“Lovely hotel, friendly staff”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #46 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Beautiful Art Deco hotel. Shops across the road (M&S, Boots, Next etc). We chose this as we were attending a birthday party nearby. There are frequent buses into Liverpool City Centre from outside the hotel. Breakfast was good - the usual well stocked buffet that typifies CP hotels. Only gripe was the toast machine that burns toast. But that's a very minor quibble. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the corridor have large curving windows that add light & space.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I am pleased that you found our hotel accessible for your needs.
I am sorry that you had a setback with our toaster at breakfast please be assured that we have staff on hand that can assist you with this for your future stays.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My Partner and I booked 4 nights in this hotel through Lastminute.com it didn't get off to a very good start as I booked it as a mystery Hotel and when the reservation confirmation came through it was not the hotel described online. I contacted Lastminute and they said it was a error and would look into it. I received an email to say that if I wanted I could cancel it & choose another hotel free of charge (even though it wasn't my error in the first place) if so I needed to let them know in 24 hours. As we had already paid and it seemed a fair price we decided to leave it as it was and forego the hassle.
We arrived late in the evening after a long journey travelling by train & plane from South Netherlands only to find that the hotel didn't have our booking, after searching the receptionist found it under cancelled bookings she did not know why it had been cancelled and it was too late to contact Lastminute they were shut. Luckily the hotel had one room left for our 4 nights so we took it. Because she had no payment details she said she would have to charge our card again, it was now late so we didn't have much choice hoping we could get it sorted on our return, there was no sympathy or apology from the receptionist.
We booked the Executive lounge for breakfast which was very good and the young lad who served us was lovely, chatty,friendly and nothing was any trouble he even went down stairs & got us poached eggs on toast & beans. On the 2nd day we slept in so didn't have breakfast( ended up in Costa for brunch) so we went to reception & told them. We said we would have breakfast in the main restaurant on the 3rd day,As the previous person has mentioned in the hotel restaurant there were a lot of tables that needed clearing and the gentleman next to us asked to be moved due to cold air conditioning. On the 4th day we didn't have breakfast, late again, so went to the diner next door where it turns out you can have a breakfast for £5 including coffee refills ...wish we had known this before!.
We used the spa in the hotel next door, the receptionist at the Crowne Plaza should of given us 2 passes but we were only given one but David Lloyd staff sorted it.
We eventually contacted Lastminute they said they hadn't cancelled the booking but they said they would refund us. After getting back home Lastminute told us that the hotel cancelled it because they didn't have any rooms even though they gave us one...strange. No one sent us a email to say it had been cancelled either way.
When we checked out we were charged £14.95 each for our breakfasts when we challenged this we were then told that you have to have breakfast every day at the hotel to get it for £10 each, this was news to us as we didn't even know it was a promotion.
There was no hotel information in the rooms giving you details of offers or breakfast times etc which we found very unusual but the receptionist told us it was company policy. I advised them they might like to review it cause then we would of known about the breakfast promotion instead of expecting the staff to remember all the details to tell us. We were made to feel very uncomfortable, reluctantly the receptionist Alex changed the bill.
We found the receptionists had a couldn't care attitude and were very aloof.
The rooms are a very high standard and the towels were beautifully thick. We had 2 double beds in our room. The shower curtain in our room had mildew on it at the bottom. We only had one bathrobe between 2 but that was a minor point as I wasn't expecting any.The lift had a very strong smell of wet mops, efforts had been made to disguise it with air freshener something more needed to be done as it stunk !
We hired a car from the car rental at the hotel we ordered it online we ordered the smallest car but were given a brand new only just delivered the day before Mini Countryman it cost £49 for 2 days. You need your paper copy of your drivers licence otherwise they have to ring DVLC at a cost of £10.
I was expecting a nice relaxed break but due to the confusion over our booking it spoilt it which was a pity. I am qualified in Hotel & Catering Management if it was up to me I would send the receptionists on a refresher course !

Room Tip: Don't know I was thankful to get one room !
1  Thank RosemaryRose1960
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I am sorry your experience wasn't to our usual high standard, and I would like to assure you that the points you have raised have been fully investigated and re-training issued.

