“Fantastic Stay, Amazing Building”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #48 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport last night. I paid £56 for a room which I considered excellent value for a Saturday night, albeit one close to Xmas when they are generally a bit cheaper than normal.

The Airport isn't actually next to John Lennon Airport, it's slightly further down Speke Boulevard heading towards Liverpool (don't make the mistake I did of driving straight to the Airport!). The hotel itself occupies the building which used to be Speke Airport before the modern airport was built - and what an amazing old building it is! Full of character, art deco style, I love it when you see old buildings repurposed like this. It has it's own Wikipedia page which is quite interesting if you want to know about the history of it.

Parking was included in the price for guests in the hotel. Check in was very quick. I was given the option of 600 IHG points or a free drink and snack at the bar - normally I'd go for the points (I collect these almost obsessively) but I opted for the drink and snack because I was feeling peckish. I ordered a sandwich while I was at the bar which was great value at £6.95. The staff at the bar were particularly friendly.

I didn't use the gym but the room was amazing. I was given a free upgrade as I'm IHG Platinum so I was on the second floor. I really can't fault the room. The bed was unbelievably comfy and very large. The room had a desk and lots of storage space. It was finished to a very high standard. The only fault I have is that the lounge on the second floor was closed for refurbishment, but I'm not knocking a star off the review just because of that.

I've paid more money for hotels which are less well equipped. I would definitely stay here again, however, I would not stay here if I wanted to stay in Liverpool because it is on the outskirts. Excellent for the airport though.

If you stay here have a look in the car park behind the back of the hotel during the day - some amazing old planes are hidden behind there!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. We are extremely proud of our hotel building and it's heritage. Our Club Lounge will be re-open on Monday 13th January after essential maintenance work has been completed.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Took a special offer of Winter Wonderland evening Christmas party and overnight stay with breakfast.

Check in was quick and easy. The hotel has been very well designed around the existing features of the old airport building.

Our room was very well equipped, clean and very comfortable, definitely a 4 star room. Bed was superb, with a choice of pillows. Complimentary mineral water in addition to usual tea/coffee and biscuits.

The Winter Wonderland set meal was excellent, quality ingredients and well presented. Entertainment was good cheesy disco.

Bar prices are what you would expect of a 4 star hotel but not outrageous.

Not the fault of the hotewl, but there was a disturbance from a very rowdy group of drunk guests at around 3 a.m.

Had to wait about 5 minutes to be checked in for breakfast, even though at least 2 of the staff knew we were waiting. Breakfast itself was very good, with a comprehensive selection available. Also had to chase up the requested tea and coffee.

For what we paid, the stay was superb and thoroughly enjoyable..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport, your positive comments have been passed to all concerned.

We will be offering similar events throughout the year please do not hesitate to contact the hotel for our diary of events.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was looking forward to staying and the Crown Plaza and I wasn't disappointed. Nicely restored old art deco airport terminal building with a number of old planes dotted around to complete the atmosphere. The rooms are a good size with nice decor. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. There was tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc in the room along with complimentary still and sparkling water. Very nice bathroom in art deco style. There was a free safe in the room. There was one dressing gown and one pair of slippers?? Guess I could have asked for another one if I had wanted to? I asked for and was promised a room overlooking the old airfield but was given one overlooking some gardens. After speaking to reception I was given a key to another room which this time did overlook the airfield.

We didn't eat at hotel so cannot comment on the food. For breakfast we went to a Toby Carvery which was just a few minutes drive away.

WiFi was chargeable at £12.95 which in my opinion was too expensive. Great shame as it would have been useful for us. Instead we used 3G, hotspots in Liverpool city area and next door. Maybe WiFi was charged as our double room for myself and my Husband only cost £60 per night which I thought was very reasonable considering the good standard of the hotel and the facilities of the David Lloyd Club next door which we had free access to. We only used the David Lloyd Club on one evening. The pool was rather cold so I just used the Jacuzzi. My Husband used the pool and the Sauna. Afterwards we used their free WiFi.

Parking was free and there was plenty of it you just need to give Reception your car registration number or you might get a parking ticket.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and if ever I return to visit Liverpool I would certainly consider staying here again despite not having free WiFi.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

I am very pleased that you would recommend our hotel and stay with us again.

Myself and my team look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Working is Speke, I needed somewhere to stay with a budget. A friend recommended the Crowne Plaza and I'm very grateful.
Built on the site of the old Liverpool terminal building (parts of the original are incorporated in the design) you feel a part of aviation history - and I wasn't even flying anywhere!
I was greeted by the friendliest reception girl ever, with a smile and background to the building etc. Her pride in representing the Hotel radiated from her.

My room was superb, relaxing, comfortable, bright and included an aromatherapy kit to aid a good nights sleep.

The food was very good, I had room service, the food arrived piping hot in under the promised time.

Would I stay again? Yes, yes. yes!!!! All for under £65per night B&B.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. Your positive comments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed here a few times whilst enjoying a night out in Liverpool. I have always found it to be clean and well presented. Plenty of parking and the reception staff are friendly and helpful. Good service in the bars too. Nice big beds and good showers! I'm back this weekend for 2 nights and for a staff party so I can review again afterwards!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I am sure that a great time will be had by all at your Christmas Party here!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Was booked into this hotel for business in the area, what a fantastic iconic place, this is the old Liverpool airport terminal, famous for the Beetles and the Pope !.
fantastic staff, décor is really good, rooms are maybe the best and cleanest I have stayed in, the beds again maybe best night sleep I've had. day pass to David Lloyds gym next door, excellent restaurant on site and next door. very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. The whole team are very proud of the hotel and committed to providing the best service to ours guests every day.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here on a Friday and for the most part the hotel was great.
Check in was slightly delayed but the staff were very friendly and got everything sorted without fuss. My car was registered and I wasn't charged for parking.
The room was spacious and clean and the bed was fabulously comfortable.
The bathroom was all clean and tidy except for behind the door where someone had missed with the mop!
I had dinner in the bar and again the staff were super - welcoming and cheerful and very prompt.
I just ordered a burger, but it was well cooked and in lovely fresh bread. The only exception that the chips were on the greasy side as though they had been sitting in the oil a little too long. I was also very surprised to see sachets of sauces - for a 4* hotel, I did not expect those. I understand they are practical, but a bottle or a dish would have looked better.

Breakfast was fantastic. I was down quite late, but as I went in, the chef came out with fresh hot dishes. It was all buffet style and the selection was super. plenty of fresh fruit and yoghurts, pastries and cereals.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport for your recent visit to Liverpool. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your feedback regarding the condiments have been passed to our Food and Beverage Manager.