“An excellent airport hotel.”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Ranked #48 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Wrexham
“An excellent airport hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2009

We were looking for a hotel to stay in the night before an early flight out of John Lennon Airport. Having looked at a few we decided the deal with 4 days parking at the Crowne Plaza was very good value. It proved to be an excellent decision. We arrived at the hotel the afternoon before and had free use of the David Lloyd Gym & Leisure complex next door. This was an excellent facility, with two pools ( one indoors and one outside), jacuzzi and steam and sauna rooms. Swimming in an outdoor pool in the middle of April was brilliant. The children loved it too! The rooms at the Crowne Plaza were of a very high standard and no extra charge was made for the children. We had free minibus transfer to the airport ( although the driver on the way home was rather heavy on the pedal and we were flung around in the back of the minibus!) We would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Buxton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

Stayed here on business in March 2009. The architecture is very impressive at first, but once the light comes up you realise that the art deco renovation has been done on the cheap. My father-in -law used to be a joiner and did all the inlaid veneer working on all the art deco buildings in Birmingham, and he wouldn't have been impressed with the chipboard theatre scenery style art deco used n this hotel. Nevertheless, it's still a good attempt and the fact that the hotel is staffed by friendly, competent, English speaking staff is a bonus. The food is excellent. You don't often say that you would choose to have a meal in an airport hotel, but the food was so good in this one that I would indeed choose it. Nice room, free parking, free internet and an enjoyable experience overall.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

We chose this hotel for my mother in law's 80th birthday with her extended family;We were having a celebration dinner in the restaurant but we found the menu had very little choice for a hotel of that standard.The steaks were plain without a choice of sauce and the desserts were not presented very well.We had to send my mother in law's meal back as it was undercooked they did change it for something else without any fuss.There was nothing wrong with the food just very ordinary for a hotel of that standard.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

My wife and I had to attend a family event in Warrington, with some visiting in Liverpool I decided that this hotel would be more sensible than one in Liverpool City Centre.

The hotel is convenient for the M62 (less than ten minutes) and only fifteen/twenty minutes into the City Centre and, of course, only a couple of minutes from John Lennon airport.

Check-in was brisk and efficient, we'd booked a suite (at a good price) and while some of the hallways smelt musty the room itself was excellent.

The heart of any hotel is its bedrooms, and this is still a Marriott at heart, Crowne Plaza have yet to stamp their own character on the rooms and for one I was pleased, we were greeted with a massive, comfortable, Marriott bed.

The public rooms are pleasantly decorated in the Art Deco style, with classic vintage airline posters. The bar was comfortable and the bar meals (we didn't try the restaurant) were served quickly and were tasty. The bar tab didn't feature the obligatory service charge either, which was a pleasant surprise, I don't expect to pay a service charge for having a pint pulled!

The staff were fine, although the nibbles in the 'executive lounge' were cleared away with frightening speed at seven thirty... I suppose they didn't want reviews claiming that the room wasn't kep tidy.

So, all in all, and partcularly given some of the negative reviews on this site, we were pleasantly surprised. It's a comfortable, well placed hotel, with a lot going for it. I would not have a problem going back... unless they change the beds!

• Liked — Public rooms were well decorated, reflecting the golden age of travel.
  • Disliked — The exective lounge was spartan, but serviceable
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

Stayed here in December for one night as I was going to see Liverpool play. My girlfriend went shopping for the day. It is near the airport which was handy for our early flight, and they run a shuttle airport service.
Fair enough this Hotel is out of town so costs a few quid in a taxi (which staff had no problem arranging!). The rooms were very large, modern and clean. Cant comment much on hotel facilities as I was not long in the hotel. But as i am a rgular visitor to Liverpool for matches this Hotel was as good as any i have stayed in. Rooms here are actually nicer than the Radisson in town! My girlfriend, who is particular about room size & quality, thought it was lovely. Breakfast was nice and fresh. Good selection.
Overall could not complain considering it cost me £100 B&B for us both.
Will come back again!

• Liked — Price & comfort. Near the airport.
  • Disliked — Getting taxi in and out of town. But I wanted to be near the airport so cant complain!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We stayed on the weekend before Christmas for one night and had a pleasant stay.

First we were pleasantly surprised by the building and its setting - art deco airport.

The staff at book in were friendly and helpful and the room we had was very good.

We did not eat in apart from breakfast - we found the food of a good quality and selection but the staff were a bit "off". On our day there seemed to be a number of arguements going on about staff changes - all in public. However, this did not impact on us and when a mother arrived at a nearby table with a young child the staff appeared to be helpful.

