“Very good value and excellent location ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Liverpool Central The Strand

Travelodge Liverpool Central The Strand
Ranked #30 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Very good value and excellent location ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights for the Giants weekend. Very good value, modern hotel with great breakfast and bar. Much better than most Travelodges and staff very friendly and helpful. Due to the weather this week the rooms were warm as they don't have air conditioning but there are not many occasions when it is the hot. They did supply us with two fans which did help. Would definitely use this hotel again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Wonderfully situated overlooking Albert Dock. All the staff are extremely pleasant and friendly and for an elderly lady as myself it was lovely in the evenings to be able to have a meal in my hotel and then a stroll along to the Pier Head.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Perth And Kinross, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was my best friend and I's third trip to Liverpool, but our first stay in the travelodge. The hotel is centrally located and is absolutely super for access to all of the main tourist spots in Liverpool.
Our room was located on the fourth floor and from opening the hotel room door the immediate heat was felt. A fan had already been set up in the room and was switched on. We attempted to sleep the first night with the window also wide open and were constantly disrupted by noise outside the hotel such as glass bottles being collected at 4am. We lay on top of the bed but neither of us slept. The following night I asked for another fan - the weather was hot outside but was horrendous in the room. The hotel staff could not have apologised more and did everything they could to help. My main concern was for my best friend who has a severe heart condition and has a pace maker fitted. I was watching her struggling with tiredness and becoming exhausted as the nights went on - this impacted her during the day and I became worried for her feeling unwell. On our last night which was even hotter than the others both my friend and I slept on the floor beside the fans. I was so glad to return home for a sleep after what should have been a relaxing getaway.
I absolutely love Liverpool and it is by far my favourite city getaway and will always be a first call for a girly weekend. But I will not return to this hotel next year unless I can be guaranteed that the rooms will be air conditioned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My fiancee and i stayed at the Travelodge Liverpool Central The Strand for two nights in July.

The Travelodge is around 30 seconds - 1 minute walk from James Street Station and would be hard to miss! There is a Tesco connected to the hotel which is extremely handy (the Tesco is open from 8:00am - 11:00pm daily). You need to go up to the first floor to check in as thats where reception is; there are two lifts available for those that require it.

We arrived at 1:55pm and we werent able to check in as it was too early which was fair enough. We were able to check in at 2:30pm; check in was very quick and very easy and the staff member checking us in was extremely polite. We were in room 208 on the second floor; it was a lovely room including a kettle, TV with limited channels, desk, chair and a fan which was already on. The room faced the main road unfortunately which wasnt ideal but it wasnt too bad.

The Travelodge proved an ideal place to base ourselves from in Liverpool. Its around 3 minutes walk to the Albert Dock, 3 minutes to the High street and perhaps 4 minutes to the Liverpool One. It is far enough away that there arent too many people around the hotel all the time but close enough that you can still feel 'involved' in the city centre whenever you wish. Its a safe area and it feels as such, i think you could be confident walking around in the area regardless of who you are with.

The Travelodge itself features a restaurant (which we didnt try but it looked delicious!) and a small bar which we did use and found extremely cheap. Whilst there arent any restaurants immediately next to the Travelodge there are plentiful restaurants in the high street and Albert Dock around 3 minutes walk away.

I would have given the hotel 5 stars however as other reviewers have mentioned the issue with this hotel is the heat. There is no air conditioning in the rooms and everytime you came back to the hotel room it was extremely hot and the fan did not provide enough respite from this. It made it difficult to sleep as you had to decide between opening the window and listening to the traffic outside or leaving the window closed and struggling to sleep in the heat. The traffic is actually quite loud as its a busy street and while i found it okay to sleep through my girlfriend didnt and it disturbed her sleep so we closed the window in the end. The rest of the night was uncomfortable and very hot.
Also, because you had to leave the window open all day so that you wouldnt slowly cook in your room when you got back there was an unfortunate pollution smell in the room when you came back which really wasnt nice at all. You seemed to get used to it after a minute or so though so not a big deal.

To sum up - the hotel is in a great location, its great value, its got nice rooms and the staff are really nice. I imagine in the autumn/winter it would be absolutely perfect! However if you are planning a summer stay then get ready for a hot nights sleep!!

I definitely think we would stay again, even with the heat. A very good hotel especially considering the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesnt face the main road; it would be quieter, wouldnt have as much heat and th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed in this Travelodge for 6 nights in July 2014. The location, staff & room generally were excellent. The hotel had been refurbished & was in keeping with the higher standard of rooms in this chain. I stay in Travelodges regularly. Under any other circumstances, this Travelodge would have earned 5 stars.
However the temperature in the room was stiflingly hot. As soon as I checked in, the staff warned me & offered me a fan. I havent needed one before but within a couple of hours, I took them up on their offer.The outside temperature was not excessively hot and very little direct sun hit the room. The fan made a slight difference, without it I would have checked out of the hotel & sacrificed my pre payment. To give an indication of the heat, I had a bar of chocolate with me overnight and it melted...even with the fan on all night.
I would stay in this hotel again but never in the summer months unless they install air conditioning. I would have happily paid a few pounds a night extra for this. The staff were very sympathetic & helpful, I cant fault them. They said it was an ongoing problem with this hotel.
Another issue was once either the window was open or the fan was on, you couldn't hear the TV. The volume was set too low at its highest setting. I recently stayed in another Travelodge(Kew Bridge) during very hot weather, much hotter than my stay in Liverpool. There was a fan in the room when I arrived and whilst the hot was hot, it was bearable. The fan kept me cool. Plus when the fan was on, the TV volume setting was fine, much higher, and I had no problem hearing it.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Avoid in the summer months. Rooms on the higher floors at the front have great views of th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Check it is straight forward! when to room and the smell of lemons was overpowering but turned the air freshener off. Very clean! smoke detector flashing Lovely view over the docks. Only problem in sleep was smoke detector flashing red every 10 seconds. Breakfast was basic but the sausages where spot on in flavor and toast was average but they where tight on drink cups as they kept on running out. Very friendly! Would come again as it is superb!

Room Tip: Use your phone's data package and use WiFI Tethering as WiFi is a ripoff!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Booked this hotel last minute, an hour or so before arriving in Liverpool. Perfect location, central to pretty much everything and we had a fabulous view over Albert Docks. Check in was quick and easy, but when we got to our room we noticed it hadn't been cleaned, dirty towels in the bathroom, hairs in the bed, and other people's rubbish still on the desk. Not sure if this was down to our late booking but I'd have thought the room would be cleaned as soon as the previous guests had left! Told the reception staff who apologised and said they'd have a look, and gave us a new room. New room was lovely and clean, everything you'd expect from a Travelodge really. I think the room was around £55 for the night, cheapest we could find that central on short notice. Adequate really, but brilliant location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple