“Fantastic hotel with friendly, helpful, awesome staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #49 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel with friendly, helpful, awesome staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here at the weekend, booked two rooms for my family and my brother who flew in from Canada. Staff were incredibly helpful and very friendly. The lady on the front desk on Saturday morning was particularly helpful, and I wish I could remember her name so I could post on here. I had a million and one requests, and she dealt with them professionally and politely every single time. There was a wedding going on at the same time, and she just handled everything without breaking a sweat,

The real jewel in the crown of the visit though were the old planes behind the airport. A group of volunteers work on a number of old planes behind the hotel, and we were lucky enough to be there on the Saturday when they came. They were incredibly friendly, and gave us a tour of the planes, told us about the history of the site, and we even got a chance to fly a flight simulator !! The kids were made up after this, and my brother, who happens to be an aerospace engineer was very pleased.

All in all, a great weekend, and this will be my hotel of choice when next I'm up in Liverpool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank boso
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 22 June 2014

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here at Crowne Plaza Liverpool Airport . The art deco style is amazing The staff were all really friendly especially the young lad on the reception (With the black glasses) he is an excellent member of staff and the hotel should be very proud of him.
Would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sj8610211
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding James on reception.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Kind regards

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Although the hotel is in the original airport building, it's a five minute drive from the terminal, so ensure that you have the directions with you.

I booked the dinner, bed & breakfast rate, which I thought was very good value. The parking was free, but you need to ensure you you inform reception of your registration number.

The welcome I received was friendly and overall my room was well furnished and comfortable, with quite a few special finishing touches. The air conditioning was also very welcome on a very humid evening. Unfortunately, while the standard of the room was very good, it was let down by a couple of points - some of the bed springs creaked and there was a very noticeable tear in the net curtain.

The evening meal and breakfast were good, but not inspiring. Service was quite slow.

Overall, this is a nice hotel, but it could easily be so much better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport. As you have mentioned specific issues with your room would you be so kind as to contact me directly at gsm.cpliverpool@kewgreen.co.uk. I will then be able to carry out a thorough investigation.

leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Loved the fact that it is the old airport terminal, and the art deco style is smart and quirky.
The staff were all really friendly and helpful and I felt welcomed.
The breakfast is delicious - with proper sausages (always a good sign when a place has decent sausages!). The evening meal we had steak and that was juicy and cooked perfectly. I ordered peppercorn sauce and it was the the best.
Lots of effort has been made to provide a choice of pillows and other ways to help guests to sleep well, but on a negative note, I felt that the mattress needs replacing.
Over the road from the hotel is a retail park and not far way is Liverpool airport. The city is about 15 mins drive.
Overall a very enjoyable experience and I recommend a stay here - I'll be staying there next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ian369
mango15, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you Ian 369 for your review of Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Liverpool.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We got married here November 2013. BIGGEST mistake of my life agreeing to this venue!! Shocking treatment start to finish, vial food, rude reception staff, countless MASSIVE errors made all resulting in our day being totally ruined. BIGGEST day of my life and I have been left heat broken and parents upset as we and will never get this day back. Went through months after the wedding trying to get everything resolved and got a shocking response that added insult to injury!!! And then eventually £350 compensation!!!! And offer of stay!! No written apology or anything near what we deserved or payed!! Was told very cold and rudely in the end "if you want to take it further I suggest you get a lawyer" this person also pointed out to me that it was in his best interest to "look after the business" so the fact it was a massive day for us was no concern of his! We saved for so long for the wedding and also borrowing we were unable to take this further through courts and felt very intimidated. if anyone would like full and to see all the correspondence and my full original complaint please email me before making any decisions. I would hate anyone to experience what we have. christinekent78@googlemail.com my guests also commented how awful food was and also bad rooms.

Stayed November 2013
12 Thank Christine B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Christine B,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay. I sincerely apologize for the problems experienced with our reception staff and the food served did not meet your standards. We have taken note of your comments regarding the issues you had and I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a stay and park for the airport, We also upgraded for evening meal.

Ok, concept is great, old Art Deco style, maybe the management should take a trip to The Midland at Morecambe to see that Art Deco doesn't mean old fashioned and disrepair.

So good points
- handy for airport
- reception staff friendly
- airport transfer on time and friendly
- food edible
- quirky & enjoyed looking at old planes in car park
- bed comfy, shower great
- staff in restaurant nice and friendly

Not so good points

- very noisy, walls thin, lots of banging and shouting till 3 am, large wedding party in could hear full conversations from adjoining rooms
- the evening meal option was a £15 each credit, not really what was described, ended up as a 102.00 evening meal bill for 2 (72 with "allowance")
- the menu was limited but my steak was nicely cooked, the peppercorn sauce was verging on the unpleasant, too hot. Pip had lamb chops, that looked a little sad and neglected on the plate, poorly seasoned and lacking in taste.
- seeing the kitchen staff at the back door having a ciggie, in their "kitchen" clothes never looks nice and off putting.

So all in all, I wish I had booked into one of the newer hotels an the doorstep of the airport, had a walk around the crowne plaza and eaten out in a Liverpool and hit a taxi, probably cheaper and more enjoyable

PS "James" on reception is a lovely young man with a natural ability to be friendly, a real people person with good attention to detail. Please pass on our thanks

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen D
Thank you for taking the time to write a balanced review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

Your comments regarding our menu pricing and kitchen have been cascaded to our chef, although we do offer a dinner inclusive menu for guests on a Park and Stay rate.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding James and the friendliness of our staff they have been passed on.

Guest Service Manager
Gillingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've come on here as even the hotel survey emailed to me didn't work properly. The first room offered to me was pokey and looked out onto a brick wall. After I sat on the bed which nearly swallowed me whole, for the first time in my life I asked to change rooms. If I'd stayed in room 282 I'd of been in agony with my back. I was offered room 286 which was much better. If you're given the key for 282 just hand it back. It's very Art Deco, sadly the building isn't invested in. The handles have fallen off the curtain pulls. One of the windows didn't have a lock that sort of thing is everywhere if you look closely. The service is very poor especially the breakfast crew who left dirty tables and stayed in the corner chatting. I didn't even know they were staff until one eventually got up from a table and went into the kitchen! The next morning I was on my 3rd helping when the tea was replaced. And I was told the 2nd lady was on her break even though service was due to finish in 20mins! If you don't scratch the surface and don't eat here you'll have a pleasant enough trip. If like me you were on the 3rd hotel in a row that week and could clearly see the difference between a b&b trying hard and at a fraction of the price it was hard not to notice. As someone earlier posted. The staff should be reminded of the basics

Room Tip: Do not accept room 282. 286 was much nicer