“A very small world”

Ranked #24 of 213 things to do in Liverpool
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: World Museum Liverpool is a fantastic family day out! Over five free floors explore: the aquarium and the Treasure House Theatre; the natural world in the Clore Natural History Centre and Bug House; the human world in the World Cultures gallery and Weston Discovery Centre; the earth with dinosaurs and animals from around the world; and space and time through scientific instruments and the Planetarium. There are also two cafés and two shops.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 29 August 2014

As somebody has already mentioned this has been designed just for children; so given it's free this makes a great family day out in the school holidays. I must admit the most impressive parts were the stairs and the lifts, because most of the exhibits were geared towards children, and therefore most adults would not learn anything new.

Having walked all the way to the fifth floor to see the space exhibits, after 5 minutes I was bored and took the lift down; after a further five minute wait.

2  Thank Philip S
There are newer reviews for World Museum

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Every floor is crammed full of interesting stuff and you can easily spend a good few hours before you realise how long you've been in there! Lockers next to the entrance for if you had big bags like we did, and plenty of floors to find your fancy.
Would recommend, lots.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

If you don't have kids then don't bother coming here. Even just after walking through the main entrance I turned round to my friend and said "this is like a Wacky Warehouse".
I can understand it being full of parents & children as it is geared totally towards young kids and it is free to get in, so it's a good place to spend a few hours for families. But if you don't have children then it is really dismal and somewhat uncomfortable as you can see parents looking at you as if you shouldn't be there because you don't have kids. You know, I might just want to go to the museum because I like history - is that okay ??
Some of the rooms are very dark and this makes it difficult to read the descriptions of the exhibits. I can understand the Egyptian room being dimmed as the light may be damaging to the ancient objects & mummies, but why was the space & time room so dark?
Some parts of the museum haven't been refurbished for a long time - the rain forest section is EXACTLY the same as it was when I visited it as a child 35-40 years ago.
It seems as though the majority of the money used to transform the old museum into this 'World' museum was spent on the central staircase and even that isn't that good.
The cafe is very basic and the 'picnic area' is an indoors room with no windows - it's like a staff canteen.
I know the aquarium has always been in this museum, but along with the 'bugs' (an awful Americanism - we call them 'insects') surely they belong in a zoo, not a museum?
In all, I felt terrifically let down by my visit and I was glad to get out of the place. Not recommended by me.

2  Thank alexscott6767
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This is my favourite museum to go to in Liverpool as it is full of fun things to see and do. The museum has an aquarium and bug section and also the more generic museum stuff like dinosaurs. This is a fun day out for all ages and worth going to, especially as it is free to get in.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We travelled by train to lime street station and the museum was a short walk away. There was plenty to see, really great place and very well laid out. Thee is a cafe which is good value. Very pleased we visited and would definitely recommend going.

1  Thank Alan H