“Better and Worse Crowne Plaza's Out There”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #47 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Glasgow
“Better and Worse Crowne Plaza's Out There”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Having stayed here for the first time in September I found it to be ok but certainly not as good as other Crowne Plaza Hotels.

Was pleased to see the car park wasnt been charged for, not sure if this is a limited offer as the website says they charge, but welcome for free anyway.

Rooms were reasonably good, although not particularly modern but in good condition. The curtains are the worst bit and look like someone has been smoking a lot in the room, very discoloured yellow and need replaced quickly

Now on to the things that annoyed me

Despite being in a club room I found the Club Lounge locked way before its closing time in the evening, not happy at all as this is one main CP benefit. No visible exec room benefits either.

The food menu in the bar was pretty good, wide range, but the food itself wasnt very good. Item ordered coming in a totally different manner to the description on the menu, when I asked a staff member he replied "oh it always comes like that" so either the menu is wrong or the staff are wrong but it led to me not eating most of it.

The room rate was reasonable for CP and in the area, so id probably come back as it has a pretty good location and has a massive retail park with places to eat etc right across the road.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear jase_2,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we are sorry to hear about the food served in the restaurant that did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
North Wales
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed for one night at the Crowne Plaza to celebrate my husbands 53rd birthday and from the moment we arrived at reception staff could not be friendlier. The receptionist was lovely and interested - wishing my husband a happy birthday and asking where we were celebrating and saying what a good choice of restaurant and comedy club we had chosen. She had been to both and she was right. The only other staff we had dealings with were at breakfast they were all helpful and efficient - well done to you for employing such great staff - we will be back. Thank you also for making his birthday special - the surprises were much appreciated x

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank your for your review of our hotel, I and my team are very glad to have helped your Husband celebrate his 53rd Birthday I do hope that you choose to return to celebrate his 54th!
Please do not hesitate to contact myself to make any future reservations.

gsm.cpliverpool@kewgreen.co.uk
uk
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed for one night on a "stay, dinner and park" deal on 15th August 2013 with my husband and son. The hotel is beautiful with many original Art Deco features. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Our deal included an evening meal with was advertised as "a delicious 3 course meal". Well, we arrived for dinner to be told there was a set 3 course menu or a £15 credit off the main menu. The set menu was a joke - shepherds pie for dinner in a 4* hotel? We both had ham, eggs and chips which was best of a poor choice, and they couldn't even get that right. All in all it was disappointing and we felt, not as advertised. I would stay again but wouldn't eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I would like to assure you that your feedback has been passed on to all relevant departments, and your points have been taken on board.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I don't ever write reviews as I'd never had a real cause to provide a public feedback. Unfortunately, I now have reason to do the above in the aftermath of our very first and possibly last visit to Liverpool. My family and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend of 14/15 September mainly because my sons wanted to see the plane graveyard in the parking lot. On Sunday, 15th September, we departed and at Lime Street station, I discovered that I had left my 7 year-old son's swatch wrist watch and bracelet in the bathroom. I had taken them off the previous night before getting him in the shower. The wrist watch was monetarily valuable but the bead bracelet was more sentimental than costly. I sent an email as soon as I arrived in London asking for both items to be forwarded to me, at my cost if necessary. Well, guess what? Nothing was found in the bathroom or bedroom. I had read about the 'non-recovery' of items in this hotel but decided to carry on to London as I was so sure no one could deny locating the items; well, more fool me. This is a call-out - WARNING, if you like - to other potential guests not to assume that left items will be recovered from this hotel. Even as I write this, I still cannot believe the hotel would deny the existence of items I know were there. I am utterly shocked. I normally stay in hotels at least 2ce a month but never again will I darken this hotel's door with my presence. In fact, I won't be returning to Liverpool anytime soon. My son thinks the same.

