“Awful Staff!!”

Ranked #549 of 1,700 Restaurants in Liverpool
Price range: US$4 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
“Awful Staff!!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

After reading the other reviews there is clearly a common theme here. I attended The Lodge on Saturday evening for a friends birthday. The staff were already working at a very slow pace, but when we finally got served we ordered a round of drinks (3 drinks) between three of us. In order to split the cost I asked how much the "round" would come to "altogether." The bartender told me £12.... Then made up the third drink and asked me for an additional £6+ ... She clearly did not understand what I meant by "How much will the round cost ALTOGETHER?" (which was also pricey...so who knows if she even priced it up correctly?!?). I voiced politely that she had not listened to me. In the meantime this little bloke...(who I believe to be the manager) hurried to the doormen who then told us to drink up and leave!!! He claimed that we had refused to pay, which was certainly not the case!!! I was mortified that someone would suggest that I would not pay for drinks I have ordered... and have never experienced anything like it before. The bar staff act as though you should be grateful to be served by them. I certainly won't be drinking there again. I advise you to keep your guard up if you choose to...

Hire some friendly and competent staff!!!

Paul S, Area Manager at The Lodge - Ale House & Kitchen, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your review, we have recently overhauled all members of the team at The Lodge, we do hope you'll come and try us again.

We apologise for any mistreatment you've received in the past by our former employee's.

“Nice place”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I think this is a nice place : the building in itself is rather typical and the inside is also typically English. The food is good and not expensive, I often order an English breakfast which is not disappointing at all !
I cannot judge the ales since I'm not drinking but regarding the food, I think it's a good place to eat with friends.
The only bad point is that if you sit next to a window, it is always cold !

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bar staff act as if you are honoured to be served by them.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Lodge calls itself an alehouse, yet there are hardly any draught ales and these are often 'off' anyway. The food was ok, but, to be honest, the attitude of the staff on the bar was so poor as to colour my judgement of the evening. We had to wait ages to be served, admittedly it was quite busy, and then, despite acknowledging that we were waiting, the girl on the bar served somebody who had only just approached the bar whilst draining his glass. There was little knowledge of the wines on offer and no enthusiasm, not even a smile or brief apology for our wait - these little things go a long way to appeasing p'd off punters! There is a stupid double toilet in the ladies becuse 'women like to go together' and in the remaining toilets you had to decide whether you wanted a) a cubicle which locks or b) one with a light.. There is also always a terrible smell of drains and last time I was there the soaking wet floor (soaking with what I hate to imagine, but it was in the toilets so..) was covered with soggy cardboard which had been used in an attempt to soak it up... Where the arrogant attitude comes from I have no idea, there is little to be proud of in this establishment in my opinion.

Visited August 2013
Conor D, Manager at The Lodge - Ale House & Kitchen, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. We're glad you found the food to be of a reasonable standard but am deeply disappointed that your experience was marred by the unhelpfulness of staff and a other aspects of the establishment.

We have undergone some major changes in the past few weeks with regards to management and staff and have addressed many of the points you raised in your review.

Amongst other things we have worked hard to recurit new staff members that will embody the standards we expect at The Lodge, we have taken out the double toilet and more recently updated all our Real Ales so we have a greater variety to choose from, however we can not forsee their popularity.

We hope that you would be pleasantly surprised were you to pay us another visit and we would be glad to show you that we take pride in turning this establishment into one that meets the needs and standards of yourself.
“Fresh new look ”
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my friends recently went to lark lane after not going there for a while it was nice to see the lodge has improved on all aspects we planned to stay for one drink but ended up staying all night great food (especially the burgers)
and good range of beers also a nice quirky atmosphere would definately recomend a visit

We are glad you enjoyed your visit. We have quite a varied menu to suit all tastes but you're right about the burgers, i may be biased but they're delicious.

We have recently improved our drinks selection and are working on a new menu that should be inplace for springtime.
“Hire new bar staff!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Needs to hire a cleaner! Always smells like gym socks mixed with stale beer. Glasses are consistently dirty. Bar staff are consistently unhelpful, particularly the manager. Hire adults not teenagers! The lodge needs to clean up its act. I know it's lost the custom of several friends who are more than happy to drink in other bars on lark lane. Shame as it was nice when it opened.

• Visited October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge.

I am sorry to hear about your previous experience being a bad one but would like to let you know that we have recently reviewed our staff and management and are working towards making The Lodge into a fine establishment once again.

Hope you pop in for a drink soon and see whats changed.