buffet could have been a little more diverse as not a great deal of choice, though excellent quality for the range that was there and when included in the cost, brilliant.... fruit a little limited though muesli and yogarts in plenty suppy so fabe!

the location of hotel just perfect whether you are a walker or not as lots very close by and gorgeous docklands opposite.

i will be back before xmas and only hope with more good reviews they dont put the price up!

it is my second ibis stay and the first in birmingham no comparison....this was VERY good!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank HampshireKaren
Reviewed 30 July 2008

I don't really class £84 a night as a budget price for a room without breakfast but below budget is what you get. I agree with the last reviewer. I don't think the windows had been cleaned since the Hotel was built and the room itself was in desperate need of a good clean. The carpet was stained and smelly and the single beds small and uncomfortable with poor quality duvets and pillows. The whole room, particularly the bathroom capsule, was reminiscent of a cabin in a cross channel ferry.
The reception area, which was also the cafe and bar, was also rather shabby and grubby. The whole place felt well-used and the staff struggled to cope with the number of customers asking for food and drinks in what was a busy period, the start of the Tall Ships visit. The staff were friendly enough and the location was great as it is just across the road from the Albert Dock but I would look elsewhere for accomodation if I ever visited again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My experience at the ibis liverpool in room 205 was not pleasant.The room was filthy and overpriced at 95 pounds per night.They shud wear a mask and a striped jumper the robbing [--].We were given a disabled room,which we did not need.The bathroom was fully open with no divide between the shower,so everytime you got showered the floor became a major safety hazard.The room was very shabby,the walls had paint chipped out of them and there were coffee cup stains on the surfaces.The bathroom door was in serious danger of falling off and was yellow at the bottom on the inside,i can only assume that people had peed in the shower and that because there was no divide it had ran to the door.The carpets and tv were covered in dust and as for the window, well you cudn't see out of it.The double bed turned out to be 2 singles pushed together and the mattress i'm sure had been transported from prisoner cell block h.Oh and i've saved the best till last,what we thought was dirt on the walls were green snots on closer inspection.Yep you read correctly! Someone had actually picked there nose and wiped it on the walls.When we complained to the guy at reception he said,oh we'll get it cleaned for the next people that stay thanks for telling me.UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! I will never ever stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I stayed at the Ibis Liverpool City in May 2008. Was a good hotel but there where two things that let it down.

1) I got a phonecall about 3 days before arriving to confirm that I was going to be staying. Fair enough but I had already paid so not sure why they needed to re-confirm. I then got another phone call on the day of arrival again, this time asking for an approximate time of arrival. When I didn't arrive at the time stipulated (5pm) they called again asking where I was!!!!???? What's the deal with that?

2) There was a terrible smell in the hotel and at the time of writing I can still smell it in my nose!! It was a cleaning chemical I think but it was so strong it was annoying.

I would recommend this hotel as somewhere to sleep and leave, although if you want this type of hotel try the Formula 1 which is cheaper and is in the same building.

• Stayed: May 2008