Room Tip: Find another hotel to stay in.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank phoebe s s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear phoebe s s,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your interactions with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We would like to look further into your experience, and have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to being of further assistance.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed prior to flying out, the price included parking for upto 15 days. For the past 4years we have stayed at the Hilton across the road from the terminal but after seeing some photos of the Crowne Plaza thought we would give it a try. Not al all disappointed.
The hotel was really nicely decorated some lovely in an art deco style. The rooms were very spacious (ground floor) and well furnished.
A bonus was being able to use the David Lloyd centre next door. Reception provided a towel and a padlock to use on the lockers!
We didn't have breakfast as we had to check in at 05.00 but did have something to eat on the evening we stayed. Not a fantastic choice but reasonably priced. My only criticism for the food would be not a particularly healthy option and poor choice for vegies.
I was a little concerned about the parking at the rear of the hotel after reading previous reviews. We arrived after midnight to find the gates locked. Our taxi driver drove us around to the front. However when I went in to ask about access I was told that a member of staff had already left to open the gates. Apparently when they see a taxi drive around some one rushes out to open the gates. (obviously not quick enough for our driver!). The 'gate opener' met me and took me throught the hotel rather than my having to walk around the building at night. He also waited until I was in the car before leaving. When I drove around to the front he was waiting there to load the cases into the car........
The staff (all of whom we met) were fantastic, pleasant, helpful and professional . I really cant fault this hotel I only wish I'd booked the night of our return. The taxi to the airport - I used a local mini cab rather than a black cab and was pleased to find that it was the grand total of £3.80 for each trip - pretty good value as the return trip was after midnight.
ps I've ticked the box for breakfast by mistake !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you for your most complimentary review of our hotel, I have shared your feedback regarding healthy options with our New Executive chef and he has taken this on board.

I hope to welcome you back to stay with us before and after your next holiday!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here for a business trip in the second week of September and it was a thoroughly enjoyable stay. It was my first time to Liverpool and I was greeted with a smile and a soft scouse accent. Welcome to Liverpool! The hotel is absolutely beautiful and decor is top notch. There is historical aviation things around the place but not overbearing. All the staff I encountered were all scousers which was suprising as Ive stayed in Manchester and Gatwick a few times and rarely spoke to someone with a local accent. Staff were polite, helpful and courteous. The double room I had was fantastic, the bed and pillows soft and the bathroom spotless. The breakfast buffet was a nice choice and the WIFI was good. Overall a nice place to stay on a business trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JSL75
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing a warm welcome and a home from home for those guests who need travel for their business. Thank you again for your kind comments.

I do hope to welcome you back soon and maybe we could teach you some Scouse!

Scotland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a weekend in late June. The reception staff were extremely helpful and friendly, very informative.

We stayed in a corner room at the front on the 2nd floor (I think). The room was spacious, very clean, bed large and comfy, etc., The only thing that was odd was that only one pack of hot chocolate was ever put on the refreshments tray - strange.

Breakfast is buffet and there is an extensive choice. Again, the staff couldn't have been more pleasant. It is a lovely breakfast room and very relaxed.

The hotel is quite interesting because the interior décor reflects the art deco style of the building, not something I usually like, but in this case very well done. No problem with the curtains on the huge curved window in our room. They closed properly which was just as well because it was unseasonably cold that weekend with a howling wind which blew threw the windows which the staff had helpfully opened to air the room! :-)

A couple of things which came to light afterwards, however, marred our stay.
1) We paid upfront for our 2 night stay, but, when checking our bank statement afterwards, we found an extra charge upwards of £70 had been charged to us. This was eventually refunded after several contacts with the hotel, but, there was no explanation for the charge against our room;

and for future guest information, be warned,

2) Vehicle registered at reception upon arrival. As we left the car park for a day out, I noticed that the car park was operated by ParkingEye Ltd. Because of past experience, on our return to the hotel, checked with reception that we would not be charged for parking and did so again when checking out the following day. Within a week we had a demand for a ridiculous amount of money from ParkingEye. This involved contacting the hotel again and a few emails to have it cancelled by that company.

Had I realised that ParkingEye had anything to do with this hotel, the booking would never have been made in the first place. This is the second experience of registering a vehicle whilst staying in a hotel and then having an unwarranted demand from that company. It is probably best to ignore these companies and just not respond to them, but, we thought the hotel should be made aware of the annoyance and aggravation caused to some guests.

Note: Check the parking arrangements at hotels and establish who operates their car park before deciding to book. Parking is free for guests at this hotel (on a two night stay anyway).
My policy is not to use a hotel where guest parking is charged.

Basically, we were happy with the hotel and staff during our stay. Shame about the administrative problems afterwards.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you positive comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Crowne plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I sincerely apologize for the administrative challenges you faced after you left the hotel. We have been using the Parkingeye company for 3 months now and I appreciate your comments towards the company as a hotel team we do our up most to ensure our guests register their car with us on arrival and if there are any errors that we rectify them in a timely manner.

I hope to welcome you back soon.