“Loved the Hope Street Hotel!”
Review of Hope Street Hotel

Hope Street Hotel
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Ireland
“Loved the Hope Street Hotel!”
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I can't find fault with this hotel after a wonderful two-night stay. A true boutique hotel, the rooms are spacious and modern and exude luxury. Unlike some other reviewers, we didn't experience any problems with the heat once we adjusted the thermostat.

We found the staff were very friendly and professional throughout our stay. We ate in the hotel restaurant (London Carriage Works) on the first night as it was my husband's birthday and again everything was top notch. Given it is one of the top restaurants in the city, it was not expensive especially considering the quality of the food and service.

The hotel is located in a nice part of town with lots of pubs (check out the Philhamonic down the road), restaurants and theatres close by. It is easily within walking distance of the main shopping areas in the centre of the city.

We got a bargain rate through hotels.com as standard rates listed in the hotel were much higher although I can see why. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a taste of luxury in Liverpool.

• Liked — Luxurious rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank Laurared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2009

There was a power cut when I checked in and there was no running water or electricity. Not the fault of the hotel admittedly but we were offered no apologies for the inconvenience. We were told it would be back on within the hour but two hours later we were yet to be able to see anything, have a wash or even use the loo! We went out and returned in the early hours of the morning but unfortunately the power was still not on, so we had to pack our stuff in the dark (with a candle) and move hotels to one arranged for us by the Hope Street. The alternative hotel was awful, totally unsuitable for guests expecting to stay in a boutique hotel and I was expected to pay £80 for the privelege of staying there! I phoned the Hope Street to ask them to arrange alternative accomodation and they refused to speak to me, so I returned in a taxi to the hotel. After being sworn and shouted at, the two of us (two females) were left to wander the streets of Liverpool with our bags looking for somewhere to stay. I am absolutely disgusted by the treatment of the staff at this hotel - the staff couldn't care less about our inconvenience (it was as though they didn't care because it wasn't their fault) and to be sent to a dump of a hotel and to be told to pay for it was abosolutely out of order. I will never stay in this hotel for as long as I live and recommend that no one else does either.

• Liked — The hotel itself is nicely done
  • Disliked — The treatment from the staff is something I have never experienced before
3 Thank Wilmslow2009
Kildare
Reviewed 24 January 2009

I booked 3 nights in this hotel as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend and it was fantastic! We were escorted up to our rooms and shown some of the features including the underfloor heating and huge rainfall shower. It's a nice touch that they only use fresh milk for making tea or coffee so you ring down and they send up a little jug. The only problem was the heat seemed to be on constantly in the en suite which made it too warm to stay in there long and made the room very warm also, particularly at night. However we used the fan provided and slept comfortably. There was a power cut on the day we were checking out and although they didn't have all their computer systems up and running they did their best to get us out as efficiently as possible. Our only gripe is that our DVD that we had brought is stuck in the DVD player due to the power cut and although they've said they will post it I'm not holding my breath!

• Liked — the super friendly staff and amazing room service
  • Disliked — the heat in the room
1 Thank Stella2222
Dublin / London
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I only wish work would send me to Liverpool more often so I could stay here.

Rooms are beautiful, staff are fantastic; I arrived quite late and the sandwich they fixed me up and brought to my room was delectable!

To top it off, the poached eggs i had the next morning were some of the finest I've ever eaten.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank ruairc
Wrexham
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Stayed here for one night on the 29th November with my wife.

Wanted the stay to be something special so asked for the best room in the hotel.

Visually it is impressive, split level and well done. A few niggles though. I am 6 foot 1 and I could not stand up straight under the shower head - understandable if this was the middle ages but I'm not that tall by modern standards. Odd to have no soap dishes either, nice bars of soap but nowhere to put them after opening. We also found the room incredibly hot, even on a cold winter's night. We tried the aircon but it didn't seem to make any difference so we opened the windows - not recommended on a Saturday night - the noise from people going home only eased off at about 4am.

This room cost £300 for one night. That is a lot of money for room only. You don't get breakfast in that price and, as I found out, you don't get your parking either - £10 on top.

Breakfast - the bit we all look forward to at a hotel. I waited 30 minutes for my cooked breakfast, complained and was told the chef hadn't been told about the order. Not all the staff serving breakfast seemed that pleased to be there. Final thing - when our one little pot of marmalade ran out, we asked for another. 5 minutes later we were told that the hotel had run out of marmalade!! How is this possible?

When I paid at reception I was asked if everything had been alright. I told the girl about the problem with breakfast. She did seem to register my concern but there was no offer to waive the cost of the meal - am I being too picky?

This hotel needs to rethink its ideas on pricing and service. I have stayed at other 'boutique' hotels and have never felt moved to write negative reviews. The management of this hotel could do worse than to go and spend a night at 42 The Calls in Leeds to see how things ought to be done!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Honest_John_Wrexham
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2008

My wife took me to the Hope Street Hotel for the weekend of my 60th birthday. It couldn't have been better - a wonderful, comfortable hotel, with friendly staff and a great location. The room was elegant and stylish - and not too warm!
We had two dinners in the restaurant, the London Carriage Rooms, and it was FABULOUS! I cannot understand why the previous reviewer said it was so poor - I've eaten in Michelin-starred restaurants, and the LCR dinner was one of the top five meals of my life!
All-in-all a terrific weekend.

• Liked — Elegance
  • Disliked — Fiddly bath/shower taps
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Golf del Sur, Spain
Reviewed 27 October 2008

i found this to be a great hotel, though the room was a little hot for me. we were there for three days and ate twice in the attached restaurant which on both days was a disaster both in service and food, even the breakfast was a disappointment.
sent email and letter to the chef/owner, no reponse, not surprising really.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — attached restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)