ibis Liverpool Centre Albert Dock - Liverpool One
Ranked #45 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Shropshire UK
“Dire”
Reviewed 24 November 2008

This entire hotel exudes cheap and tacky. The thinnest possible carpets, slim mattress on an unsprung base, tiny towels. If all you want is a cheap bed for the night then maybe this is it but expect no comfort.. Noisy corridors with nothing to dampen the loud voices (thin carpets again with little underlay) Reception is all exposed pipework and is already beginning to look shabby. The staff were pleasant enough and it was clean and tidy. The views over Albert Dock were lovely but if I had a choice I would not be staying here again.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The carpets
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Generally I'm not one to take into consideration reviews about bad service as that is something that can vary from person to person, but, as I was travelling with my dad I wanted to make sure they had reserved a twin room so after booking online I also phoned the hotel directly and requested a twin room. On arrival we were given a double. After returning to the front desk to complain we were given a second room. This room contained a double bed and a child's fold out bed. We went back to complain again. Finally, it was resolved, we were given a twin room and free breakfast to compensate. I have to say the breakfast was great. The room itself was ok, third time lucky. Although the bathroom was a little strange, there was no ventilation and the shower drainage didn't always work very well. The location was good if you want to spend some time down at the docklands and the main bus depot is on your doorstep. However you are on a very busy main road so not all that visually pleasing when you first arrive. That aside, the restaurant/bar was of a good standard and reasonably priced so there were always people there which is good if you don't want to feel you have to creep in later in the evening.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — front desk, bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Seoul
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed here for 10 nights in succession with a big group to participate in World Firefighters Games 2008 and we were very satisfied.

The location is just great to reach tourist attractions such as Beatles Story, Cavern Club and Royal Liver Building in walking distance.

The staffs were especially very friendly and helpful to make their clients feel comfortable at home for 11 days of our stay. I'd like to recommend this hotel as a good-value budget hotel at the heart of Liverpool.

• Liked — Staff, Location
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed 22 September 2008

We had a number of twin rooms booked for a stag weekend. After a disorganised and lengthy booking in process we proceeded to our room. I was sharing with a male friend, not a very close friend. Well he is now, as we had to share a double bed. This was due to the fact they had no twin rooms available. I have worked in hotels in a few countries, so I understand sometimes mistakes are made. We were offered a camp bed. I don't know how it would have got into the room as we could only just walk around the bed! For the price we paid the room was very basic. I don't know what you could have done to make it any more basic, we did find a malteaser under our bed which was nice. Anyway, we were offered a free breakfast to compensate, at the time I thought this to be reasonable.
Breakfast was busy and disorganised, a few of our group found it difficult to get all the ingredients for a cup of tea to arrive at the same time, so resorted to making tea in the room and bringing it down for breakfast.
I was getting my breakfast, I had bacon, sausage and beans. Now, I like a bit of mustard with my sausage, I have asked a few friend and colleagues and they have agreed this is not strange or abnormal in anyway. I would normally go for English, but I'm open minded and would be happy with whole grain or even French! So, I asked Joanna I think her name was, If there was any mustard. No, was the reply. You do not have any mustard I enquired? No.
No mustard in the building? I said, thinking that maybe a delivery had been missed or there was an international mustard shortage I had missed.
No, we have mustard Joanna replied.
OK, I said a little confused. You have mustard but you can/ won't give it to me?
Don't put words in my mouth Joanna said.
Joanna, I want to understand the situation.
To be honest I have never heard of this kind of thing.
You can have ketchup or brown sauce for breakfast she said. If you asked for chips for breakfast you could not have chips for breakfast Joanna replied convinced that this was an appropriate reply to a request for mustard.
Now I can understand the logic here, although some people like chips for breakfast, and I think choice is good.
But, Joanna mustard is a condiment. I will pay you a pound for some mustard. I said. I know a pound is quite a lot of money for a dollop of mustard, but I really love the stuff.
I the found out you have 2 store rooms, one for breakfast and one for dinner. To be honest I have no interest in how organisation, restaurants store there products. I would like to have thought condiments like mustard, ketchup and brown sauce were kept in the fridge, I keep mine in the fridge. My mum likes to put them in the cupboard, and I have not been ill yet.
So, no mustard for me.
I would like to know why I can’t have mustard with my breakfast in an Ibis hotel?
I would also like to know how you feel the rates we paid for our room (Its £195 for 2 people for 2 nights) are justified?
I would like a full refund.
I would not like a discounted next stay, as I will not be staying at an Ibis hotel again.
I would like the definition of what good customer service means to you.
I would like the definition of excellent customer service.
I would like to know the level of customer service you aim for. Because from my experience it seems you aim to provide the minimum level of service possible whilst charging the maximum rate possible.

I have attached my new boyfriends comments on our stay
“That hotel was the worst I've ever stayed in.
Very disappointing for £100 quid a night. Double beds hahah, "put you up" to make do that has two springs missing. PODS for a bathroom....haha, badly organised, check-in was a farce, breakfast, basic to say the least. No cups, no spoons. Total lack of respect for the paying customer.”

I look forward to your response.

Stayed September 2008
UK
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Customer service is terrible at this Ibis. I sent an email and made FIVE telephone calls in the space of a week, and they didn't even have the courtesy to respond - booked elsewhere in the end for this very reason.

• Stayed September 2008
Austria
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Great Britain is not exactly known for being very affordable. If you do go on a combined work/holiday travel though, you want to be comfortable as we tried to be. The room was big enough, but rather basic. Container bathroom without much other than a guest soap and mounted dispenser shower gel, shelf closet without door, large bed on stilts, TV, table under the window, chair. No fridge or mini bar. If the bed is elevated for whatever reason, it would be nice if the personnel would make it a point to vacuum below it.

Upon checking in (being travel experienced) we asked the staff member on duty to make absolutely sure we did not have breakfast included. We were told in no uncertain terms it was not included and asked to come back an hour later, at one. Fine - go down to Albert Dock, back an hour later, to be told come back at two. After a rather stern reminder that we would like to be taken to an available room in this big enough hotel NOW, this was accomplished.

A one time "party" in the hallway during the night was hardly hindered by the efforts of the staff.

The morning we left and paid, we found out from the bill that breakfast would have been included all week, as a part of a special offer that went unnoticed.

In the end it was an reasonably comfortable place to stay, which could have been cleaner. If you stay there, make sure you print all information regarding your arrangement and room from their webpage. The service personnel cannot be relied on as sole source of correct information. Would probably not stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Paying for breakfast without eating it
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank twosides
hampshire
Reviewed 6 August 2008

great location and even better staff! all very polite, welcoming and helpful. all with very positive attitides and clearly loving their jobs...no wonder there were so many people of all ages enjoying the bar on one evening and all very smart in dress.

nothing was too much trouble and that also goes for the cleanliness of the room... totally spotless and serviced daily....clean towels and bins emptied plus surfaces wiped if even a coffee mark was left by accident.

why cant all low cost hotels (or even more expensive ones for that matter!) be like this..The beds (twins) both very hard though so just make sure you are ok for that.....

i think the breakfast buffet could have been a little more diverse as not a great deal of choice, though excellent quality for the range that was there and when included in the cost, brilliant.... fruit a little limited though muesli and yogarts in plenty suppy so fabe!

the location of hotel just perfect whether you are a walker or not as lots very close by and gorgeous docklands opposite.

i will be back before xmas and only hope with more good reviews they dont put the price up!

it is my second ibis stay and the first in birmingham no comparison....this was VERY good!

• Liked — cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — hard beds
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family