“wonderful trip - again”

Ranked #47 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
the cotswolds, england
“wonderful trip - again”
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Just got back after doing family christmas presents trip, we regularly stay at this hotel, and as usual had no problems. We decided to treat ourselves to the ABBA tribute night, and have to say from time we walked thru the doors to leaving earlier today couldnt have wished for a better time. The staff excel themselves, with their friendliness. Stayed in the executive rooms, (as we go every 8 wks or so we alternate exec/standard rooms). We were told that the exec lounge nibbles would be delayed by about 15 mins, due to there having been a meeting, no probs with that, and Jenny who 'does' the lounge is lovely. Our room was great, with lovely fresh bathrobes and even a platter of fruit.
The food on the tribute night was fabulous, really fresh, hot and tasty, no mess up with any of the ordering, wine we ordered in the chiller tubs, even the young manager on duty came over to ensure all ok. I know the prices in the main bar are a bit excessive, but have to say in the Aerial room they were really good, top marks from us 2 on that.
As we have stayed quite a no. of times have got to know a few of the staff. We had room service for our last night, we asked if there was any chance of normal fries instead of skin on, and fortuately enough we were able to have them, not always possible we know.
Having the retail park over the road is great, you could always get nibbles etc from M & S. Hope you enjoy your trip, we are already looking forward to ours.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
England
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Stayed for 3 nights for business, the hotel is beautiful inside, we used one of the Conference Rooms and the Staff made us feel very welcomed and tended to our every need without fuss, the restaurant was an experience, the food was amazing there and even though there are restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, the food was far more superior in the hotel restaurant, the only down side I would say and this isnt really gripe, the bar prices are a bit heavy for some drinks but given the surroundings we where in, I was quite happy to spend and evening there with my colleagues, over the road from the hotel is a retail park that has every major store on it, from B&Q to M&S, so we where also able to do a little shopping too without worrying about carrying it for ages before we got back to the hotel. Checking in and out of the hotel was quite seamless too, polite and courteous, will be coming here again if I need to be back in the area.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Tyne & Wear U.K
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Stayed for a friends wedding in the hotel and was immediately impressed with the art deco style of the hotel. Checking-in was hassle-free and the staff were really friendly. Like previous reviews, it appears that they need to get a grip with the cleaning staff-we stayed on the second floor and the entire corridor was littered with old wine-bottles and food-surely it wouldn't take much doing for a member of staff to sweep through the corridors a couple of times a day. The room was lovely but showing signs of wear-one of the pictures had countless bumps and scrapes and the grouting was missing from some of the bathroom tiles. The mini-bar had been emptied due to a problem with the supplier which was also disappointing. Minor gripes aside I thought the room was lovely and one of the nicest I have stayed in for a long while. The Bed was massive and soooooo comfortable-it was worth staying there for the bed alone. We were fed at the wedding so cannot comment on the evening meal but the breakfast was lovely. Couple of lights needed replacing in the restaurant which again contributed to the rather worn feeling of the hotel. It may feel like I am being picky but if only the owners concentrated on the little matters then the hotel would be perfect! Had a lovely stay and would definitely go again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Merseyside
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I took my son for a break to escape. We had an amazing time i can say everything i experience was spot on and couldnt have asked for anything more from the staff, they were all so helpful and interested why i was staying its such a pleasure to get welcomed in a good way. Being there was like home from home, i would recomend this to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Didsbury, Manchester
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have wanted to go to this hotel since it opening as I am a great fan of Art Deco, I especially wanted to stay in the suite which is located in the old control tower.

Booking was a nightmare. I called the hotel and explained that I wanted to speak to someone who could describe to suite to me – every time, I was put through to Central Reservations who had no idea of the layout of the suite – the best they could come up with was “it must be good because it’s the most expensive”.

We arrived at the hotel at 15:20 to be told that the room was not ready (this being their top and most expensive suite!). When I asked from what time the room should have been ready I was told 14:00.

A 40 minute wait and we were given the key to our suite. The area is split level with a large hallway with bathroom and dressing room, which then leads to an elevated sitting and dinning area – the TV is on the wall opposite to the sofa, which has to be about 30ft away! It was very dark in this area so we switched the lights on, only to find 3 of the ceiling lights did not work. From here you walk down a staircase to the sleeping area which has a huge bed, second TV, mini-bar, additional seating and coffee table, plus doors which lead onto the roof terrace.

On switching the lights on in the sleeping area, we discovered another 2 bulbs out. Also everywhere had a thick layer of dust. I called reception and concierge arrived with replacement bulbs, and a cleaner arrived to dust.

Before booking we had read of the Executive Lounge with “free bar and canapés”. We headed into the Exec Lounge at about 6ish – not even the lights were on, let alone any sign of drinks or something to nibble. Another visit to Reception, and we were told that they would “get it set up” – we went out for 15 mins or so and when we came back the guy behind reception said “I’ve put a bottle or red and a bottle of white wine up there, but someone else has just gone up so if you need another bottle give us a call”. I asked about the canapés and was told “Oh, we don’t do them anymore”.

I went to the restaurant to book a table for dinner, to be told that because it was Sunday the restaurant was closed, but we could eat in the bar! Surely we should have been told that there was no restaurant service when we booked. We ended up ordering room service and eating in our room – my advice is to give the food a miss, we both ended up very ill that night.

After eating our dinner in our room, we noticed how cold it was, and attempted to reduce the level of the cool air from the air conditioning unit. We found this impossible. I telephoned reception, they told me that I had to set it to level 2 and then wait up to 20 minutes for it to take effect. 30 minutes later, we were sat in our coats because it was so cold. I telephoned reception again and concierge and the Night Manager attended – they advised that there was a fault with the air conditioning, and that they could not reduce the level of coolness, nor could they even switch it off!!!! However they did provide us with 3 electric oil filled radiators to counteract the a/c!

I did fill in the comment card, but never received any feedback.

Whilst this stay was a catalogue of disasters, the staff did everything that they could to help to rectify matters, so whilst I give the actual hotel 0/10 I do give the staff 9/10.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed 24 September 2009

When we stayed at this hotel the room was very good ,very clean and the staff could not do enough for us. I asked about the car valeting service when i asked the staff sorted this while we where away.
I have told my friends about this hotel. We hope to return later this year or the start of next.

Dave from Hull

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Unknown
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Ive stayed here 4 times now, both for work and leisure. Its fantastic and has a lot of history as it was the old airport. Lovely architecture, great food, shops nearby and the rooms are so comfortable. dont forget to go round the back and check out the old planes if aviation's your thing. This is the airport where the Beatles arrived at (the one you always see on old footage). Its not just an airport hotel, it has so much character.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business