“Highway men usually wear masks”
Review of The Punchbowl

The Punchbowl
Ranked #701 of 1,918 Restaurants in Liverpool
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sefton Park
Description: Country Pub serving great food and drinks also 100 seater beer garden.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went for lunch. Plenty of parking. Nicely set out tables. Large outdoor eating area, just a bit too cold outdoors for us. I ordered fish & chips, bit pricey at £11.50 but nice enough. ( cant really go wrong though with fish & chips). Friends ordered burger and pie and chips. Both enjoyed. Now is when it went downhill. Cappochinos were cold & had to be replaced, even then not fantastically warmer. I then ordered a bottle of diet coke- £2.50. Yes £2.50. I normally pay 95p in my local for same product. Soda was free but lime & soda was 75p!!!!!!!!! Are you serious. 75p for a shot of lime. I could have bought a bottle of lime for less than that. Dick Turpin would have been at home in this place. Definately will not be returning. Food was ok but nothing special but the cost of drinks alone will not make me return.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I've just been for tea with my friend as we wanted a catchup. I haven't been here for quite a long time and i think they must have a new chef. The meal was gorgeous. We both cleared our plates, which was unusual because my friend doesn't have a big appetite. I had salmon and spring onion fishcakes, even one of the other diners remarked how lovely it looked. It was delicious. My friend is vegetarian so she had roast vegetable tart, which made me quite jealous that i hadn't ordered it when it arrived as it looked so good! She said it was gorgeous. The staff were friendly and helpful and we didn't wait long for our meal. I would seriously go back there.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Disgraceful
My friends and i visited this establishment this evening and had a very poor meal and an even poorer experience with the management.
I ordered the chickpea and aubergine burger on the set evening menu for 14.50 which included a dessert. The burger was very dry and the bread roll was so hard and stale that i thought id left my teeth behind in it. I had a large baldy space on my plate where it looked as though something was missing ie salad or veg and the chips were disgusting and so frazzled they just had grease and fresh air in the middle. My friends meals were also appauling and whilst i was in a conversation with people on the next table who had left their chips also, the assistant manager came over and started a confrontation with me in front of the customers. I said i was not paying the full price of 14.50 for our meals and explained why. The evidence was on our plates. The staff said they would charge 11.50 off lunch set menu price and give free desserts and a coffee. When the dessert arrived it was a miniscual portion and was told we had been given a lunch time size which was smaller. This was supposed to be free off the 14 50 menu and in reality they charged for the lunch menu and dished up accordingly. I am many things but stupidity is not one of the. In a nutshell GIVE IT A MISS !
J WARD WALTON LPOOL.

1  Thank jenny w
Reviewed 1 June 2018

We visited on a Friday afternoon, the pub wasn't busy and served at the bar quickly. We ordered a British Burger and a Spiced Chickpea, Aubergine and Spinach Burger. The food took about 30 mins to arrive and I immediately noticed that the small "salad" looked past it's us by date. I pointed this out and the plate was taken for 5 mins and returned to me with what looked like the same chopped vegetables with a few of the brown bits removed. I was hungry and decided to give the burger a chance. The burger did not come in a "Rustic Roll" but was between two slices of bread with crusts removed and it was not dressed with a spiced red pepper sauce or anything else - it was dry. The chips were greasy and mostly burned hollow shells and I left the meal. My partner said the meat burger was chewy, the fries were cold and I could see that the onion rings were burned and greasy. Neither of us are fussy eaters but the food was not as described and very poor quality

2  Thank LynnS1960
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Dined at the Punchbowl today for Sunday lunch and enjoyed the staff as much as the food they were lovely ...considering The Punchbowl is part of a chain was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food ...was it like my mother’s no but a good placed second..big shout out to Natalie & Kate for your engagement and service we’ll be back.