“Disappointed”

Ranked #40 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Inspite of other T/A reviews I found The Royal only average in terms of food and accommodation - the room was OK, bed comfy, the en suite awkward, breakfast disappointing, the staff friendly and the views good. The public areas generally seemed tired and the restaurant chairs certainly in need of refurbishment. The marble lobby was sticky to walk on. There was a problem with the wifi connection. The radiators and banisters were being used for airing the laundry!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This Hotelis right across the road from Crosby Beach and about a 20 minute walk from the Leisure Centre.
Booked the hotel through the works website and it was well under budget- Always a little scary, booking a cheap hotel.
The hotel is a listed building so does not have a lift.
my room was on the first floor with a Sea View. The room was a little smaller than the ones at the back and had a double bed, not queen. My mate needs a queen, so I think that is why she did not have a queen bed. I always ask for a quiet room. This hotel is really quiet as it is in a residential area. I did not even need my ear plugs.
Check in was smooth and the receptionist was very informative with regards to the hotel policy.
Room- Lovely view of Crosby Beach- Light and airy.
Bathroom- Really large with complimentary shampoo etc, replenished daily- The soap was also replenished each day- Not sure why and I did mention this on my survey. Towels large, fluffy and white.
Tea Tray- Loads of tea bags, coffee etc- The tea bags are sourced locally, along with the luxury bikkie- Again re stocked daily.
Dinner- Had dinner in the Hotel Restaurant on both nights and I must agree with contactabigail, the staff do make the place, but I think that is just the friendly attitude of Liverpudlians. Nothing was too much trouble for the restaurant, bar staff or receptionist. All food well cooked and came out hot and at the same time for all 4 of us.
Breakfast was cooked to order. 2 of my colleagues had full english, which they said was lovely. I had cereal and boiled eggs. My other colleague had porrige, which was not to her liking, but a little extra milk was all that was needed. Thanks to Bex, the reception, bar and restaurant staff and not forgetting Steve "who thinks a shirt makes him a manager" Moore for making our stay a memorable one- Especially our trip to see the Iron Men- No more said about that!!! Will definitely stay here again on our next works trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View Room. No lifs so not suitable for people with mobility problems. Lovely outside a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Botica1526
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Honestly - the staff here MAKE the place. The food is good, the room is nice (could do with a bigger bed!) but the staff well and truly make up for any deficiencies this hotel might have. They're young and fun and go out of their way to make sure you're happy and your needs are met. Enjoyed our stay! :)

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank contactabigail
liverpool
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Visited this week for a meal, the service from the staff to the quality of the food where excellent, have visited South Road in Waterloo many times but this hidden gem just a couple of minutes away is well worth a visit. All the staff are polite, courteous and attentive, it reminded me of how many hotels such as The Adelphi would have been run in their heyday before they where taken over by the larger hotel groups. The hotel is nicely decorated throughout, our food orders where taken prior to being led into the dining room which gave them time to prepare them before we where seated. The service was prompt, food excellent and large portions well cooked. The bar meals looked equally appetising and we will visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank noelLiverpool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I got a deal from Living Social Deals for a two course meal for four people. Myself and three friends went a few weeks ago to use the voucher. What a wonderful evening. The food was excellent, the service was attentive and it all made for a great evening. The restaurant manager, I think his name was Steve, was a real credit to the hotel. His customer service skills are outstanding. I've always found The Royal to be of a high standard, Two of my friends have never been there before and they were very impressed. We shall be back very soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
corby
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped for one night and although my room overlooked a brick wall and courtyard I wasn't there to spend my time looking out of the window so that wasn't a problem for me. Breakfast was first rate with the food freshly cooked, decent tea and a very pleasant server. Bar had a good range of beers and comfortable seating too. One of the bar staff made us a couple of lattes which put Costa to shame, they were first rate. Never had any problems and would revisit. Wifi can be erratic upstairs but ok in the bar.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked a short break in June, and decided to add an extra night at short notice, they explained it would have to be a different room to the one booked and apologised for it. On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful, On our room change day they offered to move our luggage for us. The food in the bar was excellent and we though great value, portions were quite big. Although the restaurant menu is not much different to the bar, it was served in a relaxed manner so worth the little extra. We could not fault anything at the Royal and we are looking to return sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Ask for an estuary view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple