“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Hotel
Ranked #41 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

A group of us stayed here when in Liverpool for a funeral and I cannot recommend it highly enough. All the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. The evening bar food menu was superb, well-cooked, tasty and beautifully presented and the breakfast was the same. There is also a restaurant in the hotel which we did not use but the staff offered to make up a table large enough for us all. The bedrooms were clean and well-equipped and it was lovely to be able to make a cup of tea in the morning. I am surprised this hotel only has a 3* rating as I would rate it 4*. It isn't too far from the city centre and is also family-friendly. We would stay there again any time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GordonDirector, Director at Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2010
Thank you for your review, we aim to please and all feedback is acted upon

Regards
Gordon Tartt
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
North West
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

Good Say but beds need duvets not outdated bedsheets. 2nd stay here and heating still an issue turn it down! Great Breakfast and service good.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments.

We are currently looking at Duvets for the Hotel, however our current Laundry supplier does not offer the crisp white quality we require as our bed sheets are now.

We will continue to improve our hotel

Regards
Gordon Tartt
Director
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

came up here to see my daughter. Again for the 2nd time we stayed at The Royal Hotel we asked for The hougoumont lodge which we got check in nice and friendly a young man working on the bar helped us with our bags. This time it was our turn to treat our daughter to a meal as last time she paid. So we booked a table for four in there restaurant and the meal & service was fantastic i had king prawns for starter then tournedos rossini could not fault it at all.It had a great atmosphere for a friday night then in to the bar for a nice relaxing drink . Many thanks again 9& a half out of 10

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

i arrived at this hotel around the last week of august 2008. The gentleman in reception offered me a single room at a very good rate. I arrived to my room i found it very small, However it was spotless clean and i was happy with that. The hotel is in a very nice location of Crosby. I would agree with other reviews that the staff could not do enough to help they were always very friendly. The hotel is only about 10 min by taxi to the centre of liverpool and the taxis are very reasonable.I had to leave my hotel over the weekend due to prior bookings which i totally understand. I booked into Jurys Inn in the centre of Liverpool and i have to say the staff were not as helpful or friendly as this hotel.I am hoping to get back to Liverpool in a few weeks time and look forward to booking the Royal Hotel for my stay

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2009

I can't claim that I really expected an awful lot from this place, and I suppose that's exactly what I got.

Check-in was swift and problem free, although the clerk's patronising tone was uncalled for (I am visually impaired, and my colleague was asked whether I would be okay on the second floor - I am perfectly capable of answering for myself).

The room was spacious, although the fittings were rather on the tatty side. The television inparticular had a very poor reception, and it seemed impossible, however I tried, to get the set-top box to "talk" to it. The single radiator in the room seemed to be venting must of its heat straight out the window, leaving the room on the chilly side.

The bathroow was very basic, although it was a fair side. The complimentaries were restricted to soap (no shampoo, etc), there was no heating, and the sash window was decidedly leaky. Worst of all, after running half a bath or scorching hot water I found that turning the cold tap completely failed to produce any water. After some effort turning it this way and that I eventually resorted to topping up with cold water from the shower. It somehow seemed wrong to complain about there being too much hot water, but it wasn't ideal.

The bar downstairs, though of a good size and with comfortable seating, wasn't really up to much - with no ales on at all. I didn't look at the bar or restaurant menus, and we instead went for a couple of drinks and a good Greek meal nearby.

I had a fairly good night's sleep, although the room was very cold by the morning. Breakfast was basic, and the service even more so. Unspecial food was plonked down in front of my colleagues and I without ceremony - or a word from the staff, and when one of us asked for more orange juice to be put out, the staff failed to use their initiative and bring some to the table.

Check-out was uneventful.

Overall, an okay hotel, so long as you don't expect anything special, and I have definitely experienced better for the price (see my review of The Sun Hotel and Bar in Lancaster, where we stayed the previous night).

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
tyne and wear
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

Stayed in this Hotel for two nights. Asked for a wake up call for 7.15 next morning only to be woken up at 8.05 by a guy asking if we had received our wake-up call. Tried to have a shower but the water just trickled out of the showerhead. Didn't have time to report it as we were running really late for Christening due to lack of wake-up call so reported it next morning along with the fact that the juccuzi did not work, was told that he didn't know how it worked and proceeded to take our £199 that it cost to stay there. So unhelpful on check-out so emailed hotel when I returned home. As of yet still not had any reply from hotel.My advice- don't stay at this hotel, you can get the same price hotel in the city centre and you will probably get better service............

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank jojalot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
Park Hotel
#56 of 99 in Liverpool
Sefton Park
The Mountford Hotel
The Mountford Hotel
#21 of 99 in Liverpool
Central Liverpool
The Richmond, BW Premier Collection

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!