Thank you again for your honest review regarding your stay with us.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived to check into the hotel at half past one and told that we were too early to check in as that commenced at 2pm. This was a slight inconvenience but not wanting to cause a fuss we left our bags in the car and were told that we could pick our room key up later that evening if we were going out for the day. My partner and I discussed getting a taxi at the reception desk but we were not offered to have one called for us as the previous couple standing in front of us had which seemed rather rude! We went out for the day and as promised our key was waiting for us on our return however we were nearly charged for our room again despite having prepaid the amount before arrival and then nearly charged again for breakfast when we had bed and breakfast rate! I worry had I left my card details what other charges I would of incurred?! The beds were comfy and the room well presented but the tea and coffee facilities were half empty and there was a packet of biscuits that had already been opened and eaten from! Again this seemed like a trivial matter so decided to brush off these minor problems and enjoy a restful night. After a comfortable sleep we attended breakfast the next morning. We were left standing for quite some time then greeted by a member of staff who apologised saying that they had just been cleaning up after the 'tours' had been in to dine. There was no evidence of cleaning however as the tables were piled high with dirty dishes! We were sat in the furthest corner from the food despite there being clean, set tables nearer. I explained in conversation that I had worked here once when it was the Marriott and received an inquisition from the lady member of staff saying that she couldn't remember me and that she had been there since the Marriott had opened...for all she knew I had been there as the AA rosette inspector and she was failing epically! We went up to get our food and there was no bread so decided to get the hot items first as this would surely be replenished soon but despite even a second trip back up to the hot items ( of which there were missing items that the menu had stated) there was still no bread! I asked if this could be replenished and the waitress brought out a handful of bread in her hand!! This is both rude and very unhygienic as I had just witnessed her wiping down tables using a COSHH substance! We had to find someone to serve tea and coffee despite the table next to us being offered green tea and when I asked if there were any preserves I was shown a jar of marmalade and Nutella that both had knives used by the previous people still in them! I managed to find a sealed mini pot of jam that had been left on the front desk which at this point had everything ready on it to set up for lunch! Really disappointed with the service and having worked in the food and beverage industry for many years I would suggest rounding up your staff and taking them through the basics again! I had planned on reporting all this when I checked out however the girl on reception who didn't bother to even look up from checking out her bright pink false nails just said "what room?" "That's it thanks" and left me standing looking shocked and very angry! My day did not require being ruined further by asking her to take time away from doing nothing to contact the duty manager! This hotel has huge potential as the building itself is beautiful! I had gone with the consideration of having my wedding there but if staff like that are there I would rather not! Poor poor service Crowne Plaza I had hoped for far better!

4  Thank Collette G

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. We take all feedback seriously and your comments regarding out shortfalls in service and quality have been escalated to our Guest Relations Department within IHG who will be in direct contact with yourself.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this lovely hotel on a brief trip to Liverpool with our daughter (18) .The hotel was in a beautiful Art Deco building that was formally the original Liverpool aerodrome terminal building and had been sympathetically restored and modernised.The hotel had so many Art Deco features making it very interesting and full of character. We had two rooms with a interconnecting door , which is ideal for families. We had a welcome scone, cookies and bottle of wine on arrival.We stayed in the Crown suite area of the hotel which entitled us to use the Crown Lounge (a quite lounge with drinks and canapés) . The staff were very friendly and attentive.The breakfast was buffet style with lots of choice.
There is a very good shopping area opposite the hotel but the main city centre is about a 20 minute taxi drive away. The hotel provides free secure parking.
It was a shame that we were not staying longer in the hotel as it was very comfortable . We would definitely recommend it and hope to return if we were ever visiting Liverpool again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Malcolm H
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My stay at the hotel was really pleasant. There are many good things about it some of which include great buffet breakfast, access to David Lloyd Gym, a great shopping areas just across the road, and near the Boulevard Industry Park in Speke (where my office was located). The bar is enjoyable, with nice food and several TVs to enjoy sports in the evening. The staff was courteous, and the rooms were good and clean.

The only drawback is the distance to the city center; however, I will definitely recommend this to people travelling to Liverpool.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I am pleased you found our hotel met your needs.
I do hope that next time you visit Liverpool and stay with us you take advantage of the daily specials we have available in our Club Central Bar.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Nice and friendly staff, huge variety of food for brekfast, rooms are comfrtable and clean, having a car take a chance to visit liverpool because its 30 minutes drive to city center. really recomend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. We are very pleased that our hotel met your expectations.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there night before going to Barcelona as we had a 7 am flight and I live 2 hours from the airport. Good rates and really nice hotel with free parking for entire trip length which is great. Rooms are typical Crown Plaza and were very clean. The only thing that let the place down was the quality of the food. Let's give it an average out of politeness! Probably an off night for the chef! There are no free shuttles to the airport but taxi cost £4! Black cabs are more expensive!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank arigriffiths

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Liverpool Airport. I am pleased you found the hotel met your needs. I sincerely apologize that you found our food to be not of our normal high standard. If you would like to discuss this matter in mote detail please feel free to contact me at the hotel. gsm.cpliverpool@kewgreen.co.uk.

Many thanks for your feedback.