This hotel is surprisingly close to central Liverpool if you have a car.

We had a pleasant stay and would use this hotel again.

• Liked — Decor and Room
  • Disliked — Not much
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Warrington, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

My now husband and I were getting married a few miles away at Sefton Palm House on New Years Eve and my parents booked us into the hotel to spend our wedding night and the night after in the Ambassador suite. I also stayed with a friend the night before the wedding in an Executive room. The hotel gave us a number of rooms at a discounted rate for a number of our guests, of which around 22 stayed at the hotel.

From the start the service from the staff hasn't been the best and the lady who my mum originally made the group booking with was unhelpful to say the least. Two weeks before the wedding, I popped in to have a look at the suite and asked for this person, she refused to come to the reception to see me. I asked again if I could see her and she came down and was very rude asking me "what did I want". In the end I dealt with another lady who was much more friendly and who sorted the booking. We wanted to book another night in the hotel and left messages for people to call but they never did. I had to keep ringing to book the room...I am a bit flumoxed to how in this current economic climate that hotels are biting people's hands off for bookings.

On checking into the hotel with my friend, we were given the key to the Executive room and everything was fine. The room was big and clean. We were also told that the key gave us access to the Club Lounge where a variety of hot and cold drinks were available. We checked in and went in search of a drink....what we found was a messy room with hardly and cold drinks in it. We put it down to it being quite late and went out to eat. The next day, the staff kindly let my friend stay in that room when she had only booked a standard for no extra charge. We went for breakfast and didn't receive the best service off one of the staff there. The Ambassador suite was prepared and they allowed me to check in early to begin my wedding preparations.

My soon to be in-laws checked into their room and it had not been cleaned or made over, my 9 year old niece was with them and was freaked out by this and left a bag of wedding presents and cards that she was carrying when they had to leave. My husband went down to tell the reception about the room and they replied "Oh not that again" . He was not happy at having to sort this out on his wedding day and had much better things to be doing with his time as you can imagine!

The suite is a beautiful room, but I would've expected some sort of recognition from the hotel that it was my wedding day. The lady who made the booking said that there would be fresh flowers in there, instead all I got was a dead plant. We noticed that the room was very cold downstairs and subsequently left the heating on when I left for the wedding at 4.15pm and drew all the curtains. On arrival back to the suite with my husband we found it to be freezing cold. We spent out wedding night freezing cold under the duvet wearing our robes (there was only one robe in the room when we checked in, my friend gave me hers from her exec room). This was hardly a romantic 'scenario' for our wedding night. We awoke in the morning and went down for breakfast...again, no nice touches like being offered breakfast in bed were given offered us.

The literature in the room had stated that breakfast was finishing at 11.30am in New Years Day, so we got there at 10.55am, the lady who was seating people "barked" at us do you know what time it is....it finishes at 11am there's no seats for you. I could not believe it, I told her that the literature stated in all of the rooms that breakfast was until 11.30am and that there was a seat with my mother and father-inlaw but she told us we could sit in the corner away from our family and friends as there was no more culterly on their table.....again, I was totally bemused to what type of operation was this place running. My father-in law told her that we had just got married and it was also my 30th birthday and she backed down but was not happy. At least another 10 people came for breakfast and she was furious. I and others in our party complained to the reception immediately afterwards.

Our room was partly cleaned on new years day and none of the bathroom products that we'd used were restocked. The duvet cover was open and you could see the duvet underneath the sheets and there was a flm of dust on the headboard. We spoke to the reception about the cold and a heater was brought up with the porter. We had been to the club lounge to get a drink and there was nothing in it at all...there were used plates and napkins everywhere. We asked the porter was it being restocked and he said "well, it's not busy you see but I'll put something in for you". We thought great and thanks.....a couple of bottles of water were put in around the mess and that was that.

I don't really know how to conclude this posting, we had a lovely time at the hotel because it was a special time to us and we did not wany anything to spoil our wedding, honeymoon, and my 30th birthday. We didn't complain on checkout as it's not how you want to end your honeymoon is it, instead we will be writing a letter.

It is a beautiful hotel and the Ambassador suite is lovely, it is just such a huge shame that the important touches are being overlooked. We would not want anyone to be discouraged from staying here and will be offering constructive feedback to the management. One of the weddng guests had come over from America, she is in charge of a large number of staff at an Airport. there...her concluding words about the service were...if they were my staff " I would fire them". She geniunely meant it and if it was in America one would wonder how such a beautiful hotel could be experiencing these problems...any ideas I would like to hear them?!

• Liked — The Ambassador Suite, lovely view from terrace
  • Disliked — The shoddy Service
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)