“A beautifully and sympathetically adapted building.”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #48 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Although I live fairly locally, I needed an overnight stay near to a social function to avoid high taxi fares or driving after drinking. I chose the Crowne Plaza to renew an acquaintance with a building I first visited when it was still Liverpool Airport Terminal in the 1950s !!
Much of the exterior appearance has been preserved, and the extensions have been completed sympathetically to the Art Deco styling.
Reception was good, and the room was sumptuous. The Room facilities were excellent, and the bed was so comfortable, I was lucky to rise before the generous check-out time !!
The Bar service was warm and friendly, and the Snack Menu and food were good.
Again, breakfast service in the Restaurant was friendly and the staff attentive.

A good experience which I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone, and use again myself.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

What to do when you have a 1930's hotel? Keep it as an antique museum piece or modernise?
Well if you are going to stay in the 30's, you still need to make sure it's up to standard.
No musty smells, a shower that works, heating that works, beds that support, furniture that's not tired, lack of sound proofing, etc
Unfortunately this hotel has all of these problems and makes no attempt to address them.
Personally I can live with this for a one night holiday "experience" - not so good on a business trip when you just want the functional.
That said, everything else works well but the overall customer experience is lacking

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I've stayed here on a number of occasions and it's certainly come a long way in terms of customer service since the bad old days when it was a Marriot. Positives are that the beds are super comfortable, the food/wine is generally good (but very expensive, I sometime head to the M&S express over the road, the retail park is very good for shopping!) I can always get a good hot bath and a decent nights sleep here. Plenty of parking and as long as you are not in the exec rooms overlooking the old airfield not much noise from planes. I like room 208. The only drawback came when I accidentally booked into the city centre crowne plaza - more expensive and the parking charges are a rip off but oh boy that hotel is truly excellent. But if I was paying myself I'd probably take this one.

Room Tip: Avoid exec suites at the back of the hotel - I found the lights/noise too much. 208 etc face onto in...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I'm not the sort of traveller who's had his head very much in the 5 star clouds, neither in the 4 star ones either, however I'd travelled enough on road trips and holidays to take some rewards nights with an ICH hotel and explore somewhere I've never been - Liverpool. And I chose the Crowne Plaza, based on some good reviews I'd seen here and because of the 5000 point reward night rate!

Some things to note then. First, we were charged for the car park, which, though not extortionate, is unnecessary. If the argument of "security" is given, let me point out that though needing a ticket to exit, they leave the entrance barrier open. I was also charged for our newspapers. Having been to Crowne Plazas where these are complimentary (to Priority Club members) I was annoyed when they showed on the bill - we would not have had them if we were informed of the charge when asked which newspaper we wanted at check in!

To the room [288]. It was a poor example for the Crowne Plaza chain. Smells of damp I'm afraid. Couldn't locate the source either - it wouldn't be from a bathroom upstairs as this was the top floor. Nicely decorated bathroom but paint flaking off the ceiling. Awful sleep due to the very springy saggy bed. We moved the double mattress onto the floor for the last night to give our backs some rest. Much better! I would suggest that the hotel replaces the sprung divans with solid ones. Art deco features were very nice, though the furnishings were tired. The desk chair was unacceptable, with the knackered leather literally breaking at the seams. Room safe fine, all other features of the room in working order.

I want to give this hotel more but can't. The only plus points were that the cleaning staff kept it immaculate and the sports facilities (courtesy of David Lloyds) next door are excellent. Maybe I had a bad room, but as a chain or an individual hotel you shouldn't be giving bad rooms to rewards nights guests? Or maybe you get what you pay for!! Hehe.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear spitfiremkh,

Thank you for your candid review. We appreciate your loyalty as our priority club member. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests a great experience at all times and I would like you to rest assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you and rest assured your comments have been shared accordingly.

We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel
in the not too distant future so that we can provide you with a true Crowne Plaza experience.

Lin S.
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occassions and always found it excellent in all aspects. The last time I stayed was for a Christmas event and when we settled up the bill and gave in our parking ticket we were charged for overnight parking. We all thought this outrageous as we were patrons of the hotel and it was their private car park. We would have shared cars or parked somewhere else if we had known. We feel this is not good practice on for the hotel as all other aspects would have lead to us recomending the hotel highly to others.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in have been up to a very good standard.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This hotel is the refurbished original airport building, and the building itself is a treasure, sympathetically refurbished, with the bathrooms particularly having retained their art deco features. I wanted to give it a higher mark, but I was unimpressed with the cleanliness and attention to detail in the room. It was dusty in places, the box of tissues in the dispenser was empty, there was no soap and there was a sharp staple on the floor of the bathroom which would have been very painful to step on. While the heating in the room was very effective the bathroom seemed to have no heating at all which made it freezing to visit the toilet. Bed comfortable but some would find it quite soft and it sagged in the middle.
Is expensive for what it is especially considering the deals you can get at smart hotels in the centre of Liverpool.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at the hotel in Dec 2011 for just under a week. The housekeeping & reception staff were lovely, they are an asset to their company. The hotel is nicely styled in Art Deco which was a great touch and is quite near to the airport. Only thing I didn't like about our hotel was the room heating wasn't very efficient so I did feel a little cold at times even with the thermostat turned up to the max. That said it was very cold outside (hail storms!) during our visit. I would definitely recommend the hotel and would go back again. If you enjoy shopping there's even a large retail park opposite with all the high st names so if you're limited on time you don't even have to go to town